forum

Let's say someone signed up in Antarctica.

posted
Total Posts
show more
[ yogurt ]

konkonation wrote:

I don't think there are any countries in Antarctica lol
At least 5 countries claim territory in Antarctica.
konkonation

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

konkonation wrote:

I don't think there are any countries in Antarctica lol
Yes, but there are no actual countries there.
olivia272
-> http://www.nsf.gov/geo/plr/antarct/anttrty.jsp

The Antarctic Treaty explicitly mentions the following in Article IV § 2: "No acts or activities taking place while the present Treaty is in force shall constitute a basis for asserting, supporting or denying a claim to territorial sovereignty in Antarctica. No new claim, or enlargement of an existing claim, to territorial sovereignty shall be asserted while the present Treaty is in force".
Aurani
Please, I beg you, don't discuss something you have literally no idea about. The idiocy is getting a tad bit unbearable.
FrzR
It's where the cool kids sign up.
bigfeh

Aurani wrote:

Please, I beg you, don't discuss something you have literally no idea about. The idiocy is getting a tad bit unbearable.
Not sure who that was aimed at, so I'm not even gonna say anything yet

olivia272 wrote:

-> http://www.nsf.gov/geo/plr/antarct/anttrty.jsp

The Antarctic Treaty explicitly mentions the following in Article IV § 2: "No acts or activities taking place while the present Treaty is in force shall constitute a basis for asserting, supporting or denying a claim to territorial sovereignty in Antarctica. No new claim, or enlargement of an existing claim, to territorial sovereignty shall be asserted while the present Treaty is in force".
It's really subtle, so I'll highlight it for you: (no irony intended here)

olivia272 wrote:

[...]
No new claim, or enlargement of an existing claim
[...]
As we all know, the Antarctic Treaty was signed in June 23, 1961, and explicitly only covers claims made after it was signed. So yes, there are seven states which maintain territory claims in Antarctica.

Before telling other people to get their shit straight (and implying or explicitly calling them stupid), maybe you guys should get your shit straight first. How about that?

also edit

konkonation wrote:

YOGURTOVSKY wrote:

Yes, but there are no actual countries there.
Claiming territory is kind of what "makes a country be somewhere".

all of my what
Aurani
Please let a mod move this to Off-topic, so I can properly discuss it and take a dump on it.
olivia272

bigfeh wrote:

As we all know, the Antarctic Treaty was signed in June 23, 1961, and explicitly only covers claims made after it was signed. So yes, there are seven states which maintain territory claims in Antarctica.

Before telling other people to get their shit straight (and implying or explicitly calling them stupid), maybe you guys should get your shit straight first. How about that?
Thank you for offering perspective and being more attentive to detail.
bigfeh

olivia272 wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Thank you for offering perspective and being more attentive to detail.
Not sure if irony, but you're welcome either way

edit: just figured I'd point out that you were not an ass, so please don't take any of what I said as an offense to you

Aurani wrote:

Please let a mod move this to Off-topic, so I can properly discuss it and take a dump on it.
Oh, do you really need it to be on OT? I don't think so

Come on, give me your best
trebby

Fr33z3R wrote:

It's where the cool kids sign up.
There are no cool kids playing osu.
Renevant

bigfeh wrote:

all of my what
I agree with you on everything except that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territori ... Antarctica

There's a difference between a territory claim and a country. Yes, "Land claims are a legal declaration of desired control over areas of property including bodies of water. " (which is basically the same definition as a county) . But, "The phrase is usually only used with respect to disputed or unresolved land claims." Which is basically what Antarctica is. It's not appropriate to call it a country in this situation. Especially since this treaty expires soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_claim
bigfeh

Renevant wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

all of my what
I agree with you on everything except that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territori ... Antarctica

There's a difference between a territory claim and a country. Yes, "Land claims are a legal declaration of desired control over areas of property including bodies of water. " (which is basically the same definition as a county) . But, "The phrase is usually only used with respect to disputed or unresolved land claims." Which is basically what Antarctica is. It's not appropriate to call it a country in this situation. Especially since this treaty expires soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_claim
I would emphasize the "kind of", which was supposed to indicate what you just said, but there's no arguing that this is moar complete
Topic Starter
Setsuna
Im guessing the thread went from [Lets say someone signed up in Antarctica] to the Antarctica Treaty O-o?Hehe

So what are the qualifications for The World Cup? I know some countries have first place players that are around 2500-3000pp. They certainly wont be able to participate in The World Cup.

edit: What would it take for Antarctica to make into the World Cup :o?
bigfeh

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

Im guessing the thread went from [Lets say someone signed up in Antarctica] to the Antarctica Treaty O-o?Hehe

So what are the qualifications for The World Cup? I know some countries have first place players that are around 2500-3000pp. They certainly wont be able to participate in The World Cup.

There would need to be a country named Antarctica first

because continents can't participate
Kouya-
For a second I thought it said "Let's say someone signed up in Africa"

Then I realized what a fool I am .
boat

Kouya- wrote:

Yeah imagine Africa being an actual place lmfao
Yuudachi-kun

boat wrote:

Kouya- wrote:

Yeah imagine Africa being an actual place lmfao
With internet access.
bigfeh
guys can we stop with the dark humor?
trebby
Well, I'm pretty sure no one would live in Antarctica and play osu anytime soon. So basically there's no chance at all for Antarctica to participate in the world cup.
bigfeh

CuboidBeats wrote:

Well, I'm pretty sure no one would live in Antarctica and play osu anytime soon. So basically there's no chance at all for Antarctica to participate in the world cup.

