forum

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Zekira
OH MY GAAAAAWD

Not only will I get the game tomorrow (without a PS3, lol), but I get it for only FORTY USD! Yes, 40 USD, as opposed to 60!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pokebis
I got it for free last week...
Onirik_old
Is this game worth it? I've been eagerly waiting for it as a Marvel and Viewtiful Joe / Okami fan, but the price is making me hesitate a lot. Does Jill has her Resident Evil 1 ouftit too, or is she just like in Resident Evil 5?
Pokebis

Onirik wrote:

Is this game worth it? I've been eagerly waiting for it as a Marvel and Viewtiful Joe / Okami fan, but the price is making me hesitate a lot. Does Jill has her Resident Evil 1 ouftit too, or is she just like in Resident Evil 5?
She has the new outfit.
Not sure if it's worth $60, but it is the most fun I've had with a fighter in quite a while. I'd pick it up if you're actually into fighting and try to find a $50 or lower if you'll play it casually.
Features seem kind of lacking. No survival, time attack, story, unit, ect. And only a few unlockables. It also takes like 15 minutes to unlock every character. Game seems really focused on Online mode, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet, but I've heard people are having trouble connecting right now.
Bestelle
Picked up my copy on the SE just now. Still too lazy to play it. Apparently the DLC characters aren't on disc, you get them by a code. Huh. They'll be out by March 15th anyway.
Onirik_old

Pokebis wrote:

I'd pick it up if you're actually into fighting and try to find a $50 or lower if you'll play it casually.
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm really considering buying it, although I've always found that 50€ was kind of expensive for a video game, but this one is only on consoles so there won't be any promo until months, I guess.
Pokebis

RL Link wrote:

Picked up my copy on the SE just now. Still too lazy to play it. Apparently the DLC characters aren't on disc, you get them by a code. Huh. They'll be out by March 15th anyway.
They are on the disc. You unlock them via code. >.>
Topic Starter
Zekira
They're not on disc; 100% of the people I know that have SE say that their unlock codes aren't working, and it says in the SE box that the code won't work until March 15.

Basically the code just allows you to download Gorath and Jill for free, I guess.

EDIT: Found source http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 7775335158

* The SE version of the game comes with downloadable characters, Jill and Shuma Gorath. You may redeem these characters on March 15, 2011. We did not intentionally delay the DLC characters as we know how badly our fans want to play them. This was an unfortunate technical issue and we apologize for them not being available today.
* For PS3 copies of the special edition, your PSN code is printed on the back of your art book. On March 15th, your PSN code will be available for activation. If you attempt to enter your code before March 15, 2011, PSN will tell you that it's an invalid code.
* For Xbox 360 copies of the special edition, we will send you your Xbox LIVE DLC code on March 15, 2011. To register your email with our system, please visit: marvelvscapcom3.com/redeemand follow the step by step instructions. The code on the back of your art book is NOT a Xbox LIVE code but rather, the code you input into our redeem site.
* Jill and Shuma-Gorath is the only DLC that comes with the special edition. Buying the special edition does not also make you eligible for other DLC.
* Jill and Shuma-Gorath will still be available for purchase on March 15, 2011 for the people who did not buy the Special Edition. Each character will cost $5 or 400 Microsoft points.
Bestelle

Pokebis wrote:

RL Link wrote:

They are on the disc. You unlock them via code. >.>
lol I primarily mentioned that to the people that pirated the game, Pokebis. Since the code is located on the back of the comic that comes with the game, so...
Pokebis
The data is still on the disc.
It's like when you DL the MvC2 demo you download the entire game. It has a flag that locks you out from the rest and all you do is download a key that tells it to unlock. That's why the "full game purchase" is like 3KB.
Bestelle
Not the point, but whatever man.
Topic Starter
Zekira
So technically no one has just been able to crack a way to unlock them now yet, it seems.

People will just probably wait for March 15 though
Pokebis

Zekira wrote:

So technically no one has just been able to crack a way to unlock them now yet, it seems.

People will just probably wait for March 15 though
They have on the 360. There aren't any clean ways of getting PSN stuffs yet or normal game hacks. except black ops, apparently.
Topic Starter
Zekira
OK so I'll now post my kinda exaggerated first post about me playing the game for 90 minutes this morning, copy-pasted from another forum which I posted it in:

And

I WAS PLAYING THE GAME THIS MORNING FOR AROUND 90 MINTUES

I was pretty noisy around the PS3 rentals babbling about terminologies unique to MvC, and complaining how I was having a hard time using the new control scheme and the REALLY ODD method of tagging out...

