forum

Taiko Questions and Advice Thread.

posted
Total Posts
show more
roufou
You might want to try playing maps with streams that change from 1/3 to 1/4 (or vice versa), a large part of it is accuracy/rhythm based and if you get the hang of hitting notes on maps like those you might find it easier to go from that to faster stuff.

Could also try and see if you find maps that have easy 1/4 streams with 1/6 too, although finding the proper maps can be difficult.

The hardest part is probably the technique and reading, which isn't really too surprising.
tkdLolly

Eeneehaww30PH wrote:

hey there! well, i'm a bit far now, but i would really like to have some tips from you.
any help on how to deal well with the sudden change of time measures? like you are doing well with 1/4 patterns around 160bpm? then some clusters of 1/8 appears. my hands end up being forced to hit them right, some were completed but mostly, it ends missed. that makes my hands more tired.

i've tried HT, but it seems to take me more longer to master them when returning to the original bpm.
any tips? or I only need patience?
I think the problem lies in your speed. A 1/4 to 1/8 transition shouldn't practically make the beat more confusing. If you can't land hits simply because the notes are too fast, HT is a viable option to read, learn, and practise the patterns properly, then perhaps you can hit them quicker. It's like playing Galaxy Collapse without hitting everything because your hands aren't quick enough, unless you have HT, which is absolutely reasonable.

But with 160 BPM, I would say forget HT, and just practise the patterns individually on your desk or keyboard until you can play them up to speed, provided that the patterns aren't too long to practise playing without looking at the notes themselves. You can always use the Edit panel to practise a particular part repeatedly if absolutely necessary (unless the map is a convert). If you use HT you're basically turning 1/4 to 1/2 and 1/8 to 1/4 which doesn't help if you keep playing 1/8 like you would 1/4, because you won't be able to speed up without HT.

If it's streams that you have problems with, and you just can't read those easily on the spot, then HT ahead, and try memorising the stream a bit so you can hit it easier in future. Another option would be to try other stream maps at lower BPM (although 160 BPM is already quite slow).

Tempo changes can occur because of change in BPM, in which case you just hit faster overall.

More of a difficult change in tempo is 1/4 & 1/6, as it can be very confusing when you're hitting 1/4 and suddenly there are more notes at smaller intervals, then your accuracy and combo break. A good map to start learning how to deal with those is Hatsuki Yura - Yoiyami Hanabi [aabc's Oni]. Plenty of higher level maps have this type of tempo change, and as agu has mentioned, reading and technique are both important in playing these, and that's pretty much up to your experience.

Edit: I just had a quick look at your profile and saw that you could play some advanced maps. Just a thought, but maybe telling us what map you have trouble with would help us give you more useful advice for that particular situation.
Edgar_Figaro

tkdlolly wrote:

But with 160 BPM, I would say forget HT, and just practise the patterns individually on your desk or keyboard until you can play them up to speed, provided that the patterns aren't too long to practise playing without looking at the notes themselves. You can always use the Edit panel to practise a particular part repeatedly if absolutely necessary (unless the map is a convert). If you use HT you're basically turning 1/4 to 1/2 and 1/8 to 1/4 which doesn't help if you keep playing 1/8 like you would 1/4, because you won't be able to speed up without HT.
Actually half time makes everything 2/3 speed and not 1/2 (despite it being called half-time) just like DT makes everything 1.5x and not 2x
Hata-tan
I'm trying to get back into Taiko after my ban, but I realized that I've gotten so much worse accuracywise. Usually it was around 98% but now I end up messing up everything and ending up with 89 - 97% acc...except on easy shit like some Onis or qoot maps...
Well, also I realized that finishers make me mindblock so hard, especially if they are spammed like in Nwolfs Anima or in Onos TU4AR

Am I better off just ignoring the finishers and going for the FC/accuracy or should I consistently practice hitting every finisher just because everything else would be cheesing? I don't know about Taiko morals but ignoring finishers seems wrong to me and the fact that you don't break on them confused me since the beginning. But I guess it's fortunate :D
tkdLolly

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

tkdlolly wrote:

Actually half time makes everything 2/3 speed and not 1/2 (despite it being called half-time) just like DT makes everything 1.5x and not 2x
:o I just knew :o
The concept is similar, I guess ;)
tkdLolly

Hata-tan wrote:

I'm trying to get back into Taiko after my ban, but I realized that I've gotten so much worse accuracywise. Usually it was around 98% but now I end up messing up everything and ending up with 89 - 97% acc...except on easy shit like some Onis or qoot maps...
Well, also I realized that finishers make me mindblock so hard, especially if they are spammed like in Nwolfs Anima or in Onos TU4AR

Am I better off just ignoring the finishers and going for the FC/accuracy or should I consistently practice hitting every finisher just because everything else would be cheesing? I don't know about Taiko morals but ignoring finishers seems wrong to me and the fact that you don't break on them confused me since the beginning. But I guess it's fortunate :D
On finishers *sigh*

They are not compulsory to hit with both hands (at the moment) but they certainly give more points if you do.

