forum

[duplicate] When Spectating, See Player's Skin

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Noffy
Some beatmaps can have preferred skins, where if you have the skin downloaded, it will be automatically loaded when playing the map.

This idea is for something similar when spectating players.
It will detect what skin the person you are spectating is using, and make it so that when you watch them you will see them play with the same skin they are using if you have it automatically. With this you will be able to see how the gameplay looks to the player whom you are spectating, and share more of the experience.

For example: If someone is playing a map with a lot of stacks and an old style skin with the gigantic hitbursts, spectators may not know that the reason they're missing notes is because the player can't see them. Having this feature will make that more understandable.

Thanks taking time to read this kind of silly but hopefully nice idea :D
Bara-
How will this ever happen?
Most people change their skins
I for example, use Fml skin, but with MANY adaptations
How will they see it, comsidering they do NOT need to download it?
Topic Starter
Noffy

baraatje123 wrote:

How will they see it, comsidering they do NOT need to download it?

dorothy3242 wrote:

It will detect what skin the person you are spectating is using, and make it so that when you watch them you will see them play with the same skin they are using if you have it automatically.
It would be like when beatmaps have preferred skins, if you don't have the skin, it wont show up, and if you do, it will show up.
Possibly with a message like when you don't have the beatmaps preferred skin: "This player is using skin "Blahblahblah". Please download this skin for the full experience!"
- Marco -
I once readed that peppy was about to do that :O
Bara-
Please read my whole post instead of quoting only a part of it :3
I said, that I have a skin, Heavenly Osu skin (made a mistake in my post, it's Heavenly Osu, not fml), but I changed many things, so only 20% of the old skin remains
Will they still see Heavenly Osu, or my updated version?
The 1st one is fine, but it's NOT the same, and my updated version needs to be downloaded then
Green Platinum
What happens when a beatmaps skin and a players skin clash? What does spectator choose?
Topic Starter
Noffy

baraatje123 wrote:

Please read my whole post instead of quoting only a part of it :3
I said, that I have a skin, Heavenly Osu skin (made a mistake in my post, it's Heavenly Osu, not fml), but I changed many things, so only 20% of the old skin remains
Will they still see Heavenly Osu, or my updated version?
The 1st one is fine, but it's NOT the same, and my updated version needs to be downloaded then
Ah shoot I messed up meant to reply to each part seperately I'm sorry :c
They would still see Heavenly Osu unless there were some way to tell the difference between it and your version.

Green Platinum wrote:

What happens when a beatmaps skin and a players skin clash? What does spectator choose?
I'm not really sure what you mean by clash? If a player is using one skin and the player uhh... ?
Strategas
To see the players skin, it will need to download first. And if you have slow net + spectate lots of people it's not really possible, unless make an option to turn it on or off. I can see it making seperate folders for each player you specate so in case they update their skins, it wouldn't take too long, unless they completely change their skin.
Sea_Food
For the client could know what skin was used when the map was played in the replay you are watching is that the entire skin file must be saved with each individual replay.

Since skin files are usually 5MB - 50MB this would increase the server data capacity requierement by about five thousandfold for saved replays.
Other way would be to give each skin a detector code so the client could recognice them. But even a slight modification to the skin would fuck the whole thing up.
Do you understand why this is a bad idea?

Also there is this thing that no matter how you code it, it would be compleatly inpossible to make it work for older replays than before thr feature was added. For example. If someone is using old style skin in an old replay and missing notes because of it, you will never be able to know
alxnr

Sea_Food wrote:

For the client could know what skin was used when the map was played in the replay you are watching is that the entire skin file must be saved with each individual replay.

Since skin files are usually 5MB - 50MB this would increase the server data capacity requierement by about five thousandfold for saved replays.
Other way would be to give each skin a detector code so the client could recognice them. But even a slight modification to the skin would fuck the whole thing up.
Do you understand why this is a bad idea?

Also there is this thing that no matter how you code it, it would be compleatly inpossible to make it work for older replays than before thr feature was added. For example. If someone is using old style skin in an old replay and missing notes because of it, you will never be able to know
The request has nothing to do with replays. It's about the skin of the spectated people.
Sea_Food
oh sorry i misred kek
Oinari-sama