forum

[Archived] Random osu! freezes, no crash

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bigfeh
Problem Details: Random single-app freezes. A freeze usually lasts anywhere between .5 to 30 seconds. The game invariably starts responding again. (am running cutting edge right now, but it's happened to me on the same computer (and same osu! install) on ce, beta and stable branches. Also pretty sure this isn't a bottleneck, given the system specifications. Happens on menus as well as during play

Video or screenshot showing the problem: Screenshots are useless because they don't capture motion, and videos are most likely impossible because the game freezes (kind of the point)

osu! version: 20150402.1cuttingedge

directx diagnostic report
msinfo report
Bara-
Do you have other programs open running in the background?
Especiialy chrome, firefox, internet explorer, uTorrent and Skype will cause huge lag
Topic Starter
bigfeh

baraatje123 wrote:

Especiialy chrome, firefox, internet explorer, uTorrent and Skype will cause huge lag
Yes, but given the fact that I can run two games (I've already tried Evolve + cs:go, battlefield 3 + league of legends, etc.) at the same time with decent framerate, I'd say that's not the issue

Skype is a massive resource hog but it's not one of the worst offenders unless you're in a call

Firefox's always open but that's not it either (has happened while it was closed).

also chrome is bad and vuze > utorrent (though it's never open)
Wingman626

baraatje123 wrote:

i second this notion

refer to "basic troubleshooting steps" (ignore the "before posting" comment since that doesn't apply to you)

and t/314473 at the "long instructions" box
Topic Starter
bigfeh

wingman626 wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

i second this notion

refer to "basic troubleshooting steps" (ignore the "before posting" comment since that doesn't apply to you)

and t/314473 at the "long instructions" box
I wouldn't be here if I hadn't tried basic troubleshooting first. I'm not a retard

And let it be said that usually in other places I'm the guy to guide people through troubleshooting
VeilStar
Does this happen only in osu!? Is your osu! installed on a different drive compared other games (or applications)?
It sounds like disk freezing to me, but if it doesn't happen anywhere else it's very doubtable it would be that.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

VeilStar wrote:

Does this happen only in osu!? Is your osu! installed on a different drive compared other games (or applications)?
It sounds like disk freezing to me, but if it doesn't happen anywhere else it's very doubtable it would be that.
Yes, only happens in osu!. OS and other running processes are responsive during freeze

It's installed in the same disk as the OS, both HDDs are in good health and the array is perfectly functional. (In only have one drive :P)
(and even though this is not it, that was a good call - I would never think of that)
Rin Kagamine
Mm, same problem here, if that helps anything.
Wingman626

bigfeh wrote:

I wouldn't be here if I hadn't tried basic troubleshooting first. I'm not a retard

And let it be said that usually in other places I'm the guy to guide people through troubleshooting
no one here, not even myself, assumed that you were a "retard" as you have called it.

i always list basic steps and thread links for common issue's first. please do not assume that someone such as myself deems you unintelligible for thinking that maybe you haven't done the basics first; that was never my intention and I'm sorry if i came off in that way.

---------------------

well, from reading about it, i would have gone with your HDD freezing up. but as Veilstar stated and by your clarification, it is not (you mentioned only the osu application freezing and not the rest of the computer).

bottle-necking or resource hogging? well, based on your dxdiag and msinfo report, "given the system specifications", i highly doubt it as well.

ill go on a hunch here; maybe that sector of your HDD is bad (i mean you did say you checked your hard drive and nothing seems out of place or any error messages where given)

bigfeh wrote:

It's installed in the same disk as the OS, both HDDs are in good health and the array is perfectly functional. (In only have one drive :P)
my guess?
try changing the directory of osu! and repair folder permissions after that (run it off of a flash drive as a control test) and see if that changes anything.

never heard of this problem before. most cases of freezing or lagging is almost always the whole computer itself and not just osu by itself. i was also thinking about compatibility issues with maybe your hardware, drivers, or some other factor; but since it was working before this point, i doubt that as well.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

wingman626 wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

no one here, not even myself, assumed that you were a "retard" as you have called it.

i always list basic steps and thread links for common issue's first. please do not assume that someone such as myself deems you unintelligible for thinking that maybe you haven't done the basics first; that was never my intention and I'm sorry if i came off in that way.

---------------------

well, from reading about it, i would have gone with your HDD freezing up. but as Veilstar stated and by your clarification, it is not (you mentioned only the osu application freezing and not the rest of the computer).

bottle-necking or resource hogging? well, based on your dxdiag and msinfo report, "given the system specifications", i highly doubt it as well.

ill go on a hunch here; maybe that sector of your HDD is bad (i mean you did say you checked your hard drive and nothing seems out of place or any error messages where given)

bigfeh wrote:

my guess?
try changing the directory of osu! and repair folder permissions after that (run it off of a flash drive as a control test) and see if that changes anything.

never heard of this problem before. most cases of freezing or lagging is almost always the whole computer itself and not just osu by itself. i was also thinking about compatibility issues with maybe your hardware, drivers, or some other factor; but since it was working before this point, i doubt that as well.
First off - I'm the one who should be apologizing here. You didn't do anything, really. I guess the internet has just made me cynical.

As for the problem itself, there are zero bad sectors, read/write errors, seek errors, reallocation events or uncorrectable sectors in both disks. By now, I think it's safe to conclude they're not the problem.

I could try moving osu! to a flash drive, but then again I doubt it's going to do anything. I just repaired folder permissions, but would like to continue troubleshooting. The freezes really are random so I can't tell whether they're gone right now. Will keep watching and update as soon as something comes up
Topic Starter
bigfeh
Bump because I said I'd update as soon as something happened, and it just froze in my face
VeilStar
Well, instead of going over countless possibilities I'm just gonna throw 2 things at you.

1. Folder permissions. Don't even ask me why I'm even bringing this up, but give it a shot anyway. Click the button shown in the screenshot.
2. Audio drivers/software. Close any audio software trough the task manager, and see if there's any changes.
Uninstall whatever audio drivers you have installed, see if osu! runs properly without them. Then re-install them and check again.

Other than that all I can really say is to monitor anything and everything (system resources, temperatures, load levels, anything)
and see if anything 'weird' changes at the same time osu! freezes, and go from there.
Topic Starter
bigfeh

VeilStar wrote:

Well, instead of going over countless possibilities I'm just gonna throw 2 things at you.

1. Folder permissions. Don't even ask me why I'm even bringing this up, but give it a shot anyway. Click the button shown in the screenshot.
2. Audio drivers/software. Close any audio software trough the task manager, and see if there's any changes.
Uninstall whatever audio drivers you have installed, see if osu! runs properly without them. Then re-install them and check again.

Other than that all I can really say is to monitor anything and everything (system resources, temperatures, load levels, anything)
and see if anything 'weird' changes at the same time osu! freezes, and go from there.
I tried repairing folder perms but I think I'll go take a look at Steelseries' software next. Thanks for the suggestions