forum

[Rule Change] background size

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
happy30
Background images must be at a maximum of 1024x768 pixels for 4:3, 1366x768 pixels for 16:9. Although 1366x768 (16:9) is recommended, most background ratios that are 4:3 or 16:9 should also work reasonably well (for example, 800x600 or 852x480). Using an image with a different ratio is fine, but will result in letterboxing (black bars at the top/bottom of the screen) or upscaling (resized image to fill the whole screen).

I suggest this to be changed to max 1920x1080, it doesn't hurt the image size that much.
Back when this rule was created 1080p monitors weren't that common, now we see more and more 4k monitors.

Change it to:

Background images must be at a maximum of 3mb (3072kb) in size. There are no height:width restrictions. background ratios that are 4:3 or 16:9 are recommended. Using an image with a different ratio is fine, but will result in letterboxing (black bars at the top/bottom of the screen) or upscaling (resized image to fill the whole screen).
ziin
unless there's a really good reason, max should be 3840x2160

As I use 2560x1440 it would be nice. I'm disappointed we still haven't fixed the vague storyboard requirements.
Wafu
I think unless it is not size for 4 monitors or some different troll, all resolutions should be allowed if it has monitor ratio. For example 9:16 would obviously be not allowed as it would look terrible. Personally I would allow any resolutions on both SB and BG if it fits the size limit. Pictures don't cause that big load and I think osu! anyway renders what is important (someone has 640x480, then it loads this, not the rest), but I cannot access the code, it can load whole image, but I think this is solved some way :D
Topic Starter
happy30
Background images must be at a maximum of 1mb (1000kb) in size. There are no height'width restrictions. background ratios that are 4:3 or 16:9 are recommended. Using an image with a different ratio is fine, but will result in letterboxing (black bars at the top/bottom of the screen) or upscaling (resized image to fill the whole screen).

how is something like this?
Okoratu
just saying that 1 mb equals 1024 kb and that i'm against a limit like that because if you wanted a higher res. image as a bg you would prolly need to use either lossy formats or decrease image quality just to not resize it.

which is a bit weird imo
Topic Starter
happy30
there currently isn't really a rule on background image size. I think without the dimension restrictions we should have one to prevent the use of 10mb pngs lol
Wafu
Yeah, I agree with 1mB size limit. If you use 80 quality JPG (Photoshop), by eye it is equal to the 100 quality (100 quality is like 1.5mB for 1920x1080, 80 quality is like 0.6mB) while you won't recognize difference if not using zoom or something. So I think your suggested limit is fine. However change mb to mB (b = bit, B = byte), because you would limit the filesize to 0.125mB. But I think the same wrong is written as a rule for complete file size of .osz :D
Topic Starter
happy30
Some more feedback on the same subject: t/170034
I hope for a reply from the higher ups
ziin
I completely agree with 1 MB, but its changed to a bitmap so the filesize gets much bigger.

You should absolutely not be using a lossless background unless the image is best compressed as lossless. jpg is completely acceptable at 1 MB and 98% quality.

However this should also apply to storyboards as the worst limitations are on storyboards. 2560x480 is a joke.
Rakuen
Just opinion here

I think current background criterias are good enough, and i think most of the players dont use bg when playing, instead, just when recording videos.

Maximize the limit of pics might cause server to be heavy as we have community ranking and a lot BN spam icons.

I feel like as long as the is no pic with big pixels, should be fine.
Wafu

Rakuen wrote:

Just opinion here

I think current background criterias are good enough, and i think most of the players dont use bg when playing, instead, just when recording videos.

Maximize the limit of pics might cause server to be heavy as we have community ranking and a lot BN spam icons.

I feel like as long as the is no pic with big pixels, should be fine.
Because 'most' players don't do something doesn't mean doing it is wrong. Quite often when map contains SB, it is there to make the map look more smooth and creative, what would be even more possible if we were allowed to use higher resolutions.

It won't cause any load on server, because if you know how to compress .jpg, it will be like 1.5x multiplied size of current backrounds, which doesn't hurt that much. Actually, if there was problem about load, I think they would not really keep old graveyarded maps on website, but remove them after that long time, with a warning obviously - and that actually isn't happening so I don't think there would be any big load. Also realize, BN icons spam does cause probably as big load as one forum post does - which happens just once a while and actually, so saying there is already big load because of this is not that much proprer argument, moreover, it's most likely that downloading maps cause bigger load than the thing you mentioned and nobody was ever complaining about this being a problem. Also, we have supporter tag and goods, so don't you think that nowadays peppy witn our support will be able to have good enough server to carry this all?
peppy
The limit is in place for load performance (the time it takes to load large images) not the file size. We can allow @2x backgrounds for higher resolutions easily enough, now that that's a thing.
Topic Starter
happy30
sounds nice peppy
good work :)
Kibbleru

happy30 wrote:

Background images must be at a maximum of 1024x768 pixels for 4:3, 1366x768 pixels for 16:9. Although 1366x768 (16:9) is recommended, most background ratios that are 4:3 or 16:9 should also work reasonably well (for example, 800x600 or 852x480). Using an image with a different ratio is fine, but will result in letterboxing (black bars at the top/bottom of the screen) or upscaling (resized image to fill the whole screen).

I suggest this to be changed to max 1920x1080, it doesn't hurt the image size that much.
Back when this rule was created 1080p monitors weren't that common, now we see more and more 4k monitors.

Change it to:

Background images must be at a maximum of 3mb (3072kb) in size. There are no height:width restrictions. background ratios that are 4:3 or 16:9 are recommended. Using an image with a different ratio is fine, but will result in letterboxing (black bars at the top/bottom of the screen) or upscaling (resized image to fill the whole screen).
i support this. the main thing i could see against it is the filesize though.
Lust

peppy wrote:

The limit is in place for load performance (the time it takes to load large images) not the file size. We can allow @2x backgrounds for higher resolutions easily enough, now that that's a thing.
Flaming this, as the topic has been resolved adequately already.