forum

New monitor. Asus vs Benq?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Infevo
Hey everyone,

hope I am not too selfish asking around here. Maybe there are some of you who made experience with the particular screens I am choosing from.

I though of buying a new screen which has to meet the following criteria:
-24"
-16:9
-input lag free
-1ms response time
-120-144hz

There are the two I have selected so far.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00ITORITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429122360&sr=8-1&keywords=BenQ+XL2411Z

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429122408&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE

Maybe you got an alternative which is cheaper. For example I don't need speakers, 3D and high res. It can be slightly smaller down to 21". It really needs to be lag free and at least 120hz.

edit: I won't spend more than the mentioned screen's price points.

thx in advance!
bigfeh
http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Sc ... B00MSOND8C

one of the best screens you can buy today. It's 27", but 3 inches shouldn't be TOO big of a difference unless space is a problem

I should also really really REALLY emphasize that lag-free doesn't exist. If you want something without any input lag at all, you'll die without finding anything

also go read reviews, they're the best way to separate the good from the shit
Topic Starter
Infevo

bigfeh wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C

one of the best screens you can buy today. It's 27", but 3 inches shouldn't be TOO big of a difference unless space is a problem

I should also really really REALLY emphasize that lag-free doesn't exist. If you want something without any input lag at all, you'll die without finding anything

Actually size is an issue in my case right now. Sometimes my current 24" monitor feels too large already. And that screen you suggest easily doubles the money I am ready to invest =D
ZenithPhantasm
CRT :^)
bigfeh

Infevo wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C

Actually size is an issue in my case right now. Sometimes my current 24" monitor feels too large already. And that screen you suggest easily doubles the money I am ready to invest =D
I get the size constraints but if you want top-grade equipment, you'll need to dish out big money. The amount of people what go "oh I want a very very very good [something] but I want to spend only [value with which you can barely buy anything]" is something incredibly annoying and dreadfully common. It's like going out to buy a Lamborghini with 500 bucks in your wallet
Topic Starter
Infevo

bigfeh wrote:

I get the size constraints but if you want top-grade equipment, you'll need to dish out big money. The amount of people what go "oh I want a very very very good [something] but I want to spend only [value with which you can barely buy anything]" is something incredibly annoying and dreadfully common. It's like going out to buy a Lamborghini with 500 bucks in your wallet
I dont need a lamborghini. Never said I would. At no point.
The screen you suggested not only simply costs more than double the price but it doesn't give me anything in addition I would need. It gives me a bunch of things I really don't see any point in. Like additional screen size, the bigger res (while I barely even use 1080p). I dont even need LED.

It simply has to meet the few criteria I listed. If money wasn't an issue I'd simply buy both, compared them and send one back.

You also can't assume anyone has the money to spend on hundreds of extra dollars for literally no subjective improvement.

And I didnt only read reviews and opinions on amazon in addition but I also wouild like to get some insight into the minds of osu! players since I play it a lot myself.

Why can't people just once not behave as if the op is not an incompetent half-wit....
And I even deliberately asked for _cheaper_ alternatives if somebody knew any. Why suggest a model with more than double the price?
bigfeh

Infevo wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I dont need a lamborghini. Never said I would. At no point.
The screen you suggested not only simply costs more than double the price but it doesn't give me anything in addition I would need. It gives me a bunch of things I really don't see any point in. Like additional screen size, the bigger res (while I barely even use 1080p). I dont even need LED.

It simply has to meet the few criteria I listed. If money wasn't an issue I'd simply buy both, compared them and send one back.

You also can't assume anyone has the money to spend on hundreds of extra dollars for literally no subjective improvement.

And I didnt only read reviews and opinions on amazon in addition but I also wouild like to get some insight into the minds of osu! players since I play it a lot myself.

Why can't people just once not behave as if the op is not an incompetent half-wit....
And I even deliberately asked for _cheaper_ alternatives if somebody knew any. Why suggest a model with more than double the price?
People can never behave as if op is not an incompetent half-wit because that is precisely what OP is most of the time.

