forum

"Take a Break" reminders with exercises to prevent RSI

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +42
Topic Starter
TomoAlien
From what I know, many people seem to get repetitive strain injuries from playing osu! for overly long periods of time. Since this is a health concern, and I don't think anyone would want to have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I do believe that there should be a feature added that would cause a reminder telling the player to take a break after playing for a longer period of time, and it would give instructions for exercises that would reduce the risk of getting hand injuries. I know, a very strange feature request, but I do believe it's a rational request that would benefit players who lose track of time while trying to get those top spots. After all, you ain't gonna be able to get a score if you can't move your hands without them hurting.

Yes, this was inspired by what Nintendo did, but also it was inspired while browsing the osu! subreddit, where I saw an alarming amount of people complaining that their hands hurt, and then searching for the subject of hand injuries on the forums didn't help matters.

So basically, there should be reminders that would tell the player to take a break and do some exercises so that they won't hurt themselves due to prolonged gaming sessions. Of course, the feature shouldn't interrupt the gameplay, instead appearing after the beatmap has been beaten/failed. Also, it should be possible to turn off those reminders since some people might find them unpleasant and annoying, although switching it off would warn the player about the health hazards and ask for confirmation.

What do you think of such a feature? I do believe that it'd be great addition that would make osu! players more aware of their health.
Thanks in advance! :)

TL;DR: Game will tell you to take a break and do some hand exercises to prevent RSI if you play for too long.
Vuelo Eluko
ive always been against the idea of interfering with natural selection; people should know their limits and play with them in mind, but if it can be disabled i dont see an issue.
Yuudachi-kun
Do some people really play 9 hours straight a day to get RSI? I've never understood. My hand gets sore after like 5 hours and I rarely ever play that much a day.
Deimos
Your hand hurts? Take a break.

Simple common sense.

Do such kind of features even help? I mean how dumb/brainless do we have to expect the players are... "oh, my hand hurts from overusing, may I just take a break? a fuck it, Yolo, who cares about pain"
Ash Marley
We don't need osu to be parents. Having self control is on you.
7ambda
There is a message that sometimes appears at the title screen.
GhostFrog

F1r3tar wrote:

There is a message that sometimes appears at the title screen.
"Make sure to take breaks every so often. Your hands have to serve you in life for more than just osu! spinners." I first saw that message the first or second day I played osu!. I read it, chuckled slightly, and closed the game. That was when I knew I was hooked.

It might be worth it to make something similar to that message always appear, though maybe somewhere other than the main screen. Song select, maybe. The power of suggestion can be pretty strong. Ultimately though, it's the responsibility of each individual player to respect their own limits and to stop playing when their hands tell them to. I don't think something like this would do much for people who are so willing to ignore their bodies' messages that they give themselves RSI, but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing for those few cases it might help.
lenpai
More people find "take a break" messages annoying compared to those who actually appreciate it.

I doubt that a significant amount of people would even take heed to such message :P
FurukawaPan
If it were forced that would be annoying. I don't care if it was optional reminders.
Ash Marley
Also people are well aware they might be playing too much. They don't continue because they don't realise it and need to be told. They continue because they want to, regardless.
Wuxo
Some people will get RSI easy as f..k, some people simply will not get it at all.
I got my computer like 7-8 years ago and the internet lilke 5-6 years ago. Basicly, since then(when i got the internet) i'm pretty much all day on my computer. Even without osu i moved (and still moving) my mouse alot. What hapen? Well, nothing.
And, btw, message „take a break“ will be pretty annoying
Nathanael
Well it can be added at the menu tips. "Don't force yourself playing if you're already reaching your limit"
DENKOUSEKKA

Nathanael wrote:

Well it can be added at the menu tips. "Don't force yourself playing if you're already reaching your limit"
Yeah, This sounds like a better way to me lol (Even though some people disable menu tips)
trebby
Literally nobody would leave that option on.
Vuelo Eluko

Nathanael wrote:

but playing at your limit is when the magic happens 600pp the dream :(
Mahogany
Truth, my right arm hurt for 3 days straight because I played from like 2pm-11pm one day

The exercises part is what interests me though
sangu
@OP

You can use an application called "RSI Guard." It basically does what you are asking for. (Gives you stretches and tips to not get RSI every 40 minutes or something) I had it at work, but I turned it off because it was annoying...

If you are interested, here is the 45 day trial download.... You will not see me using it
boat
The kind of person who will mash buttons until their hands break will likely just dismiss and disregard a warning/reminder so ultimately the message only goes through to those sensible enough to stop when enough is enough; clearly the wrong demographic.

Raising awareness is a good idea but the suggested method wont stop anyone set on playing from doing it.
Flanster
So you need this to realise you should take breaks and not break your hands?
Lmao self-restraint dude.
Remco
Well, i used to play a lot, hands not hurting a single bit but seeing a message telling me to take a break would be ok.
Some other games give you a message when you play like an hour and ask you to take a break.
It's more the time you spend on the game than your hand hurting and aslong as it is optitional it might be a good idea.
Spending 7 hours in a row playing circle click simulator isn't that great lol.
But if the community doesn't like the idea of having it then it should not be added I don't care either way.
Gala
Logical request. When in the heat of constantly replaying to finish a hard map, you can lose track of time. Along with that, people are saying that you should stop when your hands hurt. This feature is to prevent people from playing to the stage where their hands hurt. I'd say this message should appear every hour or so, when a player is not in a game. That way it could remind them of how long they've played, and they'd be like "Oh, it's been that long? I should probably stop now."
Deimos
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

still redundant and annoying
Bence

Deimos wrote:

"oh, my hand hurts from overusing, may I just take a break? a fuck it, Yolo, who cares about pain"

lol that's me

Seriously though, I don't want to be reminded by BanchoBot how sad my life is. Everyone knows their limits and noone forces them to play until they bleed.
But I would be okay with this if it comes as a pre-disabled option.
Bara-
Is this even needed?
Where is all the common sense?
VeilStar

baraatje123 wrote:

Where is all the common sense?
In a different thread.