forum

Can't play as well anymore, considering stopping completely

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zeptinn
So, as I felt stuck when playing with my tablet I decided to change up my settings. What I did was to increase the size of the active area on my tablet, but it's ruined my aiming completely. What I mean by that isn't the obvious "oh no my muscle memory isn't working anymore", it's more that I just can't seem to find a new one either.

It's really depressing not being able to play, looking at notes and trying to hit them but my hand just won't move correctly. I've been playing with the new setting for around a week now, and though I've played less than usual, I've still played quite a bit. So what's happened now is that I can only play old maps, ones that I used to play before - learning new ones are close to impossible.

I just feel fucking terrible, it feels like whatever I do it's not getting better, and honestly I don't even feel like playing the game anymore. Close to just stopping to play and it's making me really sad.

The problem I'm having mainly (other than that I can't relearn my aim) is that it's absolutely impossible to remember how I hold my pen. Like it feels that I have to find a new grip every single fucking day. I've asked how people remember theirs but they haven't given me a single decent answer. I just feel really bad about all of this, I love this game but I can't play it anymore.
Mahogany
Hold your pen like you normally would hold a pen for writing.

Find an area you like and stick with it. I use 2x1.13 inches for reference, try that maybe, but find what's best for you.
Nuolong
You say you've only played with these new settings for about a week.
You need to play with those new settings a bit longer before considering stopping to play osu!..

Have you used Tillerino?
Yuudachi-kun
Try again another day.
E m i

Kheldragar wrote:

Try again another day.
for as many days as it takes
B1rd
Just keep trying until you find a grip that is comfortable for you. Don't worry too much about how your hand feels. When I'm playing bad my hand feels really awkward. What you need to do is keep practising, focus on the screen and not your hand, and eventually it will become comfortable.

Also, threads like these go in Gameplay & Rankings.
-Makishima S-
I have totaly garbage days where i cannot even pass songs what i normaly do on A/S rank with pretty good accuracy, i feel like it's normal. After these days another one is like - holy moly, i wasn't able to pass this song and now i am doing it on A rank with 92% acc.

I also moved to tablet recently, just becouse i got one for work purpose. Took me 2 days to find good tablet active area and now i am working on accuracy what is lower than my mouse.

Just don't give up bro!
Cheer up!
Nub1
I know dat feel
Andrea
Moved to G&R.
FieryLight

aisakatayga wrote:

I have totaly garbage days where i cannot even pass songs what i normaly do on A/S rank with pretty good accuracy, i feel like it's normal. After these days another one is like - holy moly, i wasn't able to pass this song and now i am doing it on A rank with 92% acc.

I also moved to tablet recently, just becouse i got one for work purpose. Took me 2 days to find good tablet active area and now i am working on accuracy what is lower than my mouse.

Just don't give up bro!
Cheer up!
This exactly! Sometimes you just feel sucky. In fact, that's me today. I was playing HDHR over the weekend and could do pretty well and improved my jumping a lot which helped me improve my current nomod scores but today I just sucked. But that's okay, it's normal. On average, after a certain amount of like, like, 3 weeks, I'll definitely be better than how I am on average now.
Barusamikosu
With any major change in playstyle you're going to suck

Hard

You need to stop caring while you adjust. Don't feel anything. Play osu like you're on suicide watch Don't worry Baru is watching you

We've been there. You'll get over your slump eventually.
Synpoo
I'm pretty sure I play with a slightly different grip every single day. Like I'll hold my pen higher or lower, completely randomly but it'll feel natural for some reason so I stick with it.
KanoSet
can't remember your old grip.. choose a new one as a mouse player i actually don't grip my mouse in a certain way, i just hold it randomly till i feel comfortable xD
can't do old maps.. ezy, try new ones it helps :)
the funny thing i can't pass songs with 3.5 stars atm, tho it's should be easy for me :|
bad days are bad days, just don't overthink it and relax
Topic Starter
Zeptinn
Thanks for all the support guys. I'll give it some more time before I do anything too rash.

I also forgot to mention the fact that the reason why it hit me so hard was because it barely took me two days to get used to a tablet (after switching from mouse, and never used a tablet before in my life) so I thought it would be fairly easy to change the settings.

