forum

Aus/NZ osu!standard 25,000+ Tournament

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82
OP has been updated, please read carefully.
Bentobito
Having the seedings be arranged by ranks, isn't that kind of bad?
As the Finals will be Victor Higher ranks vs Victor Lower ranks and the only match in the tournament with the higher ranks vs lower ranks.
Maybe IMHO the seeds should be more randomized
(sorry for my bad explanation but is it understandable?)
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

Bentobito wrote:

Having the seedings be arranged by ranks, isn't that kind of bad?
As the Finals will be Victor Higher ranks vs Victor Lower ranks and the only match in the tournament with the higher ranks vs lower ranks.
Maybe IMHO the seeds should be more randomized
(sorry for my bad explanation but is it understandable?)
I understand your concern but this way the matches will be "fairer" until the grand final, it's makes for better games to start with.
Bentobito
True... I understand where you are coming at but the finals should be the most intense and have the hardest maps (if we assume maps scale in difficulty) with the two strongest competitors.
Thus, for example you have [30k vs 40k] and [90k vs 100k] on an insane song with the former able to keep combos on it whilst the latter barely surviving, the finals would be a harder map with the victor of the higher bracket barely passing and the victor of the lower bracket hardly hitting notes, in which the finals would be a 1 way stomp.
I feel that if the beatmaps get harder over the tournament (in which i believe they should), by the finals the map difficulty would be too high for equal competition.
As such I believe it should be better to have randomized brackets earlier and in easier songs (in which we lower ranked players play more in) there will be a greater chance for victory as compared to the finals where the difficulty is played more by the higher rank.

TLDR: It'll be easier for lower ranks to win in easier songs that they usually play than harder songs the higher ranks play in a scaling competition. Also, 2 high ranks playing round 1 is going to be 2 x SS, gonna be a spinfest... that wouldn't be fun
Vaporwave

I'm sorry, but what happened to this being a #25,000+ tournament...?
WhakMyWontons
that's his mania rank
Vaporwave

WhakMyWontons wrote:

that's his mania rank
Saw after, my mistake.
Theosaur
Oh my god everyone's so good, ahhh >-<
MilkyTaste

Bentobito wrote:

stuff
What you've explained is how the previous tournament was structured, and people complained. They've flipped it to make those people happy. Doesn't matter what you do, someone will have an unfair game at some point.

That said, I agree with your post that it's the finale that should be exciting, but this way at least everyone will enjoy the first first game.

Questions re the rules:

* In the event of a tie on a particular map, that map will become void and no participant will be rewarded with a win.
* A revived score is a counted score. If you have failed at the end of the map however, and your opponent is alive then you will have lost.
What happens if both players fail? Is that a tie?

* Each participant will take turns in selecting a map from the map pool until a winner has been decided.
How is a winner decided? First to 4?

Sorry if I missed the answers in the OP.
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

ScreamingHawk wrote:

* In the event of a tie on a particular map, that map will become void and no participant will be rewarded with a win.
* A revived score is a counted score. If you have failed at the end of the map however, and your opponent is alive then you will have lost.
What happens if both players fail? Is that a tie?
If this happens, the player with the higher score wins.

ScreamingHawk wrote:

* Each participant will take turns in selecting a map from the map pool until a winner has been decided.
How is a winner decided? First to 4?
I haven't fully decided on this but I was thinking a BO7 (first to 4) for up to the semi's where it will maybe be BO9 then the gf which would be BO11

Thanks for raising these points, I will update OP to include them
Vaporwave
Do we have dates for any other matches in the bracket? I need to make sure I have nothing planned for the days I'm playing.
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82
In the evening on Saturday, Sunday and maybe Friday. Like 7pm to a max of 11-11:30pm
TheJimnebob
What! There's no flashlight map pool. :P
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

TheJimnebob wrote:

What! There's no flashlight map pool. :P
m8

pls
TheJimnebob
How will the map difficulty system work? There are some high level people as well as low level in the tournament. How will you decide what maps are right?
Vaporwave

TheJimnebob wrote:

How will the map difficulty system work? There are some high level people as well as low level in the tournament. How will you decide what maps are right?
This.
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

TheJimnebob wrote:

This.
I've been thinking about this because I knew it was going to be a bit of a problem. My current solution is to have two map pools, one for the upper bracket and one for the lower bracket. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to share.
Vaporwave

EmeraldStar82 wrote:

I've been thinking about this because I knew it was going to be a bit of a problem. My current solution is to have two map pools, one for the upper bracket and one for the lower bracket. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to share.
What if a lower rank player gets matched against a higher one...?
MilkyTaste

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

The top half of the tournament has the higher ranked players and lower half the lower ranked, so the extreme cases of this won't happen (until near the finale at least). Do like the idea of having different pools for each bracket.

