forum

"Perfect" ★ award on top of small ranking icon

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +354
Topic Starter
Redon
What it is

My suggestion is to add a small icon layered on top of the ranking letter in the song selection that indicates scores with a "Perfect" award.
An example will follow.

When I'm talking about a "Perfect" award, I'm talking about scores that earn you this thing:

In standard, it's awarded for getting an FC without taildrops, in osu!mania it's awarded for getting an FC with MAX/300/200 values only. In Catch the Beat, it awards plays with no misses, and in Taiko, you get it for... something.

Why it's useful

The game distinguishes "Perfect" runs using this award, but unfortunately there is no way of seeing whether a score got it without looking at the results screen. It only gets hinted at by the total combo in standard, and it's not always very clear. For example, you can't easily tell if this is a "Perfect" score until you open it.

In osu!mania and Catch the Beat, it's needed even more because S ranks are awarded only for accuracy and say nothing about misses and FCs.

The "Perfect" award is a nice goal to aim for, so it would be useful to show this award in the top 50 and song selection where you could immediately recognize it.

How it's done

The "Perfect" award is mostly independent from rank, whether it's SS, S or maybe a B. Therefore, this could be best achieved by introducing a new skinnable icon that's put on top of the small ranking icon on all "Perfect" runs.

The skinning element could look something like this:

Of course, this is just a sketch to give you an idea, the little star could be anything you want.

Needless to say, it would give skinners the opportunity to come up with prettier alternatives, or creative ways to merge ranking letter and "Perfect" award into one.

(Edited to clean up the structure of the thread and provide a better overview)
-Maus-
Oooo

/me likes the idea
abraker
Integrate this into the rank achieved grouping and my collections are going to be one step cleaner.

Here are the my kodosus: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
I should consider getting supporter T_T
Bara-
I don't see a need in it for Std, as it means FC already
I don't know for Taiko/CtB as I never look at when the perfect appears or not
I do think it's nice for mania, so you see who has the best overall accuracy (as you van only have 200/300/300G in it)
otoed1

baraatje123 wrote:

I don't know for Taiko/CtB as I never look at when the perfect appears or not
I do think it's nice for mania, so you see who has the best overall accuracy (as you van only have 200/300/300G in it)
An FC does not always result in a perfect, as you can miss slider ticks. So whilst you played the map and received a S you did not perfect. The goal of this is to differentiate between the two, I believe (don't quote me) that the same thing is possible in mania, ctb, and taiko.
-Maus-

otoed1 wrote:

the same thing is possible in mania
It's not.
abraker

Transformau5 wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

It's not.
Last time I checked, you can hit a long note in mania half second late on certain maps and it still counts, granted the 50.
-Maus-

abraker wrote:

Last time I checked, you can hit a long note in mania half second late on certain maps and it still counts, granted the 50.
Getting a 50 denies the "perfect play" status.
abraker

Transformau5 wrote:

abraker wrote:

DOH! :x That's right...
Topic Starter
Redon

Baraatje123 wrote:

S does not mean FC in standard. You can lose combo points on taildrops, or sliderbreak in the middle of a song and still get an S.
"Perfect" means FC without taildrops. That's what the star would stand for.

Transformau5 wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

It's not.

abraker wrote:

Transformau5 wrote:

What does that have to do with it? The point is it's very possible to get an S rank in mania without receiving a "Perfect" award. Indeed it's more common there than in any other mode because the only requirement for an S rank is an accuracy of 95% or above. You can get an S rank with misses, but not a "Perfect".

To summarize how this works in the four game modes as far as I know:

Standard: S rank is awarded for scores with no misses and something something accuracy and 50s. The Perfect award distinguishes scores with all combo points, e.g. no taildrops and sliderbreaks.

Taiko: S rank is awarded for scores with no misses and less than 10% GOODs. The Perfect award is given for ...???? I suspect it has something to do with big notes, though their behaviour is really a mystery to me.

Catch the Beat: S rank is awarded for an accuracy above 98%. The Perfect award distinguishes scores with no misses.

osu!mania: S rank is awarded for an accuracy above 95%. The Perfect award distinguishes scores with no misses, 50s or 100s.
D e s
Gold S for Perfect

Bronze S for non-perfect
abraker

D e s wrote:

Gold S for Perfect
Bronze S for non-perfect
Then HD/FL would be silver? Doesn't sound entirely right to me.
D e s

abraker wrote:

Half gold half silver :D
Rilene
peppy please
abraker

D e s wrote:

abraker wrote:

Half gold half silver :D
This is not a real solution.
Bence
SS is already Perfect so its redundant to put a star on that. I support the idea tho.
OzzyOzrock
Taiko is a weird mode for this since perfect is just not missing notes. However the star could be awarded to successfully obtaining all the bonus points from big notes, sliders, and spinners. The problem is that osu! has a lot of trouble figuring these things out. If it's successfully calculated however, that'd be great.
Bara-
Perfect sliders?? O.o
Are people even able to do them all?
That'd be ridiculous actually
Trayle
I really like this idea. It would give us a nice way to distinguish between a slider break in the middle S and an actual FC.
Vesrand
I have better idea. Just add "max combo: XXX" to song info. It can replace useless "Objects: XXX"
Ecchi
I want this.
Remyria
why not (I give you one star cause it looks cool)
Ayachi Meme
we need this so bad, i remember when rrtyui 'fced' image material, i was hyping so much and watched the replay. to my disappointment, there was a sliderbreak.

in other words this is a great idea
Darth_Mula
Not bad idea
Topic Starter
Redon
Bump, this seems simple to add and would help a great deal.

Also cleaned up the OP a bit.
JakeMood
i actually made a request like that one but overlooked this one before posting... and i still have 4 votes... you deserve them!
JakeMood

Bence wrote:

SS is already Perfect so its redundant to put a star on that. I support the idea tho.
you can also get a perfect with just an S by also getting 100's and 50's
Eismis
This would make my life slightly more awesome if I didn't have to check each of my score if I had FC or not. This would make it visible just by scrolling over the songs ;-;
Outline
>getting an FC without an S
Are you crazy?! Are you outta your moind??? Restart if you're in that boat.
Korrui
good idea, would be nice to see who has perfect scores