forum

Problems with my tablet area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mediocre
So I bought a new table yesterday and since that using my tablet feels kinda wrong because of the different position it has now i guess..
So yeah here's my question: Is there any easier way to find a "perfect" tablet area because I'm trying out new ones for like 3 hours now..jumping and aiming itself works just fine but I notice some small aimfails every time and no matter what I'm doing or how i change the position of my area, I can't get it back like it was..
I know it may be a dumb question but I would really appreciate any help.
Mahogany
Start at full and slowly decrease your tablet area until you find the position that's comfortable for you. Remember to keep the tablet area proportional to your screen resolution. Personally, I use 2x1.13 inches.

Also, don't keep switching rapidly. You won't develop the proper muscle memory if it's different every time.
Topic Starter
mediocre

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Start at full and slowly decrease your tablet area until you find the position that's comfortable for you. Remember to keep the tablet area proportional to your screen resolution. Personally, I use 2x1.13 inches.

Also, don't keep switching rapidly. You won't develop the proper muscle memory if it's different every time.
thanks mate, gonna try it out
Saphirshroom

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Remember to keep the tablet area proportional to your screen resolution.
That's irrelevant.

Other than, scaling down your active area until you're comfortable is a good idea, but (@OP) just pick an area where you can reach all four corners and stick with it for like 2 days. There's no point in switching every 10 minutes, no area will feel perfect to begin with.
E m i
ye, ur brain will just do the maths lololol irrelephant : )
Saphirshroom

[ Momiji ] wrote:

ye, ur brain will just do the maths lololol irrelephant : )
Your hand consists of a few million cells of which the conscious part of your brain has to control, say, like 1% for muscles. I think it is able to do a little math. (Seriously though, that's not how your brain works. When I see a 90° jump I don't think "I'm gonna draw a right angle", I just move my hand. It's not the same as painting or writing.)
Mahogany
Fair enough, but I'd just think it'd be more intuitive to keep everything 1:1 in terms of Y axis and X axis movements.
E m i
paint education
B1rd
Fatal015
Okay, so this is what I do. I play with the area that I am MOST comfortable with and finish the song I am playing. Then I re-watch my play to see what adjustments I need to make. (Typically at x0.5 speed)
For example: (Jump maps) I noticed that every time I try to reach to the left or right, my cursor just BARELY makes it to the circle. So, I go into my tablet settings and adjust the area accordingly and keep playing like normal.
DeletedUser_3905941
find a good area
dont change it
get good
zwoots

[ Momiji ] wrote:

paint education
Makes a more or less of a difference depending on your screen proportions vs tablet area proportions. For example a square active area (1:1) on a 16:9 monitor would just make the horizontal movement be a lot faster in relation to vertical.
E m i

B1rd
all of your maths is based on what the tip of the pen is doing and not what your muscles are doing. and your muscles are what are actually important. when you click circles you are not calculating angles or any shit like that, you use muscle memory to calculate the distance that you need to move all of your different muscle groups controlling the pen. angles and crap aren't even a factor in building muscle memory.

but I guess I'll change my area to a thin rectangle that makes my wrist have to do way more work proportionally than my fingers, because obviously no one can get good aim without forced proportions on oh wait rrtyui (I guess he's must be really damn good at geometry)
E m i

Maybe.

B1rd wrote:

you use muscle memory to calculate the distance that you need to move all of your different muscle groups controlling the pen.
Exactly. You can understand the concept of having different x and y sensitivity, as well as get incredibly used to it (rrtyui is a good example but you can get good with every setup). And it's not necessary to locate the exact center of the circle to hit something that has an area.
play more
Saphirshroom

B1rd wrote:

all of your maths is based on what the tip of the pen is doing and not what your muscles are doing. and your muscles are what are actually important. when you click circles you are not calculating angles or any shit like that, you use muscle memory to calculate the distance that you need to move all of your different muscle groups controlling the pen. angles and crap aren't even a factor in building muscle memory.

but I guess I'll change my area to a thin rectangle that makes my wrist have to do way more work proportionally than my fingers, because obviously no one can get good aim without forced proportions on oh wait rrtyui (I guess he's must be really damn good at geometry)
^ This.

There is no correlation between movements with different angles for your brain, it's just cells contracting. The fact that your travels have equal distance on a tablet with forced proportions doesn't matter, since, as soon as angle changes, your brain has to use an entirely different muscle memory.
Imagine a horizontal and a vertical jump. They might be the same length, yet for one you have to bend your wrist and for the other one bend your fingers, so already having gained the muscle memory for one of those jumps doesn't help you find the other.
The image was still pretty hilarious
-JaZe-
I've tried areas that are proportional to the screen and areas that aren't, and as it turns out, it hardly matters. Your brain doesn't really do geometry every time it needs to move your cursor to a different spot, it just goes "I think that point is somewhere...here" and then it sends your hand there. So as long as you practice the same thing over and over again, it'll work out just fine
E m i

Saphirshroom wrote:

There is no correlation between movements with different angles for your brain, it's just cells contracting. The fact that your travels have equal distance on a tablet with forced proportions doesn't matter, since, as soon as angle changes, your brain has to use an entirely different muscle memory.
So are you saying that your brain can't determine the distance between two objects based on the information presented on the screen, a.k.a the distance between two objects?
Does your hand sweat when you play? Probably.
Excessively? Is this an issue?
When my hand is sticking to the surface of my tablet, I am still able to hit the circles. I can feel where the circles are 'located', so I'm able to compensate.
With forced proportions off, your eyes are lying to you about the simplest thing possible - distance. Comprehension of vertical and horizontal sensitivity is not enough to determine how much a movement on an intermediate angle is going to be shifted.

Saphirshroom wrote:

Imagine a horizontal and a vertical jump. They might be the same length, yet for one you have to bend your wrist and for the other one bend your fingers, so already having gained the muscle memory for one of those jumps doesn't help you find the other.
They usually won't happen in isolation. Keep in mind that you're only trying to move the tip of the pen to a certain location.

Imagine a square.

Of course, it's possible to

[ Momiji ] wrote:

compensate
and adapt.