forum

How necessary is a mech keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Ayase Eli]
Pretty much the title.

I'm still super noob at taiko but I really enjoy it and I want to play more, and I'm wondering when my crappy rubber dome laptop keyboard will stop being effective for taiko playing. I already have some trouble single-tapping fast stuff like this oni https://osu.ppy.sh/b/292818&m=1 and some if it is just practice I know but I wanted to ask any more experienced players what they thought about it.

At what point does a mechanical keyboard become a big performance booster?
Is it extremely necessary to get one in order to pass X rank or play X bpm?
capes-
Well, I've been using my cruddy laptop keyboard for over a year and I've managed to get some good scores with it. From what I remember, mechanical keyboards make the really fast songs easier (and 1/8 is near impossible to hit consistently with my laptop keyboard, but that's a convert thing). So, a mechanical keyboard isn't necessary to get really good at the game, but it helps a bunch of people.
Also, I mostly single-tap, and I tried the song you posted. It'd probably be easier with a mech, but it is 260 bpm, so it's gonna be tricky to single tap regardless.

also wzxxzw uses a laptop keyboard (for his more recent scores, anyways)
Raiden
Our top #1 in Spain (LZD) plays with his laptop keyboard and has managed to do incredibly retarded scores.
ikin5050
LZD is a boss
and i use macbook air built in keyboard and it's fine, unless you want to hit 1/8 laptop keyboard should be fast enough
Conor
DahplA
The main thing you will really notice with a mechanical keyboard is how consistent they are. With then, I don't ever remember a time where this happened
"Oh wow, I so clicked that note, damn keyboard"
It's however, not necessary to play. It is recommended strongly by the community.
MMzz
I used my laptop keyboard until late last year. Mech KB is nice, but I don't think it is completely necessary for the game.

However, mech keyboards are really nice just for the typing experience. I would recommend getting one just to have a nice keyboard.
TKS
i'm using laptop-type keyboard almost 5 years for stepmania and taiko, and which is quite cheap(almost 2000jpy). i have topre's realforce but it was nice just for typing as mmzz said.
Topic Starter
[Ayase Eli]
Cool, so the consensus seems to be more that having a mech keyboard is no sort of limitation whatsoever. Thanks for the input!