community forum

Project Spectrum - I need YOUR help! (Updated 03/23/2014)

posted
Total Posts
56
show more
incelost

Philosofikal wrote:

Nope. The skin style I'm using (single-ended slider) dictates I have to manually set each number as a hitcircle, which means there can only be ten numbers.
You are wrong, its possible using hitcircleoverlay-0. But this will get tricky if you want to keep a background behind the actual number.
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Franzium wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Nope. The skin style I'm using (single-ended slider) dictates I have to manually set each number as a hitcircle, which means there can only be ten numbers.
You are wrong, its possible using hitcircleoverlay-0. But this will get tricky if you want to keep a background behind the actual number.
Are you saying that hit circle overlay only applies to one side of the slider?
Fatal3ty

Philosofikal wrote:

Are you saying that hit circle overlay only applies to one side of the slider?
Of course it can, look at my old Clear Skin Ultra 1.1 (t/268369) and Hitcircle consists of hitcircleoverlay-0.png

Disadvantage: background has to go. Otherwise, one sees no point anymore because it is covered. :(
incelost
You can keep the backgrund and create a completely white texture where the alpha-channel is based on the brightness of the particular pixels. This keeps the effect and works properly with completely white numbers (therefore, no shadow on the them).
Haskorion
Please, like in the previous skin, make a solid menu-button-background. It just seems lazy if you skin it out and confusing for others when the beatmap has a white background.
Topic Starter
autoteleology
Are you sure you're talking about the correct component? What does the beatmap have to do with menu-button-background?
Haskorion
Don't you think something like this just looks too hard to read?

I used this map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/620789 for the screenshot and your first spectrum skin (exactly the same menu-button-background).
Remember that not everyone uses full background dim even if you would recommend it.
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Haskorion wrote:

Don't you think something like this just looks too hard to read?

I used this map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/620789 for the screenshot and your first spectrum skin (exactly the same menu-button-background).
Remember that not everyone uses full background dim even if you would recommend it.
It looks like you're not using any background dim whatsoever. I have no idea how you play like that.

Anyways, if you ARE playing like in that style, I'd think you'd have bigger worries - I can't read the beatmap at all under 70% dim because my approach circles and hitcircle borders are also white. Should I also remake the entire skin so that it shows up this non-optimal use case?
incelost

Philosofikal wrote:

It looks like you're not using any background dim whatsoever. Anyways, if you're playing like that, I'd think you'd have bigger worries - I can't even read the beatmap under 70% because my approach circles and hitcircle borders are white as well. And, if that's the case, should I remake the entire skin so that it shows up in a non-optimal use case?
This behaviour is dimmer-independent...
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Franzium wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

It looks like you're not using any background dim whatsoever. Anyways, if you're playing like that, I'd think you'd have bigger worries - I can't even read the beatmap under 70% because my approach circles and hitcircle borders are white as well. And, if that's the case, should I remake the entire skin so that it shows up in a non-optimal use case?
This behaviour is dimmer-independent...
How is it dimmer independent when the problem is that having no dim on a white background makes white text hard to read, unless you're talking about during breaks, where dim still applies to some percent? Adding around 50% dim completely solves the problem because it changes, in worst case scenario, pure white (255,255,255) to pure grey (127,127,127) (unless the dim is not linear in some aspect.
incelost

Philosofikal wrote:

How is it dimmer independent when the problem is that having no dim on a white background makes white text hard to read, unless you're talking about during breaks, where dim still applies to some percent? Adding around 50% dim completely solves the problem because it changes, in worst case scenario, pure white (255,255,255) to pure grey (127,127,127) (unless the dim is not linear in some aspect.
The "problem" as you called it can also be found in beatmap-selection, Im not talking about gameplay only.
Agrrox
the approach circles are enormous...
Fatal3ty

Agrrox wrote:

the approach circles are enormous...
Then it replaces a your own Approach Circle? I'm doing it that way, I prefer very thin approach circle, thinner than normal. :)
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Franzium wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

How is it dimmer independent when the problem is that having no dim on a white background makes white text hard to read, unless you're talking about during breaks, where dim still applies to some percent? Adding around 50% dim completely solves the problem because it changes, in worst case scenario, pure white (255,255,255) to pure grey (127,127,127) (unless the dim is not linear in some aspect.
The "problem" as you called it can also be found in beatmap-selection, Im not talking about gameplay only.
Have you updated Osu! lately? They added a blurring and darkening filter to the song select background, coincidentally right after I asked for it in the Feature Request forum.

p/3991681#p3991681

I like how the song select looks without a background. It also does something that is very hard to accomplish with a background - it doesn't break when you turn off and on the thumbnails preview. I wanted to make the interface look as cohesive as possible, and that required removing the background to make the text look the same as everywhere else. It's the same reason I used the Aller font in every area that required type.
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Agrrox wrote:

the approach circles are enormous...
Is that really a bad thing, or is it just different from what you're used to?

I experimented with a variety of approach circle thicknesses (everywhere from 2px to 16px) and found thicker ones to work best for my needs.

Even on 200BPM static streams, I have not noticed a readability problem with overlapping. I've always used the inside of the approach circle to judge precise timing, and this helps with that - larger approach circles are also more eye catching, ghost on the monitor much less severely, appear more fluid, scale to practically any circle size properly, and anti-alias quite well.

Just for the record, I'm not just being argumentative for the sake of defending myself. I'm genuinely interested in your comments, but in order for me to use your suggestions, you have to give me a compelling argument as to why the benefits of changing it outweigh the hassle and drawbacks. Being able to single-end sliders while still using regular number counting is a very good reason to change my skin (and thanks for showing me that it's possible) - readability on background dim 0% is not.
Topic Starter
autoteleology
I'm having a problem making hitcircleoverlay-0 my hitcircle. It doesn't show up in the slider whatsoever.
Fatal3ty
I come with thick Approach Circle can not handle it. It is so confusing that I can not click, so it? Too many at once I see no longer the Circle because Approach Circles is covered everything. I play with 1 pixel thick Approach Circle and I see all Circle where to click. Everyone has different a matter of habit.

Skin.ini > HitcircleAboveNumbers 0 change to 1. Problem fixed for Hitcircleoverlay-0.png on Slidern. :)
Topic Starter
autoteleology
Wow, is the hitcircleoverlay-0 supposed to disappear when that is set to 1? Is that a bug?
Fatal3ty

Philosofikal wrote:

Wow, is the hitcircleoverlay-0 supposed to disappear when that is set to 1? Is that a bug?
No, hitcircleoverlay-0.png is at HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer: 0 not at the sliders. Only when you set to 1, Circle is simply displayed. For the sliders

Edit: Sorry with my Typos. :D
OsuMe65

HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer: 1

Likely to be, quite a big deal. If you hit the first circle (the violet-blue one), it will change to orange-green as you drag the slider ball to the end of the slider.
Give it a try if the issue is 5 worthy
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply