forum

Is it actually easier to use the tablet use over the mouse?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bauxe

bigfeh wrote:

I'll get bashed for this, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's not. Sure, it might be easier to pick up - because we've all held numerous pens and pencils - but if you're experienced and comfortable with a mouse, it's not better, it's not worse, it's not harder and it's not any easier either. This one really boils down to preference and, most importantly, practice.

The only catch is that everyone has already practiced with a pen.
True true words.
Black Wolf159
Is not easier, It's annonying to some persons to get comfortable with tablet when they before used mouse. That's one reason why you can't become insta-better, it's like a reconstruction of your skills but with other thing.
Mahogany
But I did get insta-better once I had a tablet
Yuudachi-kun

Mahoganytooth wrote:

E m i

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Knit_old_1
Yes, absolutely. After getting my osu!™ Tablet I was able to stream 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 ... = -1/12 BPM and was able to do all of the all of the jumps in Big White and Stay Hetero Horse Girl. Thanks osu!™!!!
-sev

jayysen wrote:

Yes, absolutely. After getting my osu!™ Tablet I was able to stream 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 ... = -1/12 BPM and was able to do all of the all of the jumps in Big White and Stay Hetero Horse Girl. Thanks osu!™!!!
ZenithPhantasm
Tablet pen is physically lighter than a mouse with a good sensor. More hand speed and stamina.
Sh0keR
I never used a tablet so I can't really tell, but one problem with mouse (atleast for me) it can be sometimes inconsistent which is a bad thing in osu
bigfeh

Sh0keR wrote:

I never used a tablet so I can't really tell, but one problem with mouse (atleast for me) it can be sometimes inconsistent which is a bad thing in osu
If your mouse is inconsistent, it is either a shit mouse or it is being used on a shit surface. If you have a mousepad, try to keep it clean too
Saphirshroom

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Tablet pen is physically lighter than a mouse with a good sensor. More hand speed and stamina.
Increase mouse dpi -> less movements -> more speed -> more stamina.

I'm aware that dpi doesn't work like that but that's just to show that there is no contra in having a peripheral with greater mass, mouse in this case. You just sacrifice stamina - though that should never be a problem anyway - for control.

jayysen wrote:

After getting my osu!™ Tablet I was able to stream 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 ... = -1/12 BPM
LMAO, best post in this thread
ZenithPhantasm
Still have to overcome static friction :^)
Saphirshroom
That's a good point, actually. Back when I played with mouse I always deemed long jumps disproportionally hard, while short jumps were just kinda... there, and really easy to hit.
With the tablet pen I can barely even snap to short fast ones because of the lacking friction, so I like long-ish jumps the most. My impression was that with switching to tablet I got inconsistent at snapping on short jumps and sliders but got more consistent at everything else.

Might just be me improving skills at a different pace from earlier, though.
Nakano Itsuki
Tablet is easier than mouse to get used to.
But mouse is quite fun to play with once in a while, I have to admit.
bigfeh
I've already posted twice, and while I didn't get bashed for my previous comment, I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the case with this one, but here goes: mouse can actually be easier than keyboard if you're used to it. You also have two extra buttons to mash, so there's also that as an added bonus

In the end, though, it all boils down to preference. Try both (if you have a tablet) and see which you like the most.
autoteleology

bigfeh wrote:

I've already posted twice, and while I didn't get bashed for my previous comment, I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the case with this one, but here goes: mouse can actually be easier than keyboard if you're used to it. You also have two extra buttons to mash, so there's also that as an added bonus

In the end, though, it all boils down to preference. Try both (if you have a tablet) and see which you like the most.
Oh yes. I have found that when I use the keyboard, I flow instead of snap. The connection between the tapping rhythm and the pointing rhythm has decreased dramatically.
ZenithPhantasm
We're talking about tablet vs mouse not mouse only vs keyboard. Stay on topic please.
B1rd
yes tablet is easier than mouse.
buny
tablet vs mouse is redundant until you have the reading skill
gregest
tablet is easier than mouse but not better,idk why I'm still using mouse
B1rd

CptBlackBird wrote:

tablet is easier than mouse but not better,idk why I'm still using mouse
I don't know what your definition of better is.
Mvsk

Shuyoki wrote:

Title^ In your opinion do you believe that the tablet is easier to use cause some of my are like how it's so easy to move up from normal to insane or to hard maps :?
Short answer: Yes.