Anyway, the image on the CD is just Ryu and Iron Man. Couldn't take a picture of it right now since I'm in school.

So far, I am comfortable using MagnetoA - AmaterasuB. Magneto on point is still as fast as hell, but the lack of a reliable triangle jump (new game frame mechanics kinda orz'd that technique) is kinda hindering my attempts at effective rushdown. However, AmaterasuB's Cold Star assist is so awesome for holding down the opponent in place, making for an effective mix up provided that she doesn't get hit when she spits out the first bead. Since Cold Star pretty much keeps the opponent grounded if it hits, you can follow up an easy combo of Low-Low-Mid-High-Launch, which is the big main difference with Magneto as he now can execute more than 2 normals on the ground.

Catching opponents for a TAC (Team Aerial Combo) is really fun provided that you actually hit the TAC hit. TAC's somehow build meter like LOLFAST, and if I end the TAC with Magneto's flying screen, I can OTG with Gravity Squeeze for LOLDAMAGE with minimal effort! I am having trouble OTGing for the other characters though, since only specific moves OTG.

How about trying Amaterasu on point? Well, here's my say on it: if you don't have enough time to practice Amaterasu, don't even bother using her on point just yet; it takes quite an amount of memory to realize the potentials of each weapon. She's not an easy character to use, and I've been trying to do an OTG+Thunder Edge+Divine Instruments combo for like, FOREVER and it's still not going well! But I think that my main problem would probably be the fact that Ammy's OTG for the glaives is actually a DownForward+Heavy Normal Attack, which I'm kinda not used in doing. However, it perfectly OTGs out of a flying screen after executing the aerial combo, which somehow can be followed up with a Thunder Edge. I've been only successful so far as linking the DFStab, but I'm having trouble linking it with a Thunder Edge, not to mention I'm aspiring to hit with Divine Instruments after, and possibly DHC into Magnetic Tempest.

I also unlocked all the 4 locked characters with 3 plays, so I gave out Magneto-Storm-Sentinel a try. My reaction? lolsentinel. His stats are so high and his moves are pretty easy to execute, even new guys will have no problem competing when using Sentinel; just as long as you can properly connect your Rocket Punches, Sentinel Forces, and Hyper Sentinel Forces properly, you'll be dealing insane amounts of damage in such a short time.

I'm looking at trying out Dante when I get more time, because undoubtedly the difficulty in using him is probably the HIGHEST among all the characters; what, with 30+ Special moves and all, it'd take an immense amount of studying to pull this off.

MvC2 Storm users will be pretty frustrated at the new implementation of height in this game; the hitwindow for an aerial Low-Low-Mid is so strict, it's not even funny and my combo suddenly shortens to Low-Mid-High-FlyingScreen, and I can't even make Low-Mid-High-Lightning Attack-Lightning Storm connect properly. I was getting frustrated at it. Whirlwind-Hailstorm also doesn't combo anymore as casting Hailstorm removes the Whirlwind off the field. Storm, however, has a substitute for Triangle Jumping called the Reverse Jump, which so far I only see Storm being able to do; it requires abusing her float in order to quickly 'jump' downward, so an input of Up-Up+Heavy will actually act similar to a Triangle Jump+Heavy Kick, then the hitstun will allow you to do a normal ground combo. Rushdown powers complete? :D Oh, and L3 X-Factor + Hailstorm = lolchip damage. It's even scarier if it actually hits.

Speaking of big damage, let's talk about Sentinel again. He has one of the fastest wave dashes which makes me lol, and THANK GOD his flying speed and potency was reduced majorly. Due to his slow speed, I'm having some sort of trouble even completing his basic combo of L-M-H-Launch-*some air combo*-FlyingScreen-Rocket Punch (L, OTG)-Hyper Sentinel Force-Relaunch. But when I learn it though, I'll try maining him for a while that I'm trying to practice other characters.

