forum

how popular wil osu get :)

posted
Total Posts
show more
deletemyaccount
osu! is somewhat of a niche kind of game (nippon music, skill ceiling, etc); niche things almost never become mainstream (esp. with the anti-chinese cartoons senrtiment in western countries).

With the prescence of many people from western countries being interested in asian culture and rhythm games, osu! will definitely grow very large; but mainstream? I really don't think so. Theres a reason why the highest amount of osu! players are either from asia or NA.

Another trend I've discovered recently is that many new players are younger than 15; this probably coinciding with younger weeaboos (I really don't see your average western call of duty kid seeing the appeal in osu!).

As for what growth will bring osu!, it is most likely for the better; more supporters=peppy being able to continue developing the game. As for the "quality" of the community, you can't really say that it will worsen because with an equal amount of bad people is also an equal amount of good people.

tl;dr weeaboos
Topic Starter
Arcane

CuboidBeats wrote:

Parasyche wrote:

To be honest, I really don't want it to become TOO big. Then you'd get all the little children on here.
Yeah, I agree. It happened to Minecraft, where everything essentially became overpopulated. It used to be fun, but now you have so many immature kids typing "get rekt" after every kill they get.
haha lol true XD
Nakano Itsuki
Throwing my thoughts on here.

Basically people who are saying that osu will be filled with too many kids.. don't even remember that around 60-70% of the pros aren't even of 25 and older.
Even the top players are students. Therefore this statement is invalid. The thing is "immaturity" which I think pretty much most large communities will have some. I won't call osu a huge community, but since this game is pretty competitive and the pros are pretty unhuman, it is not surprising to see people spamming phrases like "wtf", "not even fc" in chats. It's just natural for a game that difficult. (Unlike games like Starcraft, where everything depends on skill and strategy, this is basically a game of talent.)

And as for copyright, I recall that a feature might get implemented in the future, that users have to import their own mp3's in order to play a beatmap, and only files such as .osu(beatmap file), .osb(storyboard), hitsounds etc will be available for download. I personally think it is quite good in this way, as people will have to get a legitimate copy of a song (or even crop songs out of videos, whatever), and therefore avoid issues with copyright if osu is to become bigger, since the songs aren't in the downloads. I don't know if this will ever be implemented, but I think it's a good idea that should be added.

I see that osu streams are mentioned as well - as much as I want to argue that osu streams can be exciting to watch when paired with a handcam (possibly?) I have to agree it doesn't really appeal to random stream passer-bys. Probably the best way to advertise is still through videos and word of mouth.

I really hope for osu to grow big though.
But I think the osu team needs to get bigger though, to do things like fulfilling some popular requests, such as graveyard maps' leaderboard, and make it a good way to show outsiders that apart from user-generated content, the creators will offer new content based on the community's wishes, and attract more people to join the game for the awesome staff the game has.
Necturion

StarrStyx wrote:

Basically people who are saying that osu will be filled with too many kids.. don't even remember that around 60-70% of the pros aren't even of 25 and older.
Even the top players are students. Therefore this statement is invalid. The thing is "immaturity" which I think pretty much most large communities will have some. I won't call osu a huge community, but since this game is pretty competitive and the pros are pretty unhuman, it is not surprising to see people spamming phrases like "wtf", "not even fc" in chats. It's just natural for a game that difficult. (Unlike games like Starcraft, where everything depends on skill and strategy, this is basically a game of talent.)
They might be young, but they neither are nor act like 12 year olds
Zuikaku
Hope that it becomes even more popular than it currently is.
The game could do with larger funds and a larger player base (although it feels sad when things change :| )
MikiMushi
Not sure though but I think it would be the same ranking like in o2jam my opinon though
Mafuuu
That'd be nice, but then again does it really matter? Most of us play single anyway. You really want #osu to be a hangout for little kids in exchange for popularity like every other game?
Kouya-
Well, as we see osu! growing larger everyday. . .there's more competition. . .meaning I have to actually get my ass off the couch and do some freaking PP farming shiet .
Love Me
PP farm is life
Hikona
Precision is Perfect ♥
Keihyan
I hope some popular youtube guy will introduce this game...
pandaBee