I suggested a model with double the price because chances are that is what you'll have to pay for what you want. Here were your "few" listed criteria:

-24" (24")
-16:9 (16:9)
-also it needs to be a lamborghini okay guys? (1ms response time)
-oh yeah and I need it to be perfect, except it doesn't exist but I don't give a fuck (input lag free)
-120-144hz (120-144hz)

And the extra 400 bucks you'd pay for it? They're there for a reason. That might be the best screen money buys now, as I said, but I get it if you don't have anywhere to put it because it's too big. I'm not arguing with that.

You did say you needed a Lamborghini, and you specifically asked for something that does not, and will never, exist. Latency is a thing and it's physically impossible to have zero latency. Not even an ICMP request from and to your computer is instant - the response time is way under 1ms, but it's there. You might not need the additions the Swift offers, strictly speaking, but a screen with high refresh rate is expensive. And a good screen with a high refresh rate is even more expensive.

I should also note, while I'm at it, that the Swift is actually an exception, which is precisely the fuck why I recommended it. Catch this: screens with higher refresh rates tend to have significantly higher input lag. The Swift does not. And just so we're clear here: a response time of 1ms does not mean you'll see the image after 1ms. Google "pixel persistence" for more on that
Topic Starter
Infevo
the 2 screens i mentioned met my criteria. none of them are "lambos" within the monitor department but they very well do their job. ALL of the criteria are met. even 1ms response time. both of these screens have a combined input lag of <2ms which is considered "lag free". everyone paying attention to the market will know that literally lag free is not possible (yet). there is no need to tell me that.

more importantly, these 2 screens do their jobs for my particular set of requirements and purposes.

I made it clear. why do you have to make this a thing now? i just asked for an opinion on these 2 and maybe a comparative sight of view. in addition i only asked for deliberately cheaper models.

if you still don't get it then let's make one thing clear. i posted a topic. you answered off-topic. i ignore your posts from now on since they don't contribute anything to the topic.

end of discussion.
autoteleology
Get the BenQ. I have owned both monitors and it is better. I could go into detail as to why, but instead, just read this and assume I know what I'm talking about.

Basically, BenQ makes higher quality screens.

p/4054311
Topic Starter
Infevo

Philosofikal wrote:

Get the BenQ. I have owned both monitors and it is better. I could go into detail as to why, but instead, just read this and assume I know what I'm talking about.

Basically, BenQ makes higher quality screens.

p/4054311
thx. do you know if big market places like amazon still stell the firmware rev 1?
jasian
Serious reply here. I bought the Benq Xl2411Z a month ago and it's been a blast. Basically AR10.3 is much easier and AR10.5 is playable. You feel a lot more 'connected' to the game due to the refresh rate and you can see your cursor much more fluidly compared to 60Hz. I've found that my reading has improved somewhat from just this month of using the monitor. Okay, the colors are trash out of the box but with a few setting tweaks it looks just like any other TN panel. The benefits from 144Hz don't just apply to osu!. Racing and FPS games feel a lot more fluid and the advantage from 16.7ms to 6.9ms is going to worth it for any reaction game. It's hard to describe because it's not immediate that the effects are large but everything feels nice and connected.
bigfeh

Infevo wrote:

the 2 screens i mentioned met my criteria. none of them are "lambos" within the monitor department but they very well do their job. ALL of the criteria are met. even 1ms response time. both of these screens have a combined input lag of <2ms which is considered "lag free". everyone paying attention to the market will know that literally lag free is not possible (yet). there is no need to tell me that.

more importantly, these 2 screens do their jobs for my particular set of requirements and purposes.