I was able to clear my opponents top play songs and we are 20k rank different. As long as the maps in my match are sub 4.5 star I think will be fun will both of us.

I'm coming for you - Karamu - ;)
Vaporwave

ScreamingHawk wrote:

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

The top half of the tournament has the higher ranked players and lower half the lower ranked, so the extreme cases of this won't happen (until near the finale at least). Do like the idea of having different pools for each bracket.

I was able to clear my opponents top play songs and we are 20k rank different. As long as the maps in my match are sub 4.5 star I think will be fun will both of us.

I'm coming for you - Karamu - ;)
What I meant is that if someone say 200k+ (I think there's a couple) gets matched with someone sub 30k,
Then it's either going to be boring for one of them. (If one of them manages to get near the finale vsing the same around their rank.)

I don't doubt that someone 20k~ rank above can top their top play songs.
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82
The way the bracket is setup right now, if a 200k manages to get to the final then they would probably have no problem playing insane maps.

I'm going for the most fun setup from the players' point of view without worrying about the finals, I've played in a seeded tournament effort and it wasn't very fun because I got destroyed, if I were to have versed someone of my skill level to start with then it would have been a closer game and it would have also been a lot more fun.
Vaporwave
So hyped. Map pool! :D
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

So hyped. Map pool! :D
It will be released when I get home from school c:
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82
Map pool is live. Check OP.
MilkyTaste
YAY! Some great maps in here :3 Decent range too.

Good luck everyone

Edit: Can you confirm how freemod works? Is it that the person that chooses the map decides the mods for both players or each player picks their own mods? Also is nomod a valid freemod choice? What about flashlight? ;)
TheJimnebob
I believe it is choose what ever mod you want.
TheJimnebob
Is the tie breaker a free mod map?
TheJimnebob
Also the map pack lower leads to the upper one.
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

ScreamingHawk wrote:

Can you confirm how freemod works? or each player picks their own mods? Also is nomod a valid freemod choice? What about flashlight? ;)
The person that chooses the map decides the mods for both players.

Nomod is also a valid freemod choice. No flashlight or double time.

TheJimnebob wrote:

Also the map pack lower leads to the upper one.
Fixed.
-James_old_1
can i participate here?
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

CrimsonMildred wrote:

can i participate here?
Unfortunately this is an Australian/New Zealand tournament only. The registration period has also passed. Sorry mate.
WhakMyWontons
Just to confirm, my match is now 7:30 on Sunday instead of the original 8:00 Saturday?

Also, was this going to end up getting streamed?

Thanks :) Looking forward to post-birthday, pre-exam osu (Y)
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

WhakMyWontons wrote:

Just to confirm, my match is now 7:30 on Sunday instead of the original 8:00 Saturday?

Also, was this going to end up getting streamed?

Thanks :) Looking forward to post-birthday, pre-exam osu (Y)
That is correct, your game has been moved due to the reasons that I PM'd you.

Yes, this will be streamed. ^.^

Happy birthday and good luck with your exams. :)
WhakMyWontons

EmeraldStar82 wrote:

That is correct, your game has been moved due to the reasons that I PM'd you.

Happy birthday and good luck with your exams. :)
Uhhh I don't believe I received a PM other than the one confirming 8pm Sat :P Oh well :D

Cool, and thanks :)
MilkyTaste

EmeraldStar82 wrote:

Can we get the stream details? :)
Vaporwave

ScreamingHawk wrote:

EmeraldStar82 wrote:

Can we get the stream details? :)
^ All of the yes. ;)
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82
I was just given access to the tournament client so unless my computer decides to be a potato every game will be streamed.

Twitch
Vaporwave
Any idea when the round 2 map pool will be released?
Topic Starter
EmeraldStar82

[ Wolfy ] wrote:

Any idea when the round 2 map pool will be released?
Either Sunday or Monday.
TheJimnebob
"Each participant may only select one map from each specialty map pool (DT, HD, HD, Freemod)."

Please change one of the HD's to HR. (In the OP.)
show more