forum

how popular wil osu get :)

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
Assuming wangs and dongs, osu! will eat chips and drink apple juice. Unless of course Bobby Right shows up to ruin the day by talking to Darth Vader.

Don't mind those kiddies and theri dirt racers. Let them have their fun in the sun.

tldr: this thread is so silly.
IppE
You're pretty silly too :3c
Railey2
I have a problem with people that call threads silly and then leave without any meaningful contribution.

Remember, you are part of the thread. And you can make (well, almost) any topic interesting when you choose to think only a minute about what you write beforehand.

If you think that a thread is silly, its probably just because you either lack the intelligence to make it not silly, or because you didn't bother to make it smart with your contribution.
In the first case you should stop being condescending because you are just making a fool out of yourself.
In the second case, I wonder why you are even here. Just get out and stop wasting my time.

(doesn't apply to blatant troll threads, but you get what I mean)
Granger

Railey2 wrote:

In the first case you should stop being condescending because you are just making a fool out of yourself.
In the second case, I wonder why you are even here. Just get out and stop wasting my time.
This is peppy, just forget it... >_> He does whatever he wants and gives not a single fuck weter its apporiate or what people might think, hell, he posted that whole people are no longer human if they want to be reffered to with their preffered pronoun in modhelp. Randomly, without any appartent reason.
You're wasting less time with just thinking "He did it again" over posting a rant regarding his behaviour.
-sev
He's right you know.
Rilene
From what I see, looks like osu will have a slower player growth (also slows the growing of toxic communities), many people don't find fun from rhythm game genres, in fast, my school is flooded with DOTA II and CS:GO players, out of x>500 peoples (grade 7 - 12), about 5 people there plays osu, but turns out I'm the only active player, with 2 players visiting a game hour a week and there is alot hype about DOTA II in my school, trading hero sets for real money or some stuffs, betting who will win and go to internet cafe together just to play DOTA II.

And since osu! isn't a "lets play" game like other players mention here...
So... New players won't likely to survive the easy difficulty (instead of choosing beginner diffs which is alot easier) and quit first.

And also because of base of everything here, because it is a japan rhythm game with half of every beatmap which is anime song realted, these will likely to ward anti-weeaboo peoples away (its true), even the song just have a anime background, some will just think the game is a hentai rhythm game.

So summary... The growth will be slow compared to many games out there due to what's inside osu, which is just average but some people out there think it negatively.
Railey2

Granger wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

This is peppy, just forget it... >_> He does whatever he wants and gives not a single fuck whether its appropriate or what people might think, hell, he posted that whole people are no longer human if they want to be referred to with their preferred pronoun in modhelp. Randomly, without any apparent reason.
You're wasting less time with just thinking "He did it again" over posting a rant regarding his behavior.
I am pretty sure that he wasn't being serious with the pronoun thing. Looked like he exaggerated his irritation about gender-friendly language taken to an extreme. If I understood that correctly, then I actually agree with him in this point. It's very ridiculous.

Other than that.. if people write comments that I don't like, I generally try to call them out on that. The same way, I will compliment or celebrate their comments when I think that they are well thought-out or insightful. Either gives me room to think about why I do or do not agree with what they say and think, so I personally benefit from it too.

I don't actually expect him to make a 180 turn and become the best and most humble person ever. For the most part, I just don't like seeing a comment like his standing alone by themselves without getting criticized for what they are: unnecessary, unhelpful and uninteresting.
B1rd
No one is making a fool out of themselves but you for going on a big rant about a silly comment. Which was the most interesting post in this otherwise boring thread.

