forum

Is alternating bad?

posted
Total Posts
show more
GhostFrog
Just do whatever feels most comfortable and don't force yourself to play any specific way. I don't think alternating overall hurts your streaming potential because while it does prevent you from training stamina on singletaps, it allows you to play maps with higher bpm short streams, since you won't get tired out from all the "singletaps" in-between. I suspect players who alternate end up with lower sustained stream speed and higher burst stream potential than singletappers in general, but I have absolutely no basis for that conclusion beyond theorycrafting and my personal experience with alternating.
[HDHR]
I've always fully alternated and when i started i also had the same question so i'd like to point some things:

- Alternating is like streaming throught everything - Wrong - Alternating also has a singletap "mode" which is when you click harder on the keys and/or also use your wrist.

- Alternating is obviously faster than singletap (when singletaping).

- Singletap is probably more accurate than alternating but not a very significant difference and it gives a better overall control specially in patterns.

- Alternating is harder to master.

Some other facts:

- You don't simply singletap everything but streams, everyone ends up having to alternate.

- (this one is just an opinion) i believe singletapers sometimes need to decide between alternating or singletaping while alternators dont need to decide that and being able to start streams with both fingers it's a plus.
[HDHR]
Also alternating iis less harmfull to the wrist when playing for an extended ammount of time
bigfeh

[HDHR] wrote:

Also alternating iis less harmfull to the wrist when playing for an extended ammount of time
Honey, the wrist is still the same. No amount of alternating will hurt it less or more
nrl

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed and is bad
There's no logical reason for it to hurt your speed substantially, single-tapping and streaming don't have much overlap in terms of hand movements. And even if alternating doesn't train speed as much, you'll be leagues ahead of single-tappers in terms of hand synchronization, which is important for things like spaced streams. That plus the obvious increase in stamina more than makes up for whatever shortcomings alternating may have. Honestly, the only reason it isn't as prevalent as single-tapping is because it's less intuitive and has a stigma.

bigfeh wrote:

Honey, the wrist is still the same. No amount of alternating will hurt it less or more
Yo, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. You don't move your wrist at all when you alternate, and the vast majority of players single-tap exclusively with their wrist.
[HDHR]

bigfeh wrote:

[HDHR] wrote:

Alternate using the wrist for more control and accuracy
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
bigfeh

[HDHR] wrote:

Alternate using the wrist for more control and accuracy
are you being intentionally dense?
autoteleology

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed
Hahaha wut? How do you get more speed with one finger over two fingers?
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating hurts your speed
Before laughing off an actual point, maybe you should use that fucking brain of yours

If you can singletap 200bpm without needing to alternate, then you can alternate at higher speeds. If you can singletap at 200bpm with both fingers, you should get to about 400bpm when alternating

If you have the speed on both fingers alone, when you combine them you get faster. It really isn't hard to realize
[HDHR]
Before laughing off an actual point, maybe you should use that fucking brain of yours

If you can singletap 200bpm without needing to alternate, then you can alternate at higher speeds. If you can singletap at 200bpm with both fingers, you should get to about 400bpm when alternating

If you have the speed on both fingers alone, when you combine them you get faster. It really isn't hard to realize
Please do yourself a favor, find a hole and burry yourself because potato logic should stay underground. Take your cancer somwhere else.
Yuudachi-kun
I just like, alternate sliders and stuff.
koromo

bigfeh wrote:

Have you ever seen Fuyu, HAUHAU or Yazone play? They all alternate and are definitely fast. I don't see how alternating is bad.

If you want to be fast, you play fast maps and practice streaming. This is the same regardless of play style. Single tapping won't make you instantly fast either, you need to practice accordingly.
dung eater
alternating is fun and cures smallpox
bigfeh

[HDHR] wrote:

Please do yourself a favor, find a hole and burry yourself because potato logic should stay underground. Take your cancer somwhere else.
jesus I'm fucking done with you

you're either retarded or an extremely good troll

koromo wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Have you ever seen Fuyu, HAUHAU or Yazone play? They all alternate and are definitely fast. I don't see how alternating is bad.

If you want to be fast, you play fast maps and practice streaming. This is the same regardless of play style. Single tapping won't make you instantly fast either, you need to practice accordingly.
yeah let's just selectively fucking ignore parts of what I posted just to make me look like a retard

instead you might've just made a retard of yourself
jasian
Why are people so mad in these forums. Alternate on patterns that you find hard to read, but always try to improve your single tapping. I find that alternating at AR10 and above makes it easier to hit accurately, maybe I'm still too slow.
koromo

bigfeh wrote:

yeah let's just selectively fucking ignore parts of what I posted just to make me look like a retard

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, so I apologize if that's how you perceived it, I realize you said either works and you should stick with whatever works for you, but I disagree with the specific point I quoted. You really don't need to make the switch to single tapping to get faster, and switching won't necessarily make you faster either.

In the end it's all about whether you practice or not. You have to identify your weakness and work on it, it has nothing to do with play style.
bigfeh

koromo wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, so I apologize if that's how you perceived it, I realize you said either works and you should stick with whatever works for you, but I disagree with the specific point I quoted. You really don't need to make the switch to single tapping to get faster, and switching won't necessarily make you faster either.

In the end it's all about whether you practice or not. You have to identify your weakness and work on it, it has nothing to do with play style.
Sure, agreed

there really isn't any way to disagree with facts. Bad is subjective

@edit

litejason wrote:

Why are people so mad in these forums. Alternate on patterns that you find hard to read, but always try to improve your single tapping. I find that alternating at AR10 and above makes it easier to hit accurately, maybe I'm still too slow.
you're like the billionth person that implies I'm mad

I am not
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
Lagel
tap/x noobs
trebby

bigfeh wrote:

it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
so why are you guys arguing.
autoteleology

bigfeh wrote:

By your logic I should be able to stream 800BPM if I bind M1 and M2 to the keyboard and use four fingers. Obviously this is not the case and not because of artificial technical limitations of binding M1 and M2 to keyboard. You've basically committed the fallacy of composition with your statement. Single tapping only makes you good at single tapping, though the reverse is not true for alternating.
Lagel

CuboidBeats wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
so why are you guys arguing.
someone has to be right
-sev

bigfeh wrote:

I should definitely note, however that it's possible to git gud with anything, so...
git gud with a trackball skrub
jasian

bigfeh wrote:

I am not
Why do you assume I'm directing this at you? Everyone seems butthurt enough to post some nasty words to each other. I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
autoteleology

litejason wrote:

I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
Hello? You're on G&R. Who the fuck cares what OP wants when there's shitposting to do
Lagel

litejason wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I am not
Why do you assume I'm directing this at you? Everyone seems butthurt enough to post some nasty words to each other. I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
People jump to conclusions too much, you could be posting a legitimate answer/post and someone would be like "damn u gud troll plz tch" or "y u so mad kek cri 2 mum"
jasian

Philosofikal wrote:

litejason wrote:

I don't think OP wanted these kind of answers. :)
Hello? You're on G&R. Who the fuck cares what OP wants when there's shitposting to do
In that case this will be my last post on these forums. G'day all!
Lagel

litejason wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

In that case this will be my last post on these forums. G'day all!
Au revoir! I'll probs be soon to follow hue
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

By your logic I should be able to stream 800BPM if I bind M1 and M2 to the keyboard and use four fingers. Obviously this is not the case and not because of artificial technical limitations of binding M1 and M2 to keyboard. You've basically committed the fallacy of composition with your statement. Single tapping only makes you good at single tapping, though the reverse is not true for alternating.
and you just committed the fallacy fallacy. Just because a fallacy was made, it doesn't mean the claim is wrong (and yes I'm serious)

Alternating requires higher finger control but less finger speed since you're dividing the clicks in both fingers.

You alts, try singletapping to see if you can go as fast

litejason wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I am not
because people usually direct that shit at me. Wouldn't be the first
autoteleology
You use an entirely different technique to singletap at high speed than you use to alternate. Fast singletapping basically involves locking your finger and using your wrist to tap. You cannot apply that technique to using two fingers. Period.
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more
You shouldn't bother posting anymore, I already have everything you have to say in my signature. 8-)
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Alternating requires higher finger control but less finger speed since you're dividing the clicks in both fingers.

Less finger speed for single tapping, i.e. 0 speed for single tapping since we (full alternators) don't use it at all. That being said, streaming high bpm is the same whether you're a full alternator or not, since noone is going to be able to single tap at certain speeds or above. Single tapping creates a different kind of motion than you would get when you stream, since you use your wrist movement rather than your finger movements to hit the keys while keeping your fingers very stiff. Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
ZenithPhantasm

Philosofikal wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Play more
You shouldn't bother posting anymore, I already have everything you have to say in my signature. 8-)
Omg wot a forum casual. Go back to noscoping in CoD pls
autoteleology

pandaBee wrote:

420 bpm
420 blazes per minute
ZenithPhantasm

pandaBee wrote:

Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
/thread :)
bigfeh

Philosofikal wrote:

You use an entirely different technique to singletap at high speed than you use to alternate. Fast singletapping basically involves locking your finger and using your wrist to tap. You cannot apply that technique to using two fingers. Period.
Seen players use the wrist to alternate and I don't move my hand when I alternate on the keyboard, I just use the fingers

pandaBee wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Less finger speed for single tapping, i.e. 0 speed for single tapping since we (full alternators) don't use it at all. That being said, streaming high bpm is the same whether you're a full alternator or not, since noone is going to be able to single tap at certain speeds or above. Single tapping creates a different kind of motion than you would get when you stream, since you use your wrist rather than your fingers to hit the keys while keeping your fingers very stiff. Streaming requires a different technique altogether so in the same way that just because you jerk off at night with the speed of a motorboat it won't mean you can stream 420 bpm, you won't necessarily be a super fast streamer just because you can singletap.
autoteleology
That's 168 BPM who gives a shit

that being said apparently this guy can stream 340BPM if only he used two fingers omg!!1
trebby

bigfeh wrote:

So by your logic if I can pass this song with two fingers I'm better than this guy?
show more