forum

[Archived] osu!mania randomly "jumping"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rohen04
Problem Details:
osu!mania is "jumping" back during playing occasionally (I will not go into details explaining the issue, the Video is the best showcase).

- I have tried to narrow the problem down to other programs running in the background, but there seems to be no relation (at one point I closed down everything I could and it still happened).
- It happens in single player and multi player. I haven't played much osu!standard but I haven't noticed something like this happening there.
- It really is very random. Some days it doesn't appear at all, other days it happens 5-6 times per song (latter is rare, but it happened).
- I asked quite a few people, only one person has experienced something like this.
- This problem has been persisting for months now.

I hope this wasn't asked already, if so I apologize.

Video showing the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJS4mMOsjgw
(Problem at 0:09, a little sound error at 0:03~0:04, maybe it has something to do with it)

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)

Thanks in advance!
Maiz94

wow, my map. lol
Vaporwave
This is not a bug. It is used to simulate jumps in a map, say when the BPM suddenly rises.
abraker

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

This is not a bug. It is used to simulate jumps in a map, say when the BPM suddenly rises.
Look at the vid carefully, it jumps back a bit. I remember someone saying (don't quote me on this) that is your offset is too high or too low, it will try to auto correct itself. What is your offset?
Destroy2777
I can confirm that this actually does happen - albeit very rarely. It happened to me at the near start of a song after about some 20 minutes of mania play, and with no real signal as to why. FPS was stable up onto the point, and the only other program running wasn't doing anything and didn't cause any disruption in FPS/gameplay at all.

I cannot, however, say what causes it at all. I even went back to play the same song again, only to have the jitter never occur, and to not have the jitter occur for the remainder of the game session.

I've also seen moments where the chart would suddenly freeze for a couple seconds, moving ahead without letting me input anything (often resulting in a death), but this might just be my computer and be irrelevant.

@[Wolfy]: That's an entirely different type of scenario, and it's not used here. If you check the Collab difficulty of the map (which I presume is the difficulty shown in the video, map set at https://osu.ppy.sh/s/96178), there's no point in that entire section where the music and chart are supposed to stagger as they did in the video. It's clearly something that happened with the game or computer itself.

@abraker: I have my doubts that offset is the problem - I experienced the stutter on a map with both global offset and local map offset both at 0.
Maiz94

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

At the part that it jumps, the BPM stays constant actually. lol
abraker
I'm assuming it has to do with the still unsolved lag spikes issue. Sometimes a similar thing happens when you try to watch a video when your computer is busy processing something. My guess is a spike in CPU usage or somewhere in the resources.
VeilStar

abraker wrote:

I remember someone saying (don't quote me on this) that is your offset is too high or too low, it will try to auto correct itself. What is your offset?
Well, yes and no. High offset can cause a similar thing at the start of a map. Not in the middle of it. This is because osu! is constantly making sure audio and video is perfectly in sync.

That being said, I assume these 'jumps' here have the same cause. Which would be things getting desycned and osu! actively resyncing them. Try re-installing your audio drivers and see if that helps at all.
Topic Starter
rohen04
First of all, thanks for the replies!

ishimaru94 wrote:

wow, my map. lol
Yes, indeed. Also hello, long time no see! =)

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

As others stated, that's not true.

abraker wrote:

What is your offset?
My offset is zero.

Destroy2777 wrote:

I can confirm that this actually does happen - albeit very rarely. It happened to me at the near start of a song after about some 20 minutes of mania play, and with no real signal as to why. FPS was stable up onto the point, and the only other program running wasn't doing anything and didn't cause any disruption in FPS/gameplay at all.

I cannot, however, say what causes it at all. I even went back to play the same song again, only to have the jitter never occur, and to not have the jitter occur for the remainder of the game session.

I've also seen moments where the chart would suddenly freeze for a couple seconds, moving ahead without letting me input anything (often resulting in a death), but this might just be my computer and be irrelevant.
Yes, exactly. It happens very randomly. The latter hasn't happened to me yet.

abraker wrote:

I'm assuming it has to do with the still unsolved lag spikes issue. Sometimes a similar thing happens when you try to watch a video when your computer is busy processing something. My guess is a spike in CPU usage or somewhere in the resources.
Maybe this has something to do with it, I will try that out, thank you!
If it helps, my CPU is Intel i5-4430. Maybe there are timing-related issues when having very high frame rates.
Also, another info: Sometimes I hear the same/a similar sound "jitter" during the song preview (rare).

VeilStar wrote:

That being said, I assume these 'jumps' here have the same cause. Which would be things getting desycned and osu! actively resyncing them. Try re-installing your audio drivers and see if that helps at all.
I will try that out, thanks!

I think this is quite critical, especially for those participating in the MWC later this year. It really throws you off for some time.