forum

HR seems impossible

posted
Total Posts
show more
GoldenWolf

Philosofikal wrote:

OD8 triples are hard when you're rank #75,000 mouse only.
It's OD7 though
Barusamikosu
OD6 triples are the best because I can spam the keys and still get 300s. :D
E m i

Philosofikal wrote:

I SS'ed it
me too
Barusamikosu
Momiji that UR.
autoteleology

Philosofikal wrote:

You need to have dedication if you want to get better. All of those songs in my most played beatmaps, I have excellent scores on relative to my rank. At high levels, if you want to improve at specialty skills, you had better learn to grind.

otoed1 wrote:

I've reached rank 15k and the most iv'e grinded on a song was my top play I got yesterday. I only played that map like 15 times. I'm confused where your logic is, frankly I think spamming encourages poor habits. Moreover, it gets kinda boring and frustrating. Once your on tilit its impossible to play with any sentiment of accuracy.
spamming =/= grinding
your rank is not special
you have no ss ranks good job br0o0o0o0

SnowflakeStreet wrote:

idk about that; most of my top plays are plays that I randomly got without retrying once
your rank is also bad for your time played
neither of you understood what I was saying anyway, you're not gonna "learn" HR or SS The Big Black on a whim, it takes focused practice.
quick someone post a jab about call of duty so we can lock the thread already lol
Yuudachi-kun
My rank is also bad for time played, but I can Ss easies!
B1rd
what an obnoxious twat
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

what an obnoxious twat

I'M SORRY OK. :(
Lagel

Philosofikal wrote:

SnowflakeStreet wrote:

idk about that; most of my top plays are plays that I randomly got without retrying once
neither of you understood what I was saying anyway, you're not gonna "learn" HR or SS The Big Black on a whim, it takes focused practice.
quick someone post a jab about call of duty so we can lock the thread already lol
I could say you're bad for your time played, not everyone plays everyday
ZenithPhantasm

Philosofikal wrote:

Learn to sc0p3 plz
Noobsicle
god this is hilarious

OP, listen to the self-proclaimed casual, clearly he knows how to learn to read HR: all you have to do is spam retries!!

also make sure you hunt for SS ranks on 50 second maps so you can boast about it!
autoteleology

Noobsicle wrote:

god this is hilarious

OP, listen to the self-proclaimed casual, clearly he knows how to learn to read HR: all you have to do is spam retries!!

also make sure you hunt for SS ranks on 50 second maps so you can boast about it!
implying grinding means retrying instead of playing the whole song through so you can get consistent
spamming retries is a great way to deteriorate and get bored
you are claiming i'm saying the exact opposite of what I meant
I forgot I have to precisely define everything for the beanie baby retards

additionally ignore the fact that I was only showing that focused practice creates improvement, instead twist my words around so I look like I'm bragging about skill I don't claim to have

good job bro0o0o0 2/10 I hope they scrap this subforum in the redesign and replace it with a sticky that reads play more
buny

Philosofikal wrote:

Noobsicle wrote:

god this is hilarious

implying grinding means retrying instead of playing the whole song through so you can get consistent
spamming retries is a great way to deteriorate and get bored
you are claiming i'm saying the exact opposite of what I meant
I forgot I have to precisely define everything for the beanie baby retards

additionally ignore the fact that I was only showing that focused practice creates improvement, instead twist my words around so I look like I'm bragging about skill I don't claim to have

good job bro0o0o0 2/10 I hope they scrap this subforum in the redesign and replace it with a sticky that reads play more
How many times do you need to make yourself look like a total idiot?

This isn't the first time where your advice has been refuted and it isn't the first time where you're trying so hard to defend what little credibility you have either. And it isn't the first time you've been called out upon either

Surely you have enough self-awareness to figure out that you are wrong, right? Everybody is trying to help you realise that. Here, let me offer some help too

YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT

@OP,
from someone who has HR on nearly 99% of the time, just play more. You don't actually need to play HR to learn how to play it, the only key aspects to HR are the smaller circles (not really), increased OD and the faster AR, which can indirectly be improved by playing ar 9+ maps.
I never thought I was any good at HR back at your rank, but it was manageable as I kept playing and improving by playing hard maps and DT. Same case with AR11, I never thought I could read it and then I put it on and it turned out a lot easier than the first time I played it.

basically, don't try to force yourself to learn how to play HR, it comes naturally.
ZenithPhantasm

buny wrote:

YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT
/thread 8-)
autoteleology

buny wrote:

from someone who has HR on nearly 99% of the time, just play more. You don't actually need to play HR to learn how to play it, the only key aspects to HR are the smaller circles (not really), increased OD and the faster AR, which can indirectly be improved by playing ar 9+ maps.
I never thought I was any good at HR back at your rank, but it was manageable as I kept playing and improving by playing hard maps and DT. Same case with AR11, I never thought I could read it and then I put it on and it turned out a lot easier than the first time I played it.

basically, don't try to force yourself to learn how to play HR, it comes naturally.
Wow, gee, nice advice, non-fucking-idiot. It's almost like I already posted a better version of it three days ago in a different thread.

If "play a song all the way through so you get consistent at it" is bad advice, well, fuck me then, I guess! The whole reason it took me so long and so many tries to SS In My Room is because I DIDN'T follow this advice and tried to spam it on PF, and the frustration from that is the reason I now play this way. You're trying to use the genesis of my argument as a counter argument to it which is ridiculous.

Here's a refutation to your refutation:

LEARN TO READ, STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS
Dumii
how to improve HR 101:
Step 1. Open osu!
Step 2. Go to Song Select.
Step 3. ar>7 search.
Step 4. Press 'F1'.
Step 5. Press 'a'.
Step 6. Press '2'.
Step 7. Complete a map slightly easier than you would usually play.
Step 8. Repeat and gradually increase difficulty
Step 9. ???????????
Step 10. Realise that you're starting to fc maps.
Step 11. Facepalm when people ask you how to improve at HR.

To answer the question at hand though, probably need to improve consistency.
Just play more maps that you wouldn't usually play. If you're finding 4.5 stars difficult, play more 4.5 star maps. Tackle the patterns you find that are difficult, play them until they aren't difficult anymore and move on to new ones. Retrying won't really help you improve, gonna put this here.

Also gonna note that you probably don't have to play HR to learn it, but you'll probably need to play HR to get used to the od10.
Lagel

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

buny wrote:

YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT
/thread 8-)
Lmao you're having fun Philosofikal :D
Noobsicle
did you honestly believe making a comparison to another player's most played beatmaps clearly implied the idea of:
1. playing throughout the whole map to improve consistency
2. "focused practice"

let's see if we can match those 2 ideas with your first post

Philosofikal wrote:

You need to have dedication if you want to get better.
nope

Philosofikal wrote:

All of those songs in my most played beatmaps, I have excellent scores on relative to my rank.
nope, also why is this relevant to learning hr in any way?

Philosofikal wrote:

At high levels, if you want to improve at specialty skills, you had better learn to grind.
nopewow nvm this OBVIOUSLY shares the same idea of "playing throughout the whole map to improve consistency"

maybe if you had some clue you would've included those ideas in your first post instead of going around being a grandiose prick

look at yourself lmao

Philosofikal wrote:

I have excellent scores on relative to my rank.

Philosofikal wrote:

your rank is not special

Lagel

Noobsicle wrote:

look at yourself lmao

Philosofikal wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

your rank is not special

Bruh 3 star SSes are the way to go
buny

Philosofikal wrote:

buny wrote:

Wow, gee, nice advice, non-fucking-idiot. It's almost like I already posted a better version of it three days ago in a different thread.

If "play a song all the way through so you get consistent at it" is bad advice, well, fuck me then, I guess! The whole reason it took me so long and so many tries to SS In My Room is because I DIDN'T follow this advice and tried to spam it on PF, and the frustration from that is the reason I now play this way. You're trying to use the genesis of my argument as a counter argument to it which is ridiculous.

Here's a refutation to your refutation:

LEARN TO READ, STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS
How fucking dense are you?

Philosofikal wrote:

You play HR on maps that have circles that are too big, approach rate that is too slow, and an overall difficulty that is too easy. Playing a mod isn't going to make you better, it's a tool to bring maps that are too easy up to your skill level for additional entertainment shelf life, an opportunity at additional peppy points and better leaderboard standing.

You'll know when you're ready for it because you'll be thinking to yourself, "this shit is too easy".
how the fuck does that have anything to do with what I said? Yours is posted in condescending manner (you didn't even offer advice, just said that "HR isn't going to make you better") and by the looks of it, tied to HR on easier maps

You're either the worlds most thickest person, or the greatest troll ever

Both are not positive accomplishments

Why the fuck are you even giving (terrible) advice for HR when you're some trashy 5 digit player, anyway?
cheezstik

Philosofikal wrote:

Are we looking at the same top scores?

