1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
  4. osu!mania
posted
Im new to mania, and im not sure how the system calculates the pp / score (yes i checked the wiki). i saw this screenshot http://puu.sh/eqclj/48926bf128.jpg im not sure if im missing something, but how did he beat abcdullah's score with less than half the combo? Is accuracy that valuable in mania?

Is accuracy valued more than combo in mania? Since im used to standard where the most important thing is to not miss else you wont get any pp, but it seems like missing doesnt matter in mania? Also, do you get more pp the higher the key count or does it not matter?
posted

xkrissi wrote:

Im new to mania, and im not sure how the system calculates the pp / score (yes i checked the wiki). i saw this screenshot http://puu.sh/eqclj/48926bf128.jpg im not sure if im missing something, but how did he beat abcdullah's score with less than half the combo? Is accuracy that valuable in mania?

Is accuracy valued more than combo in mania? Since im used to standard where the most important thing is to not miss else you wont get any pp, but it seems like missing doesnt matter in mania? Also, do you get more pp the higher the key count or does it not matter?
To put it simple, combo doesn't mean anything here. Keeping it does. Though accuracy is by miles the most important factor
posted
Nobody (except the developers) knows for sure exactly how pp is calculated. As far as I understand things, your score is what contributes most, and accuracy gives bonus. If you get a score that puts you in the top 50 of a song, you're probably going to get a large portion of the map's maximum PP value no matter what your combo or accuracy actually is, for example. Combo contributes a small amount to scoring, but your overall accuracy contributes a whole lot more to the score.

In standard, an 80% accuracy FC would still be worth more than say a 95% score with 3 or 4 misses. In mania that 95% score would be worth much more than the FC. It would be worth a bit less than it could have been if it was an FC, but only a few thousand or so, I believe.
posted
So far as I know, both acc and combo matter. The total score of one specific song is fixed at 1 million. One half of the total score(that is, 500 thousand) is determined solely by acc and the other is determined by a combo coefficient.

For the acc score, the total points will be divided by the total number of notes, and hitting a rainbow 300 is set as getting full points, and then regular 300, 200, etc. This means you will get 500,000 when hitting all rainbow 300s(which is highly impossible in harder songs.)

For the combo score, if you keep hitting 300s(both rainbow 300 and reg 300), the coefficient will increase and then stay at the max value(I think it's 2), and that number will decrease as you hit 200s, 100s, and will become 0 when missing a note. This means when you get all 300s, you will get full score for this part.

To sum up, the tip for getting higher scores is to keep hitting notes with high acc! A series of 300s with a miss will probably get you more points than an FC with lots of 200s, similarly, a high overall acc with several scattered misses will not get as many points as a lower acc due to a series of 200s and 100s yet FCed score!

Personally I believe the score system in o!m is more effective in reflecting the player's overall skill level in one specific song, comparing with that in o2jam(which is combo oriented) and that of BMS/IIDX/LR2(which is acc oriented.)
posted
O!m pp is based on score which is affected by:
Accuracy (most of it)
Combo (just a wee bit)
Consistency (a consistent accracy of lets say 98 gives a slightly better score than a 98 that started as a lets say 95 in the first half)
posted
stamina also effects it, the calculations have been made to somewhat detect things that strain your hands purposely and it sees it as slightly more difficult, i dont think its too much
posted

laishiou wrote:

stamina also effects it, the calculations have been made to somewhat detect things that strain your hands purposely and it sees it as slightly more difficult, i dont think its too much
He's asking about PP, not star rating.
posted

Fullerene- wrote:

He's asking about PP, not star rating.
Map's PP value = star rating tho
posted
no it isnt
star rating is only a part of the pp value
posted

silmarilen wrote:

no it isnt
star rating is only a part of the pp value
From my experience, mania pp value is mostly weighed by the star rating of the map. I know that's not the case for std, Taiko, and ctb, but I'd say that star rating reflects the pp that you get from a map in mania really accurately.
posted
Yeah, star rating is by far the most important indicator of the base pp value of a map. There may be some considerations outside of star rating that are used to modify it, but it seems to be extremely heavily based on the star rating.
Please sign in to reply.