Mafuuu wrote:

You really want #osu to be a hangout for little kids
That's pretty much what it is now
:^)
Yuudachi-kun

pandaBee wrote:

Mafuuu wrote:

You really want #osu to be a hangout for little kids
That's pretty much what it is now
:^)
I have closed #osu everytime I start the client everyday for months now. It's really bad.
-sev

Kheldragar wrote:

I have closed #osu everytime I start the client everyday for months now.
I do that too.
silmarilen
if i dont close #osu i sometimes get random hls from it by people who speak an other language than english using a word in my hl list that apparently means something in their language. (or an occasional /np)
trebby

Kei1koh2 wrote:

Plz no.
With no prior experience with the game, they'd be shit at it, and because osu is all about developing your own skills, a let's play would be impossible. Nobody wants to watch a youtuber fail daily until he aquires some skill, it's boring.
Keihyan

CuboidBeats wrote:

Kei1koh2 wrote:

Plz no.
With no prior experience with the game, they'd be shit at it, and because osu is all about developing your own skills, a let's play would be impossible. Nobody wants to watch a youtuber fail daily until he aquires some skill, it's boring.
maybe your idea is right,but I think some of them will interested in osu
Ziassan
Osu! is actually quite popular, if you add all the "active users" in the country ranking you get around 3 638 000+ active players on osu! (even if a part probably plays like once a week).

But many things do that it's hard for it to be really "mainstream", like the copyright issue, the fact that people feel that good players only use tablet and that they don't want/can't afford that, the fact that it's not something incredibly fun to stream or comment (the comments of OWC weren't bad but that's nearly the most you can do, the guys were good). It's of course a lovely game but some things keep it away from being /that/ popular.

And the insane amount of jpop/anime songs, it limits the audience to a certain part.
Lagel

CuboidBeats wrote:

Kei1koh2 wrote:

Plz no.
Ehem MaxMoeFoe
Szymek
Osu! is already a popular game, but due to some songs can get copyrighted.
trebby

Lagel wrote:

CuboidBeats wrote:

Plz no.
Ehem MaxMoeFoe
He only made one video on the game, and he absolutely failed at it. It's just not the right game to let's play.
Friendan
well if osu! got popular then 2014 mapping would become popular and every song would be in English, so basically Kuba Oms tier maps as the most played beatmap
The Gambler
Well, expect more osu players soon, as my school's gaming club is holding some local tournament (students only). I contributed to the prize pool by giving out a Zowie FK2 fresh from the box; I was originally gonna host it but dropped due to exam schedule.
Szymek
We have so many users on Osu its great :)
Shiyzo
Yup, game is well organized and its company is nice. Updates are always there, which is good, a lot of players play it and it should be just fine. Good luck to peppy!
LeStalker
It'd probably be 2x more popular than before in 2019.
But with some updates, for example, the coins before, not sure many people would like it.
Depends on peppy.
and the users
ofc
DeletedUser_3905941
Assuming osu! will survive through dmca requests and copyright issues, it will probably grow into something huge, but also shit.
The community will more likely get more toxic, the game will probably be played by all of the never ending hilarious YouTubers, and the game may become so popular that peppy will be recognized and probably signed off to work for a major games company.
LukaXGAMErs
Yes, I think peppy will get popular. But what is dmca? I think I read that before...
Friendan
copyright
LukaXGAMErs
Ohh.. *_*
The Gambler
Mods will have a nightmare should the community grow due to mainstream gamers.
AutoMedic
Fame doesn't make a game good. The worst might happen and it can backfire. Look at dota

I hope we stay as this and not as "1,000,000 people peak login" because if we do, shit happens not only in the community, but this innocent game of ours will be flooded with 9 year olds who wanna play COD for living

Not being pessimistic with popularity but then again, it will backfire for sure.
The Gambler

AutoMedic wrote:

Fame doesn't make a game good. The worst might happen and it can backfire. Look at dota

I hope we stay as this and not as "1,000,000 people peak login" because if we do, shit happens not only in the community, but this innocent game of ours will be flooded with 9 year olds who wanna play COD for living

Not being pessimistic with popularity but then again, it will backfire for sure.
Peppy should monetize this shit, as there are 9 year olds begging their parents to pay for games anyway.

