forum

Is pausing not allowed/okay?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CapnKatarina
I've been playing a lot of 4k lately, and some songs just exhaust my hands quite a bit. Is it ok to pause in the middle of the song and come back in a couple minutes to cool down?
Valedict
Honestly speaking, there's nothing stopping you from pausing on a song that's exhausting to play.

Personally I only take a few seconds to about a minute to let my hands rest for a minute, then resume playing. For what its worth, just try and tough it out; it'll help you build stamina and you'll find it much easier to keep playing without pausing the more you play without doing so.
Bobbias
The only place pausing is discouraged is in the 4k/7k Dans that people have put together. Other than that, pausing is totally fine.

I agree with -Tim- though. It's better to try to improve your stamina. As you begin playing harder and harder stuff, stamina becomes really important.
CephiCC
I've found that when I'm striving for high scores, resting my hands with a pause significantly helps my score. But not how much better I get as a player

Maybe try to avoid pausing as much as you can while playing most maps if you're looking to improve a whole lot. But as a casual player, I find that pausing helps my score, and my enjoyment with harder diffs.
Pinecone
wow you cheaters, pausing is definitely not allowed. stop cheating people
jk i pause all the time
Kamikaze
That's basically expoiting poor game mechanics imo. Nobody's going to hunt you for doing that (most of times pepole don't recognize it on replays) but for your personal good, avoid it by all means
gregest
look at Staiain,look at this report tier AiAe+dt play,he never stopped,you need stamina
Valedict

Hazelnut- wrote:

jk i pause all the time

look at this rapper

look at him and laugh
gregest

-Tim- wrote:

Hazelnut- wrote:

jk i pause all the time

look at this rapper

look at him and laugh
First of all,I'm not your friend so stop lookin' at me
second,I'm not a rapper so stop rapppin' at me
Valedict

CptBlackBird wrote:

OSUMANIA
I PAUSE THAT

STAMINA
I LACK THAT
Jinjin

-Tim- wrote:

CptBlackBird wrote:

OSUMANIA
I PAUSE THAT

STAMINA
I LACK THAT
wow such spoiler memes (pls don't silence me ;-;)

But in all seriousness, there are no rules against pausing, and even in std people like to pause during breaks. It may be unwanted, but so far nothing has been done. I do it sometimes in stamina-demanding mania maps (aiae shd rip)
EtienneXC
Is someone looking for a rapper?

cause it ain't me.

In relation to the topic: while this game allows you to pause, I think the difficulty factor becomes slightly irrelevant then. Considering that's what gives the song's difficulty a little more of a push, pausing in between for stamina purposes defeats one of the reason why the song's hard in the first place, not to mention you're cheating yourself at getting better stamina as well. Learn how to ~beast~ every once in a while.

So imo, I don't really think it's okay. Or there should be a one pause limit at the least.
abraker
Pause if you want to, but that becomes irrelevant if the song has no breaks or a slow part. You would end up missing a bunch of notes for a split second most of the time.
Drace
Hey, if it's in the game it's fair game. A motto I've used for every game I've played.

But like the others said, you'll only be hurting yourself in the long run by avoiding to train that very stamina you're lacking. Also if you plan on playing other games in the future, most of em don't even allow you to pause. Going through without pausing is definitely for your own personal benefit ^^
edisk
Isn't good for training stamina but if your eyes aren't at their best then I guess it's ok? feel free to cheat yourself
Tidek
Well, you will suck in multiplayer games if you are pausing in single player mode, simple.
_smu
dude nice
Staiain
Don't pause and get viking stamina like me 8)
gregest

Staiain wrote:

Don't pause and get viking stamina like me 8)
you are the only one who can do report-tier plays pls