Thanks, captain
have a new avatar
trebby

bigfeh wrote:

CuboidBeats wrote:

Thanks, captain
have a new avatar
Nah.
Trash Boat
People still say thank you Captain Obvious?
bigfeh

Trash Boat wrote:

People still say thank you Captain Obvious?
nah, just figured I'd dig up an old one
Topic Starter
Setsuna

bigfeh wrote:

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

There would need to be a country named Antarctica first

because continents can't participate
Thats where you are wrong. In the ever-thawing tip of Antarctica, there's a small little island with a village of igloos that is inhabited by 50 penguins, 25 seals, 12.5 orcas and a human. It is formally called us Setsunation, ruled by none other than - ISetsunaI -.

Ill have u know, i am now writing to scientists in Antarctica to make an Osu! account. (No joke).

Ill pay for their transport to Setsunation.
Aurani
So... why is this not locked yet?
E m i

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

what's the meaning of this
Topic Starter
Setsuna

Aurani wrote:

Well besides the nonsense i say sometimes, i did ask a legitimate question, it was answered, and now im asking for more. I also wanted to know what qualifications it takes to get into the World Cup (i mean, scientists can do anything right?)
bigfeh

Aurani wrote:

Unsure, but you still haven't "properly discussed" anything or "taken a dump" on it as you said you would
Aurani
Well, for starters - you need people. Actual alive humans being able to tap their dic- I mean keys faster than your average Joe.
Sadly, that place has none, so there is no point in asking it. :p

bigfeh wrote:

Aurani wrote:

Unsure, but you still haven't "properly discussed" anything or "taken a dump" on it as you said you would
Are you just choosing to be blind or did you not notice the "MOVE IT INTO OFF-TOPIC" part? I'm not going to annoy some random mod with too much power by starting a rather insulting conversation with someone in GD. In OT, I can freely say my opinion, which I would've done if this was there, and not here.
Topic Starter
Setsuna

Aurani wrote:

Well, for starters - you need people. Actual alive humans being able to tap their dic- I mean keys faster than your average Joe.
Sadly, that place has none, so there is no point in asking it. :p
Well there are people/scientist there all over the world studying there for a fixed time (varies from 6 months - several years). Kind of like the space thingy where all dem astronauts go on a field trip :3
Aurani
By "has none", I meant players on this game. :p
Topic Starter
Setsuna

Aurani wrote:

By "has none", I meant players on this game. :p
None.... yet
Aurani
Do I get an invite to dinner if you move there? I want to visit it. :p
Topic Starter
Setsuna

Aurani wrote:

Do I get an invite to dinner if you move there? I want to visit it. :p
Only if u have Visa to Setsunation which clearly you haven't met the requirements:

$1,000,000 worth of Osu Donations
$1,000,000 worth of tablets/pens/nibs (in case u break ur current pen/scratched ur tablet, etc)
Fluent in Brazilian (So u can translate that Maffalda song)
Fluent AND can read in Japanese (be my personal LN/VN reader)
and believe in Setsunationism. Our religion :(
E m i

Aurani wrote:

In OT, I can freely say my opinion
you can say your opinion everywhere. (results may differ)

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

Fluent in Brazilian
8-)
bigfeh

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

Fluent in Brazilian (So u can translate that Maffalda song)
this is better than the best of /b/'s cringe threads
Topic Starter
Setsuna
I just realized what i said.

I have a portugese friend and when i showed him that Maffalda song he cringed.

Then he said Brazilians speak the same language as them.

Then i realized the language was portugese.

if Portugese people speak the same language as Brazilians then that makes Brazilians speak Portugese.

Oh god im a retard, it took me a paragraph proof to realize i said something really idiotic X_X
bigfeh

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

if Portugese people speak the same language as Brazilians then that makes Brazilians speak Portugese.

Oh god im a retard, it took me a paragraph proof to realize i said something really idiotic X_X
no m8 that's not true at all

everyone knows portugal was colonized by antartica and africa but after the civil war brazil colonized it again

so that's the story of why portugal, spain, japan and australia and the rest of europe and islamic countries speak brazilian
Topic Starter
Setsuna

bigfeh wrote:

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

no m8 that's not true at all

everyone knows portugal was colonized by antartica and africa but after the civil war brazil colonized it again

so that's the story of why portugal, spain, japan and australia and the rest of europe and islamic countries speak brazilian
thx maen s0rz, history teacher iz whacko whacko in da brayn. chu halped me owt!
Charm

- ISetsunaI - wrote:

Thats where you are wrong. In the ever-thawing tip of Antarctica, there's a small little island with a village of igloos that is inhabited by 50 penguins, 25 seals, 12.5 orcas and a human. It is formally called us Setsunation, ruled by none other than - ISetsunaI -.

Ill have u know, i am now writing to scientists in Antarctica to make an Osu! account. (No joke).

Ill pay for their transport to Setsunation.

pay for my transport der too pliz