forum

[WIP] Alternative Mania Style

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Hi there, i began a new project to add some kind of... new play experience to mania.
I made a program in C++ that can convert any 4k mania song into this playstyle.
Here is a video showing the gameplay:

So... how does this work?
The Program actually just creates a storyboard based on the placed Hitobjects on a beatmap.
This only works together with a certain skin, that i uploaded here, the skin makes most of the skin Elements invisible, so you only see your 4 Circles (Keys) and u aim by the storyboard.

Settings:
• First u have to use the "Mania *SB* Skin.
• Then Make sure u have "Storyboards" activated and set your Background Dim to 0.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Downloads

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skins

Most resolutions act different on the key positions on this project. so you should pick a skin based on your usual resolution. These skins may also work for higher resolutions, but i can't check it due to my Monitor.

Standard

"Mania SB STD" Skin
This skin will work on all Standard resolutions.

Widescreen

"Mania SB Wide 1" Skin
This works for 1440 x 900 and 1280 x 800.

"Mania SB Wide 2" Skin
This skin works for the Resolutions: 1366 x 768, 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Beatmaps

Link to All Beatmaps

Pixel - Mimiga Town
Easy *SB* 0.78 Stars
IamBaum

S3RL - MTC (Nightcore Remix)
EZ *SB* 1.05 Stars
Combinatorix

Risk Junk - Candy Galy
Ishi's 4k EZ *SB* 1.17 Stars
Staiain

Otokaze - amamichi
4K Normal *SB* 1.17 Stars
Simple_Star

REDALICE - Acceleration
EZ *SB* 1.19 Stars
[ M o m o ]

Earbreaker & eszett - Fentanest
4K NM Style [Lv.4] *SB* 1.29 Stars
Drace

Waterflame - Glorious Morning
4K Easy *SB* 1.34 Stars
-Mat-

wowaka -Uraomote Lovers
EZ *SB* 1.42 Stars
Juankristal

Natsume Chiako - Hinairo Biyori
EZ *SB* 1.47 Stars
Kagu-chanl

ZUN - The Road of the Apotropaic God ~ Dark Road
EZ *SB* 1.53 Stars
[ M o m o ]

Falulu Bokerdole - Falulu's Debut
EZ *SB* 1.55 Stars
IamBam

ikaruga_nex - gigadelic
DC's BASIC Lv.5 *SB* 1.56 Stars
Starry-

Kano - Ghost
4K Normal *SB* 1.57 Stars
__M A S__

Renard - SINISTERRRRRRRR
Hard *SB* 1.87 Stars
Lno

Ellen Mclain - Still Alive
NM *SB* 1.88 Stars
IamBaum

ZUN - Demystify Feast
NM *SB* 1.88 Stars
SM Convert

Ni Sokkususu - Blade Dance
Apple's EZ *SB* 1.90 Stars
Feerum

Brandy - The Festival of Ghost 2
Puxtu's NM *SB* 1.94 Stars
IamBaum

Toromaru - Hustle Beat!!
NOVICE Lv.9 *SB* 1.98 Stars
Starry-

ZUN - Pure in Asia
NM *SB* 2.11 Stars
IamBaum

Cornandbeans - Midnight
Yuno's 4k Normal *SB* 2.39 Stars
[ M o m o ]

8284 vs. wa - Adularescence
HD *SB* 3.10 Stars
[ M o m o ]

Hate vs Brilliance - Quark
Easy *SB* 5.08 Stars
Aqo

Adding Songs:
Adding songs to this list is just very little amount of work for me, so i accept every song request.
Everybody is free to request songs, the only requirements are:
•The beatmap is a mania 4k map.
•You have to be the mapper yourself, or u have asked the mapper for permission to request his song.

I will always add a *SB* behind your difficulty, so that u can still keep the original version (If u have the original beatmap) and that u can easily determine which songs work for this beatmap style.
*SB* stands for "storyboarded"
And i might also dimm some of the backgrounds :)

Thanks to everyone who let me use their maps.
A special thanks to [ M o m o ] who created diffs especially for this project.
And another thanks to Xiao, who let me use/alter his Nexus skin Cursor to create my keys/notes.
stankill
Awesome !
lenpai
Very creative!
This would be very confusing though even for maps only 2 stars in diff.
Still looks fun.
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Thx.
And yep it's pretty confusing, i'll also add more 1.00 star maps, so that there are more maps to get used to it.
juankristal
Baum, the god of creative style
Topic Starter
IamBaum
xDD thx
Gamer2u4
Jeah Baum you are realy one of the best Player/Creator of osu :) :!:
Bobbias
Cool idea, but I really dislike how each receptor has 2 possible directions that a note can come from. It makes reading things much more difficult than it needs to be.
6GoodNight9
This is so next level for me.
btw nice skin.
Mat
dude this is awesome! soo fun to try 4k in such a different way! i love it :D
juankristal
Mi brain is exploding, halp
ovnz

Bobbias wrote:

Cool idea, but I really dislike how each receptor has 2 possible directions that a note can come from. It makes reading things much more difficult than it needs to be.
I don't think there would be that much of a difference between "normal mania" and this if there wasn't two possible directions, it would just look differently but the gameplay would really feel the same way imo
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Thanks for your kind words.
But yep i agree that it's way more difficult with 2 possible directions for each receptor and that this is actually kind of... inefficient.
But the base idea was to make it more complicated and more difficult to play than it usually is, so i wouldn't see that as a negative aspect. :)
Reiko
you could als do | from bottom and top instead of /and \ c:
ikzune
time to page smoogi about if he can add this as a mod for osumania~~
Rori Vidi Veni
ggggggggggggggggwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Topic Starter
IamBaum

laishiou wrote:

time to page smoogi about if he can add this as a mod for osumania~~
THat would be pretty cool, but i don't have high hopes for it :D

Rori Vidi Veni wrote:

So osu!mania meets Project Diva?