Felicia. I am becoming pretty frustrated at the confusing combo system here; shoryuken.com says that she can link a full Low-Low-Mid-Mid-High launch, which apparently I'm having trouble with; I just reduce it to low-Mid-Mid-High-Launch. AND THE FACT THAT PLEASE HELP ME IS NOW A CLOSE RANGE ATTACK MAKES ME RAGE FOR sh*t. I'm also not sure if it still OTGs, but a Rolling Buckler H-H in theory should combo of of it... haven't actually tried though. However, if anything to love on Felicia, it's Kitty's Little Helper. Use a catastrophic assist such as Ammy B or Doom-Y, use a Light attack to make the helper jump and attack high, then cancel your light attack with a Crawl in hopes for a cross up AND an unblockable! Felicia is the only character that can set up an unblockable on her own, and I think THAT's the main reason many would want to use her competitively.

Fighting Galatcus: THAT f*ckING DAMAGE. You need to keep the most composurewhen fighting Galactus because one mistake could literally take out one of your guys immediately, especially when Galactus is at critical life. You have to establish what the specialty of your fighter is and stay in the appropriate range; if you're using a combofiend like Magneto, you'd best want to stay in front of his face most of the time, and be ready to block. If using a keep away like Chris, just keep shooting from the other side of the screen, jumping and blocking like required. Magneto, Akuma, and Sentinel in particular are pretty fun to use against Galactus for Magnetic Tempest, (Air)Shinkuu Messatsu Gohadou, and Hyper Sentinel Force respecitvely will almost ALWAYS hit all the time. Using Sentinel with X-Factor Level 3 and hitting Galactus with even just 1 Hyper Sentinel Force does some LOLDAMAGE as the 9 rockets will almost always hit.

I'll be sticking to MagnetoA-AmmyB for now, and will probably switch my 3rd char depending on who I see best; right now I'm actually using Magneto-Ammy-Sentinel for the sheer comfort that I'm having with them. Looking forward to using Felicia-Ammy-Doom sometime though, or Iron Man-Doom-Magneto. Maybe do something with Storm. Then my ultimate goal is to master Dante.

CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AGAIN AAAAAAAA

It was also kinda fun since a lot of MvC2 pros were watching me. Well, I was the guy that brought the MvC3 disc over to the rentals, and because of that they actually gave me 3 free hours which I plan to use on Friday ahahahaha! And when I finally used Magf*ckineto-Storm-Knicks, we were all like "IS MAHVEL BAYBEE" all over the place as the team still functions pretty well, though the potency of Sentinel's Rocket Punch assist is kinda orz compared to its potency in MvC2. Still, I specifically picked the colors to be Mag-f*ckin-neto and Mango Sentinel just for even more lulz. I was also frequently Making It Rain. You can pretty much imagine how noisy the place was; and I was kinda both proud and nervous by the fact that I was the one on the controller. The guys probably already have my Gravity Squeeze combos memorized already though... it won't be long before they master Magneto, I guess...

HOLY HELL CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AGAIn
Rikers

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

I played it for a few minutes with my friends.

Deadpool is my favourite character in this game.
"YO MAMA"
lol yeah he's pretty funny
Pokebis

Have some real nice matches here to let you see what all the pros are up too. Video is nearly an hour and a half, but it has some really killer matches.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Yeah I watched that too. If anything, the most important thing I learned there is to have an OTG Assist

And ClakeyD's Tron.
Pokebis
I liked how Floe practically never used assists and Clakey's Tronne didn't even use her drill special.
Topic Starter
Zekira
That was probably Floe's downfall though.
Behon
I'm thinking about renting this sometime, but I've fallen out of fighting games that aren't Smash Bros. in recent years because I'm lousy at memorizing dozens of different button combinations for so many different characters. Is there an okay learning curve to this, or some way to add handicaps?
eee

Behonkiss wrote:

I'm thinking about renting this sometime, but I've fallen out of fighting games that aren't Smash Bros. in recent years because I'm lousy at memorizing dozens of different button combinations for so many different characters. Is there an okay learning curve to this, or some way to add handicaps?
Well, there's a new Simple Mode, which separates three buttons where 1 button attacks/strings combos, another does special moves, and another does super moves.

Aside from the Simple Mode, the Normal mode is much more simpler than, say, Street Fighter IV, Tekken, or MvC2, since attacks are now only 4 buttons. Basically, the Simple Mode allows you to perform specials and supers without having to input an arrow command
Pokebis
I actually found it much harder to play with simple mode. Perhaps because I'm used to playing fighters, though.
There are handicaps available for vs. mode and they can make huge damage differences for already-huge-damage.
It's also really easy to pick up and play (easiest fighter learning curve I've seen so far) and most characters specials take the same inputs as the other characters.
I'd definitely pick it up, it's so much fun.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Yeah, I'm spending too much money going at the PS3 rentals just to play this game, actually.

Currently maining AmaterasuB-TronY-SentinelY

Also:

Sentinel wrote:

Wolverine DNA found in female mutant. DOES NOT COMPUTE. DOES NOT COMPUTE. DOES NOT COMPUTE.
Win.
Fraeon
This game is broken as hell.

Not this but infinites that are easy as hell to pull off.

I mean, I know this is Marvel but what the hell Capcom? Was this brokenness intentional?
Topic Starter
Zekira
At least everyone's broken, right? Except Sentinel so far, who's way beyond that

It's still shitons fun.
Fraeon
If it's broken enough to kill the tournament scene for it, it'd be a real shame, though.

MvC2 didn't die but glitches weren't found at this pace either.
DeathxShinigami
Oh shi- Fraeon's in the osu! forum again..
Topic Starter
Zekira
I actually don't see any infinites here except Akuma's lately; just 100% combos.
Pokebis
If anyone's been paying attention to the recent big tournies nobodies really pulled an infinite/glitch in a big match at all and we're seeing a lot less of Sentinel than you'd think. He's still a giant player and still probably the best character, but people are really learning how to punish him hard.
I've been really impressed with some Pheonix players recently especially in the Winter Brawl.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Clockw0rk's Phoenix is a start to look at.

I don't see Sentinel often either in the actual big matches. However, I'm surprised that he isn't been made into assist fodder yet; his Alpha and Gamma assists are still insanely valuable.
Pokebis

Zekira wrote:

I don't see Sentinel often either in the actual big matches. However, I'm surprised that he isn't been made into assist fodder yet; his Alpha and Gamma assists are still insanely valuable.
Nobody has really been using him as point. He has basically been used as assist fodder, except people always get down to him and end up making comebacks because he's so good.

Basically Sentinel is so good even if you try to make him assist fodder he still isn't.
RemmyX25
I suck at this game :(

Mostly using Zero but I'm trying to be flexible with the rest of the team to get to use them better. I'm also keen on using Viewtiful Joe (inb4 my choices suck because I refuse to use certain characters because everyone else uses them because they're better.)
Topic Starter
Zekira
The tiering here doesn't seem exactly too far apart yet. As usual, team synergy is too important here, so always take into consideration that if you want to revolve your team around 1 point character, just make sure both of your other teammates fill the most appropriate assist that 1.) suits your style 2.) actually works
RemmyX25
Yay beat it for the first time, I don't completely suck! (Team: Zero, Deadpool, Chun-Li)

You know I think I'm keeping Deadpool around more just for the comedic value.
Topic Starter
Zekira
And if you develop your ninja reflexes, you can pretty much literally troll other people, mastering the timing of his Fourth Wall Crisis super.

I haven't actually tried Deadpool's other assists aside from B, but his Y assist seems to be runaway friendly.
Crimmi

Pokebis wrote:

Zekira wrote:

Nobody has really been using him as point. He has basically been used as assist fodder, except people always get down to him and end up making comebacks because he's so good.

Basically Sentinel is so good even if you try to make him assist fodder he still isn't.
Sentinel is really a lifesaver, despite being punished by faster opponents :(
Topic Starter
Zekira
Arthur Hyper Viper Bracelet?! TEN MORE YEARS

Pokebis
This was a couple of weeks ago.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Adding more to the greatest moments in MvC3 list

Man, if I was part of the audience, I would've screamed along with the BIONIC AAAAAAAAAAAARM crowd... I just couldn't imagine how epic this would have been if I saw it live...

EDIT: Oh, March 22 patch nerfed Sentinel's life to 910000? Really? :D
Hakeru
lol , finally mvc3 thread <_<

k ..1st post ..
this my favorite unit

Speed Unit ( i think )
- Zero
- Wolverine
- Dante / ( sometimes i use Deadpool )

soon , i'll post my video gameplay :)

old unit ( 2 weeks ago )

Team B sucks LOL