forum

[duplicate] Skin preview and selection menu.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zup
Hey OSU! forums. Just a recommendation with the Skin preview and selection.
* Currently the only option to view skins is through the small window that shows elements of the skin. :!:
* Previewing skins is slow, opening to menu to select a new one is required on each skin.
* The only way to view the old selection screen (The full-screen one) is to load a skin an uninstalled skin and it will appear. I personally felt that, that gave a better view.

- There should be a 'up arrow, down arrow' button bind that scrolls through skins rather than opening to menu to preview a new skin every time.

- There should be a drag and drop skin folder option. '+' option, makes folder. double click folder, prompts rename text bar. Bam you can drag skins in it in game.

- If something similar to the previous skin selection menu is implemented I would like to see it snap to parts of songs that are playing notes, because in that old screen I found myself waiting for notes to appear :cry: so I could see what the skin looks like.

Personally i'd label my folders 'Terrible' , 'Awesome', 'haswaifus', 'Dark Skins', 'Bright Skins' etc haha.
Anyway you guys are the best and I hope something like this isn't a hassle to implement :) You'll probably come up with a better result.
JMeeko
I'm a skin collector and I feel the same way. I love the whole Osu custom skins and the way how someone can make one and I can DL it and use it - but your issue is a problem for me to. When i change my skins, I don't know what each skin is because I cant remember 50+ skin names. :o

Hopefully this issue can be addressed in the future. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to implement, but I'm not a programmer 8-)
TheOmyNomy
I think they should just bring back the old skin menu. If you're like me and have 50+ skins, the new skin drop down menu goes forever and gets really annoying. Maybe even just have a search bar so you can search for skin you want.

Overall I think something needs to be done about this.
I can already feel the haters coming...
Seijiro
Sorry if I bother this discussion, but I was wondering: Can you use more than a skin at once?
The answer is obviously "no", so where is the need for that?
Ok, I give you credit on the fact it's really boring if you have a lot of skins, but when you add a new one you should already know all the others.
Last thing: don't you have a skin you really like? or at least which you find more comfortable to play with? If so, you don't really need such an option xD

In the end I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it though, so why not :3
I'm in the grey area for this
Topic Starter
Zup

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

Sorry if I bother this discussion, but I was wondering: Can you use more than a skin at once?
Last thing: don't you have a skin you really like? or at least which you find more comfortable to play with? If so, you don't really need such an option xD
In the end I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it though, so why not :3
I'm in the grey area for this
You can almost use two at once by combining elements of different skins.
Yeah I usually only use one skin but every now and then I do like to scroll through my skins and have a look at them.
It's just a small improvement to selection. Not encouraging anything else.
Oinari-sama
Support t/210446 for in-game skin interface. Pay attention to peppy's post ;)

t/223924 is better than the "folder" idea you mentioned and achieves the same result.
Topic Starter
Zup

Oinari-sama wrote:

Support t/210446 for in-game skin interface. Pay attention to peppy's post ;)

t/223924 is better than the "folder" idea you mentioned and achieves the same result.

Ahhk I see. It has been mentioned times before. Should I delete this post?
peppy
How about you mention which elements are most important to you when selecting a skin and I'll see what I can do?
Topic Starter
Zup

peppy wrote:

How about you mention which elements are most important to you when selecting a skin and I'll see what I can do?
I think it's best it that the preview box is given a bit more size, also if you can add animations of sliding/hitting etc that'd be awesome.

But really what would be most convenient is just the quicker navigation/selection. The preview only needs a little improvement. :)
JMeeko
It would be nice to see the skin preview in the options menu bigger or something. The BEST case scenario for me is for the options menu to have an 'button' to open to the screen with AI playing a beatmap and you can choose the skin and watch it play, just like what happens when you load in a skin. :)
SweetMate
Perhaps the old preview page but with a different way to navigate through your skin collection. (not having 10 pages of skins with 7 skins on each page)
Maybe the new drop-down menu but on the old preview page?
NinjaNick
What would be really cool is if you were scrolling through your skins and when you leave your cursor on one skin for a few seconds a small preview video will pop out to the side demonstrating what it would look like if you used that skin for the current song that is playing. It's almost like you take the old preview video and make it smaller.