I made it clear. why do you have to make this a thing now? i just asked for an opinion on these 2 and maybe a comparative sight of view. in addition i only asked for deliberately cheaper models.

if you still don't get it then let's make one thing clear. i posted a topic. you answered off-topic. i ignore your posts from now on since they don't contribute anything to the topic.

end of discussion.
I'm not even sure how that was off-topic, but still

Either way, I'll go ahead and say I'd buy the Asus instead. I personally like Asus, but the benchmarks on that screen are far beyond the competition

and I feel the need to note that the theoretical minimum input lag for a 120Hz screen is 6.9ms. The combined response time is 2ms, so I don't know where you got the <2ms value from
autoteleology
Either way, I'll go ahead and say I'd buy the Asus instead. I personally like Asus, but the benchmarks on that screen are far beyond the competition
The Asus is obsolete. It has more input lag, worse colors, and you have to hack it to Lightboost. You have to use ToastyX which is garbage. The BenQ has a far superior Lightboost mode, which you can also customize to your preferences with the BenQ Strobe Utility.

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... boost-faq/

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... vs50vs100/

(Lightboost is way, WAY more important than 120/144Hz. I'd rather play on 60Hz with Lightboost than 120Hz without.)
iWhorse
lightboost also causes input lag, it may help if playing taiko\ctb but definitely not necessary

own vg248qe, recommend

also +1 for crt if 1920x1080 doesn't matter
Noobsicle
any should be fine, be sure to play around with the settings as monitor colors are usually trash out of the box

lightboost isn't necessary

benq monitors do come with the convenience of black equalizer, which may be useful for fps games but you can probably find other means of tuning these types of settings on the asus
deletemyaccount

Infevo wrote:

Hey everyone,

hope I am not too selfish asking around here. Maybe there are some of you who made experience with the particular screens I am choosing from.

I though of buying a new screen which has to meet the following criteria:
-24"
-16:9
-input lag free
-1ms response time
-120-144hz

There are the two I have selected so far.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00ITORITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429122360&sr=8-1&keywords=BenQ+XL2411Z

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429122408&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE

Maybe you got an alternative which is cheaper. For example I don't need speakers, 3D and high res. It can be slightly smaller down to 21". It really needs to be lag free and at least 120hz.

edit: I won't spend more than the mentioned screen's price points.

thx in advance!
I've owned the BenQ XL2420Z (they are essentially the exact same monitor) and it's definitely been a great experience. Everyday use has just been smoother overall and is more enjoyable; would reccommend.

I can't personally say anything about the Asus VG248QE vs the BenQ, but from what reviews i've read, you'll be happy with either.
ZenithPhantasm
If you're in NA go for the ASUS. If you're in EU/Asia/OCE go for the BenQ
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

If you're in NA go for the ASUS. If you're in EU/Asia/OCE go for the BenQ
What does that have to do with anything? They are priced the same regardless of country.

Anyways, you should probably wait until a equivalently priced monitor with G-SYNC/FreeSync comes out with these features. Monitor-controlled refresh rates are going to be the next big thing in monitors, even if you have a high powered GPU.
ZenithPhantasm
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

derp
You're looking at the wrong monitors. We're talking about the 24 inch versions, baka. They're the same price.
ZenithPhantasm
Same shit
RaneFire
I own the Asus VG248QE.

From my experience, had I known beforehand, I would have bought a PWM-free/flicker-free monitor instead. I don't use the lightboost feature that often, and some games make it difficult to toggle between on/off for some reason with ToastyX.

I find myself sensitive to the strobing backlight, even at its normal frequency (864hz @ 144hz refresh rate). However, this is most likely due to the insane brightness levels, and lowering the brightness just pronounces the strobing more, since the monitor is still bright even at 50%.

120hz lightboost gives me eye-strain after a while and I can only play on it for 1-2 hours before needing to take a break.
Reading text (browsing) extensively on such a monitor has also become a pain.

To give an example of the eye-strain effect: Imagine silhouettes of horizontal "Venetian" blinds persisting across your field of vision (burn-in effect) for a few minutes after using the monitor. Much like staring at the sun, just a different pattern, and occurs at all brightness levels for me (maybe I'm just photo-sensitive). Granted I have been getting used to it, but I've owned it for 1 year now and still have the problem, although not as bad as when I first got it. It doesn't make using the monitor impossible, and the monitor functions well. It's just uncomfortable.

For this reason I recommend flicker-free.
Topic Starter
Infevo
thx to everybody for your help!

i am going with the benq. hopefully amazon sends me rev2...