Cos all I see there is a bunch of <1min maps and a pony map + DT. Even I can admit I was a farmer at that pp, but my top ranks at the time consisted of nomod scores which are much harder to do than these days farm maps.

Philosofikal wrote:

your rank is not special
Oh, I didn't know you had to SS to be good. Guess you learn something new everyday, thanks, 2kpp player.

Philosofikal wrote:

I hit a 4 digit rank (2700pp at the time) after around 6 months of playing, and didn't abuse any <1 minute maps doing so, and I would consider my progress slow. Where's your 2700pp, god of rank progression?

Maybe this will turn your cockiness down a notch, and make you realize that you are absolutely shit at this game, in fact, all of us here are absolutely shit at the game (except maybe buny, huehue). Get off your high horse, and stop posting absolute bullshit without backup or credibility. It's not really helping, at all, unless your goal is to give people a laugh / cringe / facepalm / whatever else negative reaction you can think of.
GoldenWolf
Everyone besides the #1 is trash at the game ggwp

I think it's time to lock this thread
Vuelo Eluko
so i passed HEY FUCKER [EXTRA]
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

so i passed HEY FUCKER [EXTRA]
dude nice
autoteleology

Noobsicle wrote:

did you honestly believe making a comparison to another player's most played beatmaps clearly implied the idea of:
2. "focused practice"
Um, yes? He literally stated he won't replay a map more than a couple of times, but that's exactly the opposite what you need to be doing in this situation. It's also an interesting coincidence that his most played map is also his top play.

I'm not to the point where I can read AR10 anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that since the lead time for AR10 brushes up against the length of the average human reaction time, it doesn't become "easy" to read, ever. You have to learn the map, and you do that by playing it all the way through multiple times, and learning what you need to do in advance. The more you have to think about what you're doing, the slower you'll be, and you need to be as fast as possible to read AR10+.

I can prove it to you by showing that Can't Defeat Airman is a song you learn to play by doing precisely this. The only way you can learn to play it well is by playing it so many times you know the entire song in your muscle memory.

What a shocker. That's just the people that have posted in this thread, by the way. I'd respond to the rest of your post but honestly I don't really care enough. Too much typing.

buny wrote:

how the fuck does that have anything to do with what I said? Yours is posted in condescending manner (you didn't even offer advice, just said that "HR isn't going to make you better") and by the looks of it, tied to HR on easier maps
It's pretty much exactly what you said (you'll start playing it when you can handle it) except written concisely. I don't see how you think that was written even remotely condescendingly, I think you're just mad, and projecting your emotions onto what I typed in an entirely different discussion.

The topic of the thread was "When do I start playing HR?" and my advice was "you'll know when you're ready, there is no specific time". Pretty cut and dry.

Illkryn wrote:

garbage
You completely misinterpreted what I said. You are not even close. Go back and re read until you figure out where you fucked up.

No wonder everyone thinks I'm acting like I'm hot shit at this game when I'm not. All I really did was study a lot of top-tier play to figure out how they did it and what I need to be doing, and now I'm trying to put in the hours to get good at it. I don't claim to know everything or possess the physical skills to fully utilize what I know, and I learn new things every day, but I still think I have a really good idea of how things work.
Barusamikosu
Wow, those Airman playcounts. :o
cheezstik

Philosofikal wrote:

Noobsicle wrote:

2. "focused practice"
I'm not quite there yet, but I'm pretty sure that since the lead time for AR10 brushes up against the length of the average human reaction time, it doesn't become "easy" to read at any point. You have to learn the map by playing it all the way through multiple times. How do you think people train to play Can't Defeat Airman...
There you go again, a topic you clearly don't know about... Ever heard of people first trying AR10 or even AR10.3+ maps? Even I've first attempt fced AR10.87 maps before, it's really not that hard. You do not have to "learn" a map at AR10+, many people can sightread that AR, and many people would even say they find AR10 easy and natural (many of which should be telling the truth, unlike your average rank 50k big black spammer on the forums).

Philosofikal wrote:

Illkryn wrote:

garbage
You completely misinterpreted what I said. You are not even close. Go back and re read until you figure out where you fucked up.
I don't care if what you said was not serious or had a message behind it or whatever, I'm talking about all your posts in general. 9/10 times, you're talking in a condescending and cocky manner, and acting like you know all the secrets and how to be successful at this game. You dont. Stop.