If the finishers are confusing, then don't hit them, especially when you're not playing for points (like in multi), but for pp, because pp doesn't take into account your points, but your accuracy, so you don't have to get the extra points from finishers. If you break on a finisher, that would immediately mean a discount in pp, not to mention breaking your combo causes a loss in points as well.

The only Taiko moral you have to keep in mind is S(S) at all costs. 8-)
DJ Enetro
All too interesting, now that you consider it...

Not too long ago, I placed #15 on Ymir by MYTHOLOGIA, beatmap by MLREC, on Beginner difficulty (using FL, HD, and HR mods).

Then again, good osu! players are not judged by one song but by how they utilize patterns.

I am using the default zx/cv setup, and it seems that those ddk and kkd patterns put together seem to be fumbling me up. Maybe I should use xcv - vzx for them? It seemed smooth anyway.

Also, some general tips would be kindly appreciated. Thanks!
tkdLolly

DJ Enetro wrote:

All too interesting, now that you consider it...

Not too long ago, I placed #15 on Ymir by MYTHOLOGIA, beatmap by MLREC, on Beginner difficulty (using FL, HD, and HR mods).

Then again, good osu! players are not judged by one song but by how they utilize patterns.

I am using the default zx/cv setup, and it seems that those ddk and kkd patterns put together seem to be fumbling me up. Maybe I should use xcv - vzx for them? It seemed smooth anyway.

Also, some general tips would be kindly appreciated. Thanks!
Playing two notes with one hand is a legitimate style that I know a few high-level players use. But note that you may run into trouble when facing longer streams, as in ddkdk or ddkdkkdkd. If you can figure out what's going on, awesome. But if not, consider playing the regular alt instead. Especially if you play HR, you might see ddk coming, but be surprised when you see another dk following. Do you alternate or repeat another dk? How about dkd? It would be good to think your style through so that you can play whatever pattern comes next without having to think on the spot and fumble with your keyboard.

Personally, I play dk / kd on the same hand only when they come in pairs of notes so it doesn't interfere with my streams. Dexterity might be a problem when pairs of notes including dd & kk keep flushing down and you can't play all of them on one hand (DDKK/KKDD handswitch players certainly can). Alternating even with pairs of notes seems more like a mainstream way to play. For triplets and more, alternating all the way is definitely the norm. But ultimately it's your choice what kind of style you want to master. (I would seriously recommend alternating everything because it would be a lot less confusing in case of streams)

If your habit seems smooth to you, it may be difficult to change how you play, but given enough practice, you can rewrite your style altogether. I remember one of the first maps I played (Hige Driver join. SELEN - Dadadadadadadadadada [Oni]) has a lot of dk / kd's and short streams, and I used to play them all, albeit, then, with abysmal accuracy, with one hand. More ridiculously, I played dkddkkd with cvcxzvc. :o

But all these habits can be changed. When I had a better grasp of alternating and replayed the map some time later, I could play the entire map with ease and not be confused by anything (of course, with considerably higher accuracy :oops:).

I see that you've just started so picking up the mainstream alternate style shouldn't be a problem. It will eventually pay off. (Unless you switch to DDKK/KKDD, which is another story altogether)

I also played the default setup until beyond #5000. There's nothing wrong with it if you don't care about your fingers rarely touching each other and having to adjust the position of your hands or your keyboard to hit the keys. It's still KDDK.

My general tip to you is try to improve your accuracy. I had a quick look at your profile and your accuracy is not that high. Learning how to perfect your accuracy goes far when you grind for pp or even during multi, where tiny differences in accuracy can make a great difference. It takes a bit of time to start getting consistent 300's. Play easy maps and figure out what timing you have to hit the notes at. If the timing seems uncomfortable or awkward, change your offset.

Good luck with Taiko :D
Edgar_Figaro

tkdLolly wrote:

My general tip to you is try to improve your accuracy. I had a quick look at your profile and your accuracy is not that high. Learning how to perfect your accuracy goes far when you grind for pp or even during multi, where tiny differences in accuracy can make a great difference. It takes a bit of time to start getting consistent 300's. Play easy maps and figure out what timing you have to hit the notes at. If the timing seems uncomfortable or awkward, change your offset.
A few things I'd like to add for knowing if you should adjust your offset or not.

