forum

LAN [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
po456asd
want lan mode =w=

LAN - Local Area Network (LAN)

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/lanv ... ef_lan.htm
blissfulyoshi
Since I am curious, what do you want a LAN mode for?

You can already play songs and make maps offline. The only thing I can think of that LAN can be used for is muliplayer, and I think having an offline multiplayer in osu! is not that useful because lag in multiplayer games is mostly caused by your own PC and not lag from other people.
Gabi
LAN (if i can remember correct) will eventually be implemented into osu! but i don't think it's high priority right now. Either that or LAN was currently not possible, can't really remember. Maybe it will get implemented when we get closer to P2P.
anonymous_old
Reasons I immediately see for LAN:
  1. Low-latency spectating.
  2. Very fast map sharing (e.g. P2P).
  3. EBA/OTO-like multiplayer modes.
  4. See other player's cursor while in a multiplayer match.
  5. Webcam as avatar/spectator background.
That being said, peppy stated this was already being considered for the future.

(And we're techie enough to understand what a LAN is. We're not mind readers enough to understand why you want LAN support.)
peppy
When I started making osu!, this was a high priority feature. I lanned a lot with friends. This no longer happens. I don't know if this is worldwide, but gaming has moved to the internet. I know the benefits of having lan support, but it's not a simple move and requires either a local implementation of Bancho, or huge netcode changes.
TeaAnyOne
+ any LAN tournaments in the future
Seth-Rah
is there maybe an older downloadable version of Osu!
what still has multiplayer (if it had ever)

I need it for a local tournament ill be hosting at a LARGE LAN
Xgor
LAN's are still big in Sweden (Dunno how it is in other countries) so I think this is a good thing to have
Mara

Xgor wrote:

LAN's are still big in Sweden (Dunno how it is in other countries) so I think this is a good thing to have
It's also big thing in Finland too. I'm supporting this.
peppy

Seth-Rah wrote:

is there maybe an older downloadable version of Osu!
what still has multiplayer (if it had ever)

I need it for a local tournament ill be hosting at a LARGE LAN
I suggest you find an internet connection, or play offline.
Seth-Rah
been thinking of just using screenshots of scorecard after song, at end of lan all just bring to me and i accumalate final score ^-^
Daru

Seth-Rah wrote:

been thinking of just using screenshots of scorecard after song, at end of lan all just bring to me and i accumalate final score ^-^
You can just do it online -- the benefits of LAN would include anything that requires low-latency communication, i.e. seeing other players' cursors in tag games.
Esupanitix
Even though I don't feel like I will ever do this, it seems like a good idea.

Support
Seth-Rah

Daru wrote:

You can just do it online -- the benefits of LAN would include anything that requires low-latency communication, i.e. seeing other players' cursors in tag games.
at the LAN we wont have internet connection :<
Crakila
I hugely support this.

Clicking mania ^_^
FireballFlame
No support. Considering peppys response I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Blaziken
Osu with LAN... Since everybody would be on the same network.... Nahh...
DerekMcD
If you have GBA/GB, you can play multiplayer in LAN.
laport
lans are big in the netherlands, and so are private lans. (i go to 4 big lans and we make 40 lans just friends at home every year)
It's a lot of fun playing together with speakers, if you are on a good fiber optic connection, and you play 10 maps, both (or more) clients are in good sync.
If you play with a better player you can learn from the sound of hitsounds, bashing of keys and laugh together when someone misses at an easy part because you hear the failsound everyone knows when and where it was.
If you try this on a cable or dsl connection, 8/10 times it's not in sync and so one person is getting only 100's (because: game not in sync: only use speakers of 1 player).
Also, if you go to a big LAN, there's a good chance internet is slow, pings are bad or there's no internet at all.
mm201

litchmore wrote:

Osu with LAN... Since everybody would be on the same network.... Nahh...
Wait what? You bumped a 2 year old thread just to say no thanks?

.____________.
jack980517

peppy wrote:

I know the benefits of having lan support, but it's not a simple move and requires either a local implementation of Bancho, or huge netcode changes.
Is it possible not to do the above 2 things, e.g. just add codes for LAN, or let a computer itself be a server when creating a room, like Counter-Strike?
MillhioreF
peppy could add LAN, but he doesn't want to since osu! is supposed to be a totally online game. LAN support will only happen if Bancho has to shut down for whatever reason.

source: p/1645777
jack980517

MillhioreF wrote:

peppy could add LAN, but he doesn't want to since osu! is supposed to be a totally online game. LAN support will only happen if Bancho has to shut down for whatever reason.

source: p/1645777
Many online games can be played in LAN. I think it's a pity for osu! not to add LAN mode since many people have already promoted that.
Vinc_Angel
I think LAN is good at OSU! games, on beatmaps, it must be a direct beatmap senders between computer. LAN support is usefully if computer doesn't connect to global network and on the tournament event. Just adding LAN mode that doesn't make a lot of code change because we just add LAN code and change the cover code to add an option.
Ayesha Altugle
wow, nice bump!