forum

[web] Search v2 - An improved search function.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +69
show more
silmarilen
i dont know what happened to the search, but we lost more than half of the functionality, and half of what's left doesnt even work anymore.
i fully support anything that brings back some usability to it.
Oinari-sama
I miss the ability to group by topic =.=
abraker
Need this, but I think we won't get this until the new website comes out. That doesn't mean we can't show support though.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

Need this, but I think we won't get this until the new website comes out. That doesn't mean we can't show support though.
Exactly my thoughts. :)
Bara-
I wish it was 17 hours later
So I can throw a star ;-;
I hate the current search, hence why I stopped linking harder to find dupes in FR/TS
Mofu kun
half the time i don't find what i'm searching for using search
Seijiro
Speaking about "things you really need but you can't notice because you have them under your nose"

Fully support this~
Ryzon_old
I Suppose I Think It'll Save Some People Some Time, And Could Look Nice!

-Full Support! :P
troke
whoah nice featured,
support for this :D ~!!
abraker
I think an option to ignore/not show to show a keyword would be helpful too. Much like the "-" functionality in a Google search.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

I think an option to ignore/not show to show a keyword would be helpful too. Much like the "-" functionality in a Google search.
Basically a blacklist of sorts? For example, if you would search for "Search v2 search function" and have it set to ignore "improved", it would not show this thread?
abraker
Basically yes.

For example I was searching for "opengl mouse freeze" and got so many results relating to the cutting edge. It would have been much easier if I could have just blacklisted "cutting" and "edge" from my search.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

Basically yes.

For example I was searching for "opengl mouse freeze" and got so many results relating to the cutting edge. It would have been much easier if I could have just blacklisted "cutting" and "edge" from my search.
Pretty nice idea actually. I'll add it to the top post later.

Edit: Added.
- Auto -
I want to see this happen. Here, take 10 stars~
abraker
Let the blacklist textbox have a "+" next to it to like the "search in forum". Instead of adding stuff below it make it so that upon clicking on that textbox you will see a dropdown list of the blacklisted words with "-" next to them in case you want to remove after adding. I don't imagine one blacklisted word might do, and adding more with your design will cause it to have the same effect as the osu chat when you type too much.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

- Auto - wrote:

I want to see this happen. Here, take 10 stars~
Thanks! :D

abraker wrote:

Let the blacklist textbox have a "+" next to it to like the "search in forum". Instead of adding stuff below it make it so that upon clicking on that textbox you will see a dropdown list of the blacklisted words with "-" next to them in case you want to remove after adding. I don't imagine one blacklisted word might do, and adding more with your design will cause it to have the same effect as the osu chat when you type too much.
Can't you just type it after each other? This isn't sarcarsm, but I imagine each individual word being blacklisted, so I don't see why you'd need this. Or if that's not the issue but the size of the textbox is.... then all I can say is that I ran out of space when (re-)designing the image example. And I honestly couldn't be arsed doing it all over again. In which case I might redo the image (once again), but don't get your hopes up. lol
abraker

VeilStar wrote:

Or if that's not the issue but the size of the textbox is.... then all I can say is that I ran out of space when (re-)designing the image example. And I honestly couldn't be arsed doing it all over again. In which case I might redo the image (once again), but don't get your hopes up. lol
I'll let the suggestion fly in the air. Someone should catch it sooner or later.
Topic Starter
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

I'll let the suggestion fly in the air. Someone should catch it sooner or later.
I can't believe it took me this long to understand...

Anyhow, if the text box is indeed that small, then I guess this is a solution.

For now though I'll leave it as it is. I'm a lazy shit when it comes to these things.
Once again, I might redo the image, but it's doubtable.

I'll keep it in mind.
Karuta-_old_1
I don't even use it since I just use google, but why not
TheVileOne
Please anything but the current search engine. I need my topic searching back.
- Sugoi Sugoi -
This will really make life easier and a really cool image
Nyquill
Also, an option to sort by latest instead of by relevance would be nice. A lot of posts with the same amount of relevance can be kind of annoying to look through if you know a post was made recently.

edit: oh whoops literally last item on notes
Renevant
oo, i never knew you made a FR on it.

Nyquill wrote:

Also, an option to sort by latest instead of by relevance would be nice. A lot of posts with the same amount of relevance can be kind of annoying to look through if you know a post was made recently.

edit: oh whoops literally last item on notes
Emphasis on this.

More OT: Considering you made the post 3 months ago, I know we got the "search by relevance" feature, i hope this FR is still relevant since not everything (or barely anything related to the original post) was included. Ill add some stars later if this still stands.

Also, Im just gonna link this here, since my opinion on it is still the same.
abraker
While the current search method works for the help section, for other sections, ESPECIALLY feature request, is painful to use.
Topic Starter
VeilStar
About the relevance/date thing - It's indeed in the notes - keep in mind that it's just an example image to give people an idea of what it's about at a quick glance. There's so much stuff that can be added but it would just make a huge mess.If I remake the image once more I guess I'll have to use some sort of 'advanced' section to cram all this stuff into it.

Anyway, a generally improved search, preferrably with some more options is what we need. It doesn't have to be even remotely like the example image. (I know it's quite overboard.) Consider this thread a general seach improvement feature request.
Renevant

VeilStar wrote:

Consider this thread a general seach improvement feature request.
Alright, cool. It might be a good idea to add that to the the end of the "Why do we need this?" section or somewhere else in the OP.

Topic Starter
VeilStar

Renevant wrote:

It might be a good idea to add that to the the end of the "Why do we need this?" section or somewhere else in the OP.
Done.

It's nice to see this get some attention again.