forum

Nekofrog, Sole Signal - Malevolent Mansion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
r a d o n
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 13. januar 2016 at 16:22:20

Artist: Nekofrog, Sole Signal
Title: Malevolent Mansion
Source: banjo-kazooie
BPM: 170
Filesize: 5743kb
Play Time: 04:35
Difficulties Available:
  1. Extra (5,65 stars, 697 notes)
  2. ExtraFun (5,69 stars, 671 notes)
  3. Malevolent (5,31 stars, 670 notes)
  4. Normal (2,25 stars, 25 notes)
Download: Nekofrog, Sole Signal - Malevolent Mansion
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
:3:3
Hammish
I tried looking it over through the Extra difficulty in the editor and I tried playing it at half speed to get a feel for it.

First thing is looking at AIMod reveals a few errors and problems:

- These two objects are less than 10ms apart! 00:24:352
You should fix this, either the notes aren't timed properly to the music or these two notes are happening at the same time.

- More than 1/3 of the map is kiai time. Consider reducing this.
- Kiai time is toggled on for less than 15 seconds.
You should be careful when using Kiai time. Usually Kiai time is used for the 'strongest' part of the song, and it should be used sparingly or else the emphasis will get lost if many parts of the map are in Kiai time. Also, it's important because Kiai time acts as a score multiplier in Taiko mode, affecting the gameplay of the map.

- Title conflicts with banjo diff.
Make sure the titles are the same across all difficulties. Also try to keep the title free of any addition like (TV SIZE), [My Edit], Etc. unless it is written like that in the first place. If the song comes from a movie, or a game, or an anime, use the Source section in the Song Information page, not the title. Although it might just be a mistake since Banjo-Kazooie is already in there.

- This mapset needs at least 1 Easy/Normal diff.
I don't know if you were planning on making an Easy or Normal diff. for this map but if you want a map to be ranked then you need at least one of these. That way people of different skill levels can try out your awesome maps, and it's needed for getting ranked.

Alright, now for some observations

[Extra]

00:08:470 (1,2,3,4,5) - I like this pattern :)

00:19:764 (1,2,3,4,5) - I feel like this pattern is really confusing and it kept throwing me off. Maybe you could change it so the player can do a zigzag motion across the pattern instead of having to sharply jump back twice? Maybe get rid of the middle slider? I dunno just some ideas

00:56:470 (1) - This spinner goes well with the music

00:55:235 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Another cool pattern

00:59:294 (1,2,3,4) - Sliders. These were pretty difficult. They are completely uinpredictable in how they look or where they are supposed to be.

04:31:058 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) - Very cool pattern! It's a rotating Triangle, that's sick!

General notes:
I think you did a good job of capturing the rhythm of the song, which is important to making a good map. I feel like there are way too many overlapping notes, especially with such a fast approach rate, unless they're part of a pattern I would try to avoid it, it looks messy. Also, keep working on the sliders! I'm pretty new to beatmapping myself so I know that fiddling around with those control points isn't fun, but if you work on it, you can make some pretty and rhythmical sliders. You had some good beat blankets though :) . I feel like you need to organize the patterns a bit more. There were many parts where I got tripped up by the patterns, maybe I'm just not good at higher difficulties but there were times where I noticed hitnotes a second too late or the overlap of notes starting making things hard to follow. I will say that the streams do look good and are fun to hit!

Also, this beatmap is very long Generally a beatmap should be under 3 minutes. On my last beatmap my song was orginally about 4 minutes long but I edited the song so that It faded out after the second chorus. and it made it around 2:20, which helped me focus more of my attention on the rest of the song instead of speading myself thing across the whole song.

This isn't a bad beatmap, the song is pretty fun actually and just listening to it through the editor sounds alright. I just think some more consideration is going to be needed in flow, patterns, and slider design. I hope I could be of some help!
Topic Starter
r a d o n
Hi :D
I'm sorry that i haven't replied earlier. I am still kinda new to all of this :roll:

Thanks a lot for testing my map and I'm really glad that you like the patterns and rhythm!

In the past 7 day I've recreated the Extra diff, and its now shorter!
I also re-used some of the cool patterns and tried to be a little more inventive when it comes to the kiai parts.
About the other diff, I've just called [insaney] for now.

Once again thanks man! i hope you want to try the new version 8-)