Going to try out some new songs (but not too difficult either) and see how it goes.
deletemyaccount
Don't worry about it, I just changed my tablet settings recently and couldn't play as well either (this makes perfect sense logically as your brain must adjust to the newer settings).

Keep in mind its all about comfort; don't change to a larger active area if its like waay to big, at the same time you don't want an area smaller than a coin (unless you're one of those people who can actually play like this)

just keep on practicing and you'll adjust.
otoed1
Muscle memory takes a while to adjust. I increased my sens by .01x in osu settings and played terribly for an entire day. Big changes will require relearning muscle memory completely. Stop complaining and playmore.
pandaBee

otoed1 wrote:

Muscle memory takes a while to adjust. I increased my sens by .01x in osu settings and played terribly for an entire day. Big changes will require relearning muscle memory completely. Stop complaining and playmore.
That's not necessarily true. It does take more time adjusting to though, that's for sure.
Topic Starter
Zeptinn

Philantropist wrote:

Don't worry about it, I just changed my tablet settings recently and couldn't play as well either (this makes perfect sense logically as your brain must adjust to the newer settings).

Keep in mind its all about comfort; don't change to a larger active area if its like waay to big, at the same time you don't want an area smaller than a coin (unless you're one of those people who can actually play like this)

just keep on practicing and you'll adjust.
I tried playing a bit today and things were going just as badly as usually, however, I did try something new. I lifted my wrist from the tablet and "hovered" it more, and for some reason I played a lot better, felt a lot more comfortable, and a LOT more in-sync with my tablet.

Hoping things will keep going as it is!
dung eater
take a break

play/practice when you feel like it
ZenithPhantasm
Play
Alot
More
8-)
NewOsuName
Your Tilting?
Playing to little?
Playing 2 hard maps 4 u ?
There you have it
-sev

Zeptinn wrote:

and honestly I don't even feel like playing the game anymore
Just take a break, the game will still be here when you come back.
autoteleology
Don't worry. You haven't lost anything because you're not really even very good yet. Just take some time to adjust and experiment with different styles of play, while you're in this slump - if you play a significant yet responsible amount every day you will continuously improve until you hit the limitations of your playstyle.

Now quit looking for attention and get back to clicking circles.
Lagel

Philosofikal wrote:

Don't worry. You haven't lost anything because you're not really even very good yet.
How to disguise an insult 10/10
DahplA
So, if you want to stop playing completely, I assume you don't find this game fun? Well if that's the case, then yes you should stop. If people aren't playing for the fun of it, and just try-hard improve, then they're just lowering the amount of enjoyment they'll get from this game. Play it properly, please.
Lagel

DahplA wrote:

So, if you want to stop playing completely, I assume you don't find this game fun? Well if that's the case, then yes you should stop. If people aren't playing for the fun of it, and just try-hard improve, then they're just lowering the amount of enjoyment they'll get from this game. Play it properly, please.
See that's your opinion, there's is no proper way to "play" this game. I play "tray-hard" just to improve, and no i'm not lowering any enjoyment i get from this game. There are days i enjoy it more compared to others, but either way i'm still enjoying it. Please learn difference between opinion and the "proper" way, not that there is a specific one.
DahplA

Lagel wrote:

DahplA wrote:

See that's your opinion, there's is no proper way to "play" this game. I play "tray-hard" just to improve, and no i'm not lowering any enjoyment i get from this game. There are days i enjoy it more compared to others, but either way i'm still enjoying it. Please learn difference between opinion and the "proper" way, not that there is a specific one.
That is my opinion? Look, if you wanna play like that then it's fine by me, but I really don't see the need to get so worked up when all I'm doing is expressing what I feel.
Lagel

DahplA wrote:

That is my opinion? Look, if you wanna play like that then it's fine by me, but I really don't see the need to get so worked up when all I'm doing is expressing what I feel.
I don't know how you can detect any emotion through a screen, but you said it yourself.

DahplA wrote:

Play it properly, please.
Saphirshroom
The proper way to do anything is enjoying it.
If you must do it then try to enjoy it.

Try-harding is fine and can also be enjoyable.
show more