Using the mouse once you hit the 3-4 star skill cap and you transition over to the tablet it will take a little time to get use to it however your skill cap with the tablet increases immensely.
Think of it this way
Mouse 4 star + : would probably take you 4 times as long to reach
Tablet 4 star+.
Meaning you would have to spend roughly 4 times as long on the mouse as you would have to on the tablet to get better after 4 stars.

Tablet ---> Hitting certain patterns becomes much easier. Control with and after spinning is better. Jumps are much easier.

And well... you get the picture. There is a reason why pros don't use mouse.

Think of baseball.
You go on field with the intention to hit a home run.
You are given a hard plastic bat. (mouse)
Ball will never sail past the walls.

Now you are given a metal water loaded bat (tablet)
It will take some time getting use to the water in the bat but with some practice you'll be hitting homeruns often.
Green Platinum

xTr1gger wrote:

Meaning you would have to spend roughly 4 times as long on the mouse as you would have to on the tablet to get better after 4 stars.

Think of baseball.

It will take some time getting use to the water in the bat but with some practice you'll be hitting homeruns often.
Where did you get 4 times as long from?

Except for the pros that do right?

I don't think this analogy is an appropriate comparison
Yuudachi-kun
If Doomsday learned to use a tablet well he'd be #1 easy.
B1rd

Kheldragar wrote:

If Doomsday learned to use a tablet well he'd be #1 easy.
nope
zozo262
I use both (tablet/keyboard, mouse/keyboard, mouse only) and I think tablet is better for jumps, but I can do sliders better with mouse and my accuracy is better with mouse than with tablet (don't know why lol)

so I think it's all about skill and luck :roll:
Mvsk

Green Platinum wrote:

xTr1gger wrote:

Think of baseball.

Where did you get 4 times as long from?

Except for the pros that do right?

I don't think this analogy is an appropriate comparison
Notice the words probably and roughly ?
-JaZe-

xTr1gger wrote:

Shuyoki wrote:

Title^ In your opinion do you believe that the tablet is easier to use cause some of my are like how it's so easy to move up from normal to insane or to hard maps :?
Short answer: Yes.

Using the mouse once you hit the 3-4 star skill cap and you transition over to the tablet it will take a little time to get use to it however your skill cap with the tablet increases immensely.
Think of it this way
Mouse 4 star + : would probably take you 4 times as long to reach
Tablet 4 star+.

Tablet ---> Hitting certain patterns becomes much easier. Control with and after spinning is better. Jumps are much easier.

Think of baseball.

xTr1gger wrote:

There is a reason why pros don't use mouse.
Except, they do
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/495272
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/2051389
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/844815

Just to drop a few that I know
ZenithPhantasm
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Gokuri (most accurate mouse player on osu! probably)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Pyonta (mouse only spook)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/Doomsday (aim+speed spook)
Yuudachi-kun
And they're theminority for some reason.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

And they're theminority for some reason.
Wacom making the big $$
Yuudachi-kun
You don't need a tablet to get good, but it helps. ;)
xsrsbsns
Yes
ZenithPhantasm

xsrsbsns wrote:

Yes
Very constructive post :^)
Voxnola

Kheldragar wrote:

You don't need a tablet to get good, but it helps. ;)
this and...

It just takes longer to get good on mouse than it does with tablet... because mice are for real men
xsrsbsns

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Very constructive post :^)
Thanks.

Tablet is easier because it has absolute positioning. Also no need to worry about your mouse flying off somewhere and readjusting in the middle of a map. The effects would be easily recognized by the average user. Unless of course if you are already extremely good at mouse.

Of course the above differences only really matter/show after a certain level of difficulty, not talking about easy maps.
Mvsk
whaaaaa!?!?

Very surprised does anyone have a video of a pro doing a 5star+ map using a mouse? i have to see this to believe it.
Yuudachi-kun

xTr1gger wrote:

whaaaaa!?!?

Very surprised does anyone have a video of a pro doing a 5star+ map using a mouse? i have to see this to believe it.
DahplA

xTr1gger wrote:

whaaaaa!?!?

I'd just like to remind you that on the two 7+ star maps Can't Defeat Airman and Freedom Dive, first place is held by players both being mouse players (yes Cookiezi has also FC'd these two, but he is an exception because of how godly he is)
B1rd

DahplA wrote:

xTr1gger wrote:

whaaaaa!?!?

I'd just like to remind you that on the two 7+ star maps Can't Defeat Airman and Freedom Dive, first place is held by players both being mouse players (yes Cookiezi has also FC'd these two, but he is an exception because of how godly he is)
everyone makes a big deal when a mouse player manages to match what one or more tablet players have already done.
show more