forum

Faster ways of tapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
totekingsg1
So, after playing osu! for a while now, and reaching 4.5-5 stars songs, i´ve noticed i can´t tap fast enough for some concrete parts of SOME songs. My fingers are strong, but they won´t go faster.

People told me one thing for faster tapping: "forget fingers, fast tapping= wrist"

My question is, what should i do for that? i´ve seen reimu and www "balancing" the hand they use on the keyboard from right to left and vicebersa, quite a estrange move, but it clearly makes them tap fast as hell, but i have no clue what they do nor how to do it.

I know im not any of that players, and I won´t become besttapperEU just by doing it, but i would like to learn the basics and develop it by myself so i can achieve faster tapping.

If someone can post some videos of the technique, or any other technique that explains correctly how to tap using the wrist correctly so the fingers dont get wasted like mines do atm after a long song, that would be great.
Yuudachi-kun
I tense my entire arm and somehow can tap 260. 280 sometimes but no stamina.
bigfeh
It all depends on how fast you can move each part of your body. For most people it's the wrist, but I use mostly the fingers. You could (and should) try the wrist too, but remember that you'll build up speed with whatever method if you play moar (which you'll have to do anyways)
wacats
I just switched from wrist-tapping into finger-tapping few days ago and I see major improvement on my stamina and speed. You could try and see whether which method works the best for you. ;)
Upskirt
I change my hand and finger position based on BPM and stress in the music/beatmap. Overtime after playing higher BPM songs you will get used to the speed.
FieryLight
Throw some wrist motion into but there's no need to abandon your fingers completely. Alternatively, you can alternate (use both z and x). Personally I alternate and I still use the wrist when single tapping.
ZenithPhantasm
My advice: Avoid RSI because it almost never gets better.
Gumpy
Tap slow?
Solution: tap faster.
tokaku
Try relaxing and tapping lighter
HaruryuuSan

tokaku wrote:

Try relaxing and tapping lighter
B1rd
Get a mech keyboard if you haven't already, It made me, and other people I've heard, way faster. Use your wrist, don't worry too much about positioning because that sort of stuff doesn't really matter and just distracts you from tapping fast. Just practice high bpm maps, as fast and you can go, and focus on clicking the circles and don't focus on your hand. And you will get faster.

But I'm also wondering what speed you can tap, because at your rank you don't need to go over 200bpm to get ranks. Aim, accuracy, streaming and reading should be more of a concern that fast singletapping.
Cytoskeleton
Learning how to switch between single-tap and alternating (not just for streams) is a very useful and helpful skill.
Synpoo

B1rd wrote:

Get a mech keyboard if you haven't already, It made me, and other people I've heard, way faster. Use your wrist, don't worry too much about positioning because that sort of stuff doesn't really matter and just distracts you from tapping fast. Just practice high bpm maps, as fast and you can go, and focus on clicking the circles and don't focus on your hand. And you will get faster.

But I'm also wondering what speed you can tap, because at your rank you don't need to go over 200bpm to get ranks. Aim, accuracy, streaming and reading should be more of a concern that fast singletapping.
Position does actually matter (for me anyways). If I position my wrist to the left more than usual and raise my elbow higher, I can tap a lot faster than if I normally positioned my arm, albeit uncomfortable and really tiring to sustain.
Mporiyoki
I'm sorry this may seem ridiculous to some people... im bad at explaining things

How do people play fast in piano? They practice it very slowly at first and then gradually getting faster (but it has to be even). But here's how I play, if you go into edit mode you'd see that songs has its own time signature and once you know that it becomes a lot more easier. Streams should always keep the beat as it is the most important part of the song (like the drums keeping the beat) so what you have to do now is figure out how many notes are in a beat and practice counting the beats out loud along with tapping all the notes evenly. for example The Big Black is in 1/4 and the streams are 5 / 1 (streamed notes / beat )
so you would practice this until its even

each bracket represents a beat (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap)

I personally think that this is a good method overall because music is music and it always has a structure and it's own speed or at least the majority of it, nevertheless you should start counting in your head or even nod your head to the beat, this way, you can keep in time. its not that important to count 1234 1234 but you have to keep in time though
DT-sama

Mporiyoki wrote:

insert actual understanding of how one should approach streams here
I like you.
bigfeh

Mporiyoki wrote:

I'm sorry this may seem ridiculous to some people... im bad at explaining things

How do people play fast in piano? They practice it very slowly at first and then gradually getting faster (but it has to be even). But here's how I play, if you go into edit mode you'd see that songs has its own time signature and once you know that it becomes a lot more easier. Streams should always keep the beat as it is the most important part of the song (like the drums keeping the beat) so what you have to do now is figure out how many notes are in a beat and practice counting the beats out loud along with tapping all the notes evenly. for example The Big Black is in 1/4 and the streams are 5 / 1 (streamed notes / beat )

each bracket represents a beat (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap) (tap tap tap tap tap)

I personally think that this is a good method overall because music is music and it always has a structure and it's own speed or at least the majority of it, nevertheless you should start counting in your head or even nod your head to the beat, this way, you can keep in time. its not that important to count 1234 1234 but you have to keep in time though
Not op's question and I figured I'd make a correction - there are 4 1/4th notes per beat, not 5, for obvious reasons

Other than that, and if we ignore the fact that you completely missed the point here and are off topic, great post
Mporiyoki

bigfeh wrote:

Mporiyoki wrote:

Not op's question and I figured I'd make a correction - there are 4 1/4th notes per beat, not 5, for obvious reasons

Other than that, and if we ignore the fact that you completely missed the point here and are off topic, great post
I said 5 instead of 4? oops, I didn't read my post
Shawntell
///
thr1ve
Find the bpm that you can tap and stream consistently add 10-20 to that, find 3 maps at new bpm. Play each map 2-3 times a day, do not retry, put nofail if needed, play until the end so you can see the score in your local rankings tab, keep track and see if the acc and combo is improving. Do not overdo it. Too much is bad. Stick to it and you will see improvement in few weeks.
Yuudachi-kun
BLENDZIOR

TO CIE CZEKA KURWO
tamura

Gumpyyy wrote:

Tap slow?
Solution: tap faster.
da faen
Celine
necroposting in 2017
Fxjlk

BWSnoob wrote:

necroposting in 2017
Extending the necromancy by making fun of a necropost in 2017.
Fxjlk

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Me being a hypocrite in 2017
ako122

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

M3ATL0V3R wrote:

Me being a hypocrite in 2017

Imagine necroing a 4 year old post LUL

wait a minute..
show more