Philosofikal wrote:

No wonder everyone thinks I'm acting like I'm hot shit at this game when I'm not. All I really did was study a lot of top-tier play to figure out how they did it and what I need to be doing, and now I'm trying to put in the hours to get good at it. I don't claim to know everything or possess the physical skills to fully utilize what I know, and I learn new things every day, but I still think I have a really good idea of how things work.
Yeah, there you go, you think. Let me, and everyone else that has already told you, remind me, that you don't have a good idea of how things work. Stop passing off your advice as absolute and fact, when it is just your skewed opinion / experience. You could, at the very least, add, "this helped me" or "in my experience", and while your at it, you could drop the arrogance, you have nothing to be proud of.

But noooooo, you're right and everyone else is wrong, as usual, right?
autoteleology

Illkryn wrote:

x
what the fuck ever lol I'm done
Vuelo Eluko
10.3 is a different matter entirely, you're ready for it when you have the speed for it, not when you've played enough high ar to react to it properly. 10.3 maps are brutally fast, by the time you have that kind of speed, the AR alone won't warrant much of a challenge.

anyway hes not totally wrong, you need a certain minimum level of skill to properly play HR, to be able to aim cs5.2 properly, hit high od 300's at least most of the time, and lastly read ar10, but that's not necessarily the ideal time to start playing HR, doing it before you have those skills can accelerate you there quicker.

all in all play whats fun, if you do something that isn't fun to try to get better you'll suffer for it, you won't be as focused and won't get as much out of it, and unless you're super driven, you won't play as much of it as something you enjoy, which leads to less improvement anyway.

and remember to stay hydrated and take frequent breaks.
GoldenWolf
Riince making actual quality post, what happened....
Bauxe

Philosofikal wrote:

I can prove it to you by showing that Can't Defeat Airman is a song you learn to play by doing precisely this. The only way you can learn to play it well is by playing it so many times you know the entire song in your muscle memory.
Because you are a complete fucking moron, I will break down my Airman playcount for you.

~300 - trying to clear the map back when I was bad at this game and struggled. I mean physically incapable of beating the map. ~140 playcount left.

~50 - plays with mods. Hardrock, Doubletime, Flashlight.

~90 - trying to actually fullcombo the map.

It's not hard to play without muscle memory, just most people spammed most of their plays before they had the jump skills required to pass it. All the patterns are basic, the spacing is hard.

If I had never played it to this day, I guarantee you I would pass it first try. Same goes for most of the people in the top ~2,000 players I'd imagine.
buny
It's not a possibility that I retry maps that I liked a lot, right
E m i

Philosofikal wrote:

no, well, at least not necessarily.
I can prove it to you by showing that Can't Defeat Airman is a song you don't learn to play by doing precisely this. The only way you can learn to play it terribly is by playing it 475 times so you incorrectly memorize the entire song.

Illkryn wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Are we looking at the same top scores?

Cos all I see there is a bunch of <1min maps and a pony map + DT
i bet you'd want to have his od9-9.67 SSes at 30k 8-)
also since when are <1min maps inherently easier for PP? I'd rather FC longer maps, preferably with a lot of triple/stream spam, than FC harder maps...
Barusamikosu

[ Momiji ] wrote:

also since when are <1min maps inherently easier for PP? I'd rather FC longer maps, preferably with a lot of triple/stream spam, than FC harder maps...
Probably because it's harder to be consistent in long maps, though I enjoy the kind of map you described too.
autoteleology

Bauxe wrote:

blablabla
Yeah, that's why you went out of your way to mention not being able to full combo Airman in your Twitch bio right?

[ Momiji ] wrote:

xxx
Ignore Illkryn, he purposefully clipped my quote short so it looks like I'm saying something I'm not. Notice how weird the phrasing of the quote is.
Yuudachi-kun
Mommy, I still don't get how you ever incorrectly memorise a song.
Lagel

Kheldragar wrote:

Mommy, I still don't get how you ever incorrectly memorise a song.
I do it now and then with sliders that i mistake for singles
Yuudachi-kun
I do that because I'm bad at reading and just have tonfocus more; it's not memorisation.
Lagel

Kheldragar wrote:

I do that because I'm bad at reading and just have tonfocus more; it's not memorisation.
true true
gregest
reading is easy,play EZ,it helps with reading
show more