Peppy can deal with popularity by making it a paid service. Again with LoL and WoW, those are free-to-play games as well (lest you spend on mods and shit). If osu! does become a pay-to-play game, there's less incentives for kids to spam as it is money wasted. Again that would also correspond to a decrease in the fanbase as well. #RIPpeppyjet
Asephaya
Honestly the current state of osu! is already good enough for me. I think how its pretty much ran by the community in terms of beatmaps and forums while still having mods looking over is awesome.

Having all those mainstream gamers from famous toxic games might just ruin the whole community and tarnish the game's reputation. From my point of view, osu! isn't so toxic to the point that the people that heard of the game will immediately say "oh that game with the super toxic community". Look at League of Legends for a great example.

I'm content with the way it is now. :)
Railey2
I don't find the osu-community to be particularly more toxic than the community of the other games that I've played, given its demographics.

In fact, I see fewer raging/obnoxious people here than in most games, which is probably because this game is in essence a single player game. People can't direct their anger at anyone other than themselves without feeling at least a little bit stupid.

I don't think that making this game really popular would change much in terms of reputation or general tone.
It'd probably just get more crowded without affecting the communities quality much towards the negative.
Novalogic
Recent livestreams by Cookiezi and Reimu brought osu! to the list of top 10 games on twitch, in terms of number of viewers. If this starts to occur more often, then more people will take notice of osu!.
Liiraye

FlakeeZ wrote:

Honestly the current state of osu! is already good enough for me. I think how its pretty much ran by the community in terms of beatmaps and forums while still having mods looking over is awesome.

Having all those mainstream gamers from famous toxic games might just ruin the whole community and tarnish the game's reputation. From my point of view, osu! isn't so toxic to the point that the people that heard of the game will immediately say "oh that game with the super toxic community". Look at League of Legends for a great example.

I'm content with the way it is now. :)
Please, that time has already come. I guesstimate 60% of osu's userbase are former LoL players. The cancer has already reached all vital organs of this game. I remember people saying the exact same thing when there were less than 2 million users. Then bam, in a couple years userbase got increased 300%+
Aurani
The community might not be toxic, but it's full of children - shallow, ill-mannered and imbecilic ones at that. I'd rather have an immature, yet intelligent asshole kid, than a bunch of kids with half their brain missing, kissing each other's arses virtually because they're being bullied IRL and their parents can't stand their existence, so much so that they don't give two fucks about neither them nor their behaviour.

Also, generalising the LoL community is not all that logical. Osu has only one forum, whilst LoL has one for each region.

P.S. If you change your avatar or your username, I might just come to Sweden and suffocate you in your sleep. :p
HeatKai
Well the current total of players are fine but if osu! still have a chance to growth, why not.
osu! getting popular is not a problem, osu! getting a shitty player(scumbag) is a problem.

Copyright is another problem in the game but right now, it still works fine for most of it. Just keep it update and hope for the best in future.
Stop listing all the bad things, try to find some good ones and enjoy the game. ;)

p/s: what I mean by shitty player is not noob player. just immature player. you get it right
Liiraye

Aurani wrote:

The community might not be toxic, but it's full of children - shallow, ill-mannered and imbecilic ones at that. I'd rather have an immature, yet intelligent asshole kid, than a bunch of kids with half their brain missing, kissing each other's arses virtually because they're being bullied IRL and their parents can't stand their existence, so much so that they don't give two fucks about neither them nor their behaviour.

Also, generalising the LoL community is not all that logical. Osu has only one forum, whilst LoL has one for each region.

P.S. If you change your avatar or your username, I might just come to Sweden and suffocate you in your sleep. :p

Isn't that osu community in a nutshell?

I was just thinking about changing my username but couldn't think of anything good. Whats so good about it anyway? :/
show more