Be glad peppy graced us with his presence.
drum drum
man it sure is nice outside
time to stop
peppy
Hey, no need to lock. I was just saying this is silly.
IppE
You're still the biggest silly (:
Railey2
appreciated.

growth
To come back to the topic, most games userbases grow exponentially until some sort of limit is reached. The exponential growth comes through the game being recommended through users, which attracts more users. Recommendations can be direct ("hey man, check out this game"), or indirect (putting videos up on YT, or drawing more traffic to the site thanks to search-engines favoring highly frequented sites over lower frequented ones).
So this is the one factor that changes progressively with the rise of the userbase.
These effects will keep snowballing until the target-group got exhausted.

decline
The decline of userbases is also pretty interesting. Every userbase has a Half-life. Osu's userbase has a particularly high one, because in the early stages of playing, every user will experience quite a lot of frustration (being a noob sucks). And compared to other games, its not easy at all to get halfway decent plays in this game. The Half-life is therefore heavily skewed by all the people that quit within the first week or day of playing.

I don't have the feeling that osu hit it's limit as of yet. I think its actually far from it. And who knows whats possible if it moves away from the anime-theme and targets 12 year old one direction fans instead. It might just explode or something.
Aurani
THANK GODS that even peppy decided that the kid has a few uncle issues in regard to locking threads seemingly on a whim.

I definitely agree with Railey here, though. Osu is far, far from hitting the cap - it's only begun to exploit marketing tricks and media as a way to draw more people in. This is nothing compared to what it could be.
Railey2
If osu solely sticks to the anime-theme, it's potential is almost wasted compared to what it could be.
Promoting music of different kinds is absolutely essential for osu to continue growing. Sticking to the standard generic 1:20 long anime-opening is not beneficial, because it caps off the target-group a lot. Promoting different kinds of music will push the limit further away from where we are.

this has been a step in the right direction. What osu needs, is a set of easily accessible beatmap-packs, preferably organized by musical genre, to keep newbies from running away too fast. Maybe an ingame-notification, that sends them directly to a place where they can pick out their favorite kind of music, would do the trick.

More organization and less of this mess: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist
Liiraye
The thing is that peppy has said, even on his panel IIRC, that he doesn't want osu to grow much more. I think marketing osu or ideas to bring more players in is among the least of his concerns.
Aurani
Nonsense. Popularity means income, and income means being able to afford a mansion, rather than living in a 20 square metre apartment with 2 cats.

Point is, peppy, like every human, craves money - nothing can take that desire away, and it just so happens that reeling 20 million people in pays off much better than 5 million.
Liiraye
Humans don't crave money by nature, but the things and experiences money enables them to get. Pepsi has something he enjoys doing and gets around doing it, so there isn't really an incentive to whore himself for more dollars.

I did sense sarcasm but that second paragraph made me confused...
Railey2

Liiraye wrote:

The thing is that peppy has said, even on his panel IIRC, that he doesn't want osu to grow much more. I think marketing osu or ideas to bring more players in is among the least of his concerns.
in a sense that he's content, or in a sense that he'd take measures to stop osu from growing further? I can sort of understand the first one, even if it isn't what I'd want. But the second seems off to me.
Vuelo Eluko
We reached the point where it was too popular for its own good when konami dropped a turd on peppy's desk. He would have been satisfied with the playerbase being smaller and regular like it was back then because he was still getting enough money to make it worthwhile as a business venture but without the bullshit that comes with growing: remember, Peppy is ONE man, not a corporation. More work for him comes as osu! grows, and just because he's getting more money, doesn't mean he needs or wants it, he doesn't have shareholders that need to have their scrotums massaged constantly by seeing their stock value rise.

i'm sure peppy, as he is right now as a person, would not be willing to sell osu! to a corporate entity, but if the pressure builds enough from the growth of the game, and said corporation has more capital and manpower with which to run the game, he may be a very different person and more willing to cave to a large sum of money so he can just hand it off and live happily without it.

I believe osu! would take a sharp turn if this happened, most likely for the worst.

My personal hope is that this doesn't happen, and Peppy continues down the path he is now, fixing problems that have been there from the beginning very recently it seems, it really feels to me like hes preparing to make the game open source, which would be an amazing outcome.

Peppy, is it true? Is this your master plan?
Railey2
you do have a point with Konami