forum

3 -> 4 Star maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
draco16_old
I've been playing for awhile now and still love this game to death but I'm having trouble getting past 3 stars Most 3 star songs range from easy to managable for me yet any 3.5 or 4 star songs are simply O_O. Most of them say they are only half a star higher yet they are 3x faster, have significantly harsher drains, and for some reason most 4 star songs seem to love avoiding the main beat of songs and insist on making nearly every beat an off beat (which is extremely annoying to listen to).

Am I just lacking discipline here or are 4 star songs really just a whole new ballgame?!
Yuudachi-kun
How to improve: Fc maps at X difficulty (Get an S eith no slider breaks). Increase diff.

Then increase difficulty again and repeat.

Try 3.00 star maps for fc and gradually go up as you stop gaining so many ranks.
Saphirshroom
Focus on accuracy aand not missing on 3 star maps instead. 3 stars are not "easy" for you, you haven't even fc'ed any. I don't remember any 4 star maps not following the beat, that's probably just you hitting the notes too late or early.
silmarilen
there is a whole range of maps between 3 stars and 3.5 stars, have you tried those?
woqx

draco16 wrote:

for some reason most 4 star songs seem to love avoiding the main beat of songs and insist on making nearly every beat an off beat (which is extremely annoying to listen to).
It's not offbeat, it just becomes more complex and interesting since it follows more than just the vocals.

On topic, move up by 0.1 star or even less if you have to, don't just jump from 3* to 4*. Also look at bpm and play things that aren't too fast.
pandaBee
Play 4 star stuff @ 176pp and you're gonna have a bad time.
Vuelo Eluko

pandaBee wrote:

i have a bad time @ 4 stars too
Saphirshroom

Riince wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

i have a bad time @ 4 stars too
I feel u ;_;
Topic Starter
draco16_old

Saphirshroom wrote:

Focus on accuracy aand not missing on 3 star maps instead. 3 stars are not "easy" for you, you haven't even fc'ed any. I don't remember any 4 star maps not following the beat, that's probably just you hitting the notes too late or early.
In past Rythm games it was bad to focus on FC'ing low ranking songs as it encouraged bad habits and made players grow too accustomed to the slower speeds. Is that not the case for osu as well? Play too many songs at low ranks and grow too accustomed to the slow speeds. +

If that isn't the case here then I'll go back and work on my other songs again to improve.
B1rd

draco16 wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

In past Rythm games it was bad to focus on FC'ing low ranking songs as it encouraged bad habits and made players grow too accustomed to the slower speeds. Is that not the case for osu as well? Play too many songs at low ranks and grow too accustomed to the slow speeds. +

If that isn't the case here then I'll go back and work on my other songs again to improve.
It's the opposite for osu. Slow songs don't give pp; after you've got a certain amount of scores, you have to FC challenging maps to get any PP. And a lot of people just spam maps that are too hard for them. You can never get any worse by playing slow maps and it improves your consistency and accuracy, spamming fast maps isn't going to be helpful and can give bad mashing habits.
Saphirshroom
It's bad if you FC very slow stuff even though you could have long moved on to a higher speed level. You still seem to have problems FCing and getting a high accuracy so I would work on that first.
On the other hand, it's fine to play what you want on your level, really. Once you get to, say 1500pp you should really start caring about accuracy, not missing and not getting into bad habits - the latter is generally avoided most easily by aiming for 98-100% accuracy. There are good players that value speed and fun more (jesse comes to mind, at least I think he falls under this category), but if you seriously want to improve the general consensus is that you prevent bad habits entirely.
pandaBee

draco16 wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

Learning how to play Osu is a lot like learning how to play an instrument. How do you get good at an instrument? You do it by practicing your basics, correcting your form, doing countless forms of scales and other progressions all while progressing slowly and steadily. You don't get good at an instrument by mindlessly banging your head against the strings/keys and hoping that you'll produce Mozart one day. So for now just stick to Mary had a little lamb and don't rush into things you can't handle.
ithgyu
once you can do hards comfortably (A's consistently, never fail) then move on to insanes. The main difference between 3 star and 4 star maps is the gap in between notes. In hards, the notes are usually right next to each other and dont take much movement to get to, and its more about learning not to mash, whereas once you move to insanes, you really start learning how to move the cursor accurately and efficiently. When it comes to this point, you are gonna suck arse when you start insanes, but the only way to learn insanes is to play insanes.
Topic Starter
draco16_old
Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone. As much as it pains me to slow down, I will try and focus on the easier songs for awhile.
Mvsk

draco16 wrote:

I've been playing for awhile now and still love this game to death but I'm having trouble getting past 3 stars Most 3 star songs range from easy to managable for me yet any 3.5 or 4 star songs are simply O_O. Most of them say they are only half a star higher yet they are 3x faster, have significantly harsher drains, and for some reason most 4 star songs seem to love avoiding the main beat of songs and insist on making nearly every beat an off beat (which is extremely annoying to listen to).

Am I just lacking discipline here or are 4 star songs really just a whole new ballgame?!
In reality:

1star maps = 1star
2star = 2-3 star
3star = 3-4 star
4star = 4-6 star
5star = 5-8 star
and so on

Also i'm stuck where you are right now as well... unfortunately you just have to keep playing until you come across a song you have a good chance at beating / you resonate with. A song that won't drive you mad if you have to retry 200+ times. A beatmap that has more of your strength's than weaknesses (streams, snaps, jumps, certain patterns, accuracy or speed, small hit circles or big, ar8 or ar7 with bpm factor, etc)
Yuudachi-kun
It kind of annoys me how 4 star is grouped 3.5 - 4.5 and so on. Why is it like that?
Mvsk
-retracted-
- Gremory -
Im gonna be honest here with you, for the past 2 months i've been trying to play harder maps than i can just to try to get more PP. Which was stupid, finished barely any map. No fun at all, but this week i started just playing for fun. Like games should be played. For 2 months i barely got any PP, now in 2 days i got ~30pp just by having fun. Don't focus on pp, focus on the fun ;) Stay strong and Click The Circles!
pandaBee
Almost forgot how autistic khelly was.
VoodyVs

silmarilen wrote:

there is a whole range of maps between 3 stars and 3.5 stars, have you tried those?
show more