forum

4k tutorial ideas

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EtienneXC
Hello, everyone! Not many of you people know me but I go by Etienne in most cases. I'm a pretty experienced 4k player and I've had an idea for a while to help other people improve/learn 4k better as well. A couple people and I came up with some things to go over but I was wondering what else I can go over to help all of you out and maybe even get you interested in 4k if you already aren't. Here's my list so far: (Keep in mind, I'm demonstrating everything on Stepmania so long notes are not something I can demonstrate: sorry :c.)

What 4k is
4k Games
Hand Posture
Keyboards
Warming up
Length of Sessions
Jacks
Accuracy (MA)
Playstyles
Speed
Patterns
Stamina
Key Setups
Pattern Manipulation
One Hand Trilling
Color/Polyrhythm
Speed Mods/Perspectives
Mindblocks and overcoming them
Gameplay Tweaks
Plateaus

Anything questions you have about this as well, feel free to ask away!
abraker
I am coming up with a tutorial list too that takes a different approach by providing a mapsets for types of maps there are. But if you want my mapsets include the following categories (and sorry if I got the terms wrong):

• - Basics
    Maps used to setup the offset, skin, etc

- Beat Skippers
    Maps that have notes followed by a small break repeatedly

- Beat
    Triple or quadruple note steady beat

- Finger Jackhammer
    Single or double finger jackhammer

- Multi Jackhammer
    3 or 4 finger jackhammer

- Rapids
    Maps that look like 3 star maps on DT. Have normal spaced notes with sudden 1/16 or more.

- Ladder
    Maps with clean ladders

- Ladder Streams
    Maps with ladder + beats

- Beat Streams (lite)
    Maps with up 2 simultaneous ladders

- Streams (heavy)
    Full lane alternation (triple or quadruple ladder)

- SV
    SV heavy maps

- Timing/Accuracy
    Maps that have the SV factor's range high and require to listen for the notes instead by visual cue.

- Stamina
    Maps that are tiring and require high stamina

- ALT Pattern
    Maps with unusual patterns.

I'm not familiar by the terms "Plateaus", and what you mean by "Color/Polyrhythm", but I guess you will explain them in the tutorial eventually. Best of luck!
Bobbias
In stepmania, the different timing divisions are colored differently, so if you have a mix of 1/4 and 1/6 notes (16th and 24th notes using non-osu terms) they would each have a different color.

Plateaus would refer to skill plateaus, also known as skill walls, I'm guessing.
Topic Starter
EtienneXC
Thank you!

And looking at your list, I'm not really up to date on o!m lingo but from your descriptions, I think I can compare them to mine. I'll list the ones I'm not quite familiar with.

-Beat skippers
-Rapids
-Anything ladder-related
-SV

Edit: and yes, Bobbias, you're correct!
Bobbias
SV = Slider Velocity (term from Osu! standard). When applied to mania, it causes speed changes without changing the base BPM value when you map.

"Rapids" would refer to bursts, and I've got no idea what Beat Skippers are supposed to be.

Ladders likely refers to what are usually called stairs here. In stepmania I guess they'd be called rolls (been a LONG time since I played SM).
Topic Starter
EtienneXC
Rolls are usually either 1234, 4321, 1423, 1324, 4132, or 4231. Stairs are just 1234321
abraker
Bobbias got all of them correct. And for the last one:

-Beat skippers: Have notes followed be a short break repeatedly usually to a jumping beat. Maps like NM feat.Heather Elmer - Closer to my Heart or Soleily - Violet Soul are good examples. Really throws you off if you expect the notes to be equally spaced.
Bobbias

StaiainFangirl wrote:

Rolls are usually either 1234, 4321, 1423, 1324, 4132, or 4231. Stairs are just 1234321
I mainly play 7k here, so to me stairs refers to any sort of pattern like 1234, 2345, etc. so it pretty much covers both rolls and stairs I guess. I last seriously played SM like... 7ish years ago or something.
Silver Sky
I want to ask how to play pattern like aiae shd, I mean it's like combination of jack and streams and I can't read it. Also I've downloaded a lot of stepmania converts, mostly golgo13 and nuclear blast pack. So you can give me a recommendation to train those pattern in those packs :)

And also haelequin's and verse IV's burst. I can't read it @_@
ggsnipess

Silver Sky wrote:

I want to ask how to play pattern like aiae shd, I mean it's like combination of jack and streams and I can't read it. Also I've downloaded a lot of stepmania converts, mostly golgo13 and nuclear blast pack. So you can give me a recommendation to train those pattern in those packs :)

And also haelequin's and verse IV's burst. I can't read it @_@
bursts are really sometimes unreadable and just end up mashing through it, though try picking up your speed in some charts, might be able to help with clearing aiae shd