I can't think of a good name combining the two, so let's call it "Baumstyle".
To he honest, i just couldn't find a good name myself either xD
But if some1 has a good idea, i'm open for any suggestions
[Superstar]_old
This is amazing. Well done.
Topic Starter
IamBaum
*Update*
I found a solution for the resolution problem. I added more skins to choose them based on your resolution.
(Btw i will only post updates for major things like this, i will also frequently add songs without any update notifications.)
Topic Starter
IamBaum
*Next Update*
• I overworked the position rotation of the notes. They are less random now, the same colours will always change from top to bottom to top etc. (They will only keep on the same direction, if u have to press the same key again as the next note.)
• It's no longer necessary to change to the Beta or Cutting edge Version, fully invisible skins has been implemented to the stable version.
•Colour positions have been changed from [Yellow|Green|Pink|Red] to [Pink|Yellow|Green|Red].
•All skins and Beatmaps have been reworked and re-uploaded to match the changes.

You will have to redownload all skins and Beatmaps for the recent changes.
Aqo
Any chance of seeing this for other key modes as well?

I love how the notes come from multiple directions, why are you toning it down, make it more hectic!!
Topic Starter
IamBaum

Aqo wrote:

Any chance of seeing this for other key modes as well?

I love how the notes come from multiple directions, wanted something like this for a long time. this is great gj /w/
first of all... thx :)

I guess it's possible to add that in the future, but i wanna get a decent amount of maps for 4k first. It takes some time to get into contact with all the mappers and ask for their permission to add their songs, therefore i'd be grateful for any help and volunteers. ^^

I think 7k would already be a little problematic, the reading would be really hard for 14 directions and it will consume a larger amount of space, so u have less time to react to the notes from the left/right side but it's not out of the question.
Rido
cool! :3
ovnz
Well, you could also say that normal 7k would be a little problematic because it's harder to read 7 columns than 4 hue
Topic Starter
IamBaum

Ovnize wrote:

Well, you could also say that normal 7k would be a little problematic because it's harder to read 7 columns than 4 hue
Well that is true, although i think it will be really crazy in this gameplay style,
But well maybe it's actually less crazy than i think right now. :D
ovnz
There's always some people to play crazy stuff you know :3
Aqo

IamBaum wrote:

I think 7k would already be a little problematic, the reading would be really hard for 14 directions and it will consume a larger amount of space, so u have less time to react to the notes from the left/right side but it's not out of the question.
mania players are crazy, don't underestimate their abilities.

I made a 4K chart in 15 minutes, can you convert this to osu!diva please Baum? http://puu.sh/gtPiR/7696c2b80c.osz
lenpai

Aqo wrote:

Topic Starter
IamBaum

Aqo wrote:

I made a 4K chart in 15 minutes, can you convert this to osu!diva please Baum? http://puu.sh/gtPiR/7696c2b80c.osz
You are right sry :(

And Sure i added your Easy diff, thanks for requesting.
I Wonder who's the first to pass it in this mode ^^
DJPop
Really remind me of this

Elementaires
looks like reflec beat
Topic Starter
IamBaum

DJPop wrote:

Really remind me of this

Ahh there is arleady a mode like this, and it's not just close it's almost exactly the same xD
Nice thanks for finding this DJPop, does any1 know on which game it was made?
I'm not quite sure if this was some kind of mod like i did, or a whole game based on this system.
I'd like to mention this in the main post, if i can find out more about that vid.

I kinda thought that i had already seen something like this a about a year ago, but i just couldn't find it the whole time... all i could remember was that there was a game somewhere, that also has notes from several directions, but i didn't think it was the same what i did xD

Elementaires wrote:

looks like reflec beat
It really seems to be kind of similiar, after all this is the 4th time i hear that now ^^
Bobbias
A bit of googling led me here: http://fevermix.voomga.com/. Judging by the video, the game seems to have multiple game modes, with one of them being pretty much the same as what you've made here.

The text in DJPop's video showed some of the UI in thai, so I'd assume that there are probably multiple server for this game.
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Thanks alot Bobbias.
It seems that this mode is called Lovey Journey, even though the description in DJPop's vid said Lovely Bubble.
Then i'll maybe name this in mania... omj for osu mania journey, although i'm not quite sure about it yet :D
abraker
Very inventive I, should say. I am amazed someone came with away to have other modes in osu by using existing modes. Now if only C!B would allow to move up and down, we can finally have a somewhat working Touhou mode.

Also how did you manage to remove the hidden mods?
Topic Starter
IamBaum

abraker wrote:

Very inventive I, should say. I am amazed someone came with away to have other modes in osu by using existing modes. Now if only C!B would allow to move up and down, we can finally have a somewhat working Touhou mode.

Also how did you manage to remove the hidden mods?
Yep it would be pretty cool if we had an "up and down" movement to create the touhou mode :)

I added empty image files into the skin and used them as the images for HD/FL/FI/Random/coop, therefore these mods are invisible (and u can't even click them).
The reason was that these modes don't work correctly on this gameplay style, so i removed them
ikzune
although it may not be that far in yet, peppy has already been designing a tohosu game mode
abraker

laishiou wrote:

although it may not be that far in yet, peppy has already been designing a tohosu game mode
I know, and has been in the dev stages for years. Hence, my mention of it.

ON TOPIC NOW....
show more