1. If you don't already make sure your score meter is set to hit accuracy. By this you can see if you are hitting early or late (especially good for watching through on replays so you can see if certain sections cause you to rush or lag behind)

2. When you finish a song hover the cursor over the graph at the bottom. This will give you two statistics your -x.xx/+x.xx & your Unstable Rate (UR). For the first number you want to try and get the +/- to be as close to the same absolute value as possible. So if you are say averages -10/+5 this means you are more often hitting notes early. Adjust the offset so this becomes more even. If this doesn't work than your problem is more likely in how you visually see the notes instead of how you hear the notes. In this case you can either try to a. look closer/further from the hit line so it meshes with your timing better or b. adjust the hit location in your skin.
tkdLolly

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

tkdLolly wrote:

A few things I'd like to add for knowing if you should adjust your offset or not.

1. If you don't already make sure your score meter is set to hit accuracy. By this you can see if you are hitting early or late (especially good for watching through on replays so you can see if certain sections cause you to rush or lag behind)

2. When you finish a song hover the cursor over the graph at the bottom. This will give you two statistics your -x.xx/+x.xx & your Unstable Rate (UR). For the first number you want to try and get the +/- to be as close to the same absolute value as possible. So if you are say averages -10/+5 this means you are more often hitting notes early. Adjust the offset so this becomes more even. If this doesn't work than your problem is more likely in how you visually see the notes instead of how you hear the notes. In this case you can either try to a. look closer/further from the hit line so it meshes with your timing better or b. adjust the hit location in your skin.
:o Another something I didn't know before. When I first started off, when I was tuning my offset, I simply moved it left and right until I found it suitable :P (which proved to be quite frustrating :?)
tkdLolly
Hello it's me again, this time with another question.

How does one train accuracy on DT? It always seems so difficult to grasp. :o
greedystar
How to train bpm for a single tap player? I've been trying to play 240bpm for ages but never seem to make progress.
Tyistiana

greedystar wrote:

How to train bpm for a single tap player? I've been trying to play 240bpm for ages but never seem to make progress.
As I'm a single tap player. It's very hard to tap 240 BPM or higher with your only single hand.
The best solution is, forget single tap play style. And begin the new playing style, alternate. (Completely 2 hands player.)
But if you tries to play single tap and want to play 240 bpm and above, no recommendation in this case.
I thought that the advantage of the single tap player is accuracy. One hand, easier to understand the rhythm.
But the big disadvantage of the single tap player is can't stream a very long pattern notes like Erehamonika remixed by kors k - Der Wald (Kors K Remix)
Okay, I'm single hand player and I can play this map well too, but the BPM problems ran to me too, I can't play stream's map which have a high BPM with my single tap style.
So for the profit in the long period, I'm very recommend you to change your play style to alternate.
Single tap player can't play the music which have a very high BPM. Why?
If you can play alternately, You can use 2 hands to tap the notes, which means you can divide the note you have to tap for 2 hands.
But how about single tap player? The main hand which you've use will be very fatigued from trying to tap the fast note.
Kurokotei - Galaxy Collapse will be a good reason why you shouldn't play single tap.
Because high BPM map is single tapper's nightmare.

tkdLolly wrote:

Checked the OD of the map first. Did you know that if we compare the error's given of OD5 +DT compare to OD9. It's almost completely equal.
I guess you have to train OD2 or OD3 + DT first. Then, if you can play them well. (Like 99% above)
Just move to play OD4 +DT and OD5 +DT or above.
Very recommend to train to play DT with this map. MYTH & ROID - STYX HELIX
I'm not professional in taiko that much, so maybe my instruction will be useless. lmao :(
anti79
So I've been playing with a weird playstyle whre I begin every pattern with ny right hand, and then play it full alt.
For example, ddkkddk ddk kkd would turn into RLRLRLR RLR RLR.
It was ok until longer new patterns appeared. If there was something like ddkddkddkddk , I would break it down into repeating ddk. But as I can play ddk only starting with the right hand, it becomes slow and confusing. (RLRRLRRLR).
So I've decided to learn full alt, but the problem is I can't remember how did I finish the previous pattern, what hand was the last. And I continue to start everything with right hand.
What should I do?
gamestonk
Can someone explain to me what a kkdd playstyle is opposed to a kddk playstyle? I have literally 0 idea what this means. Trying to expand past Osu! STD so sorry for the stupid question.
Raiden
gamestonk

Raiden wrote:

Ohhh ok yeah that makes sense. Thanks lol
MovieZ

anti79 wrote:

So I've been playing with a weird playstyle whre I begin every pattern with ny right hand, and then play it full alt.
For example, ddkkddk ddk kkd would turn into RLRLRLR RLR RLR.
It was ok until longer new patterns appeared. If there was something like ddkddkddkddk , I would break it down into repeating ddk. But as I can play ddk only starting with the right hand, it becomes slow and confusing. (RLRRLRRLR).
So I've decided to learn full alt, but the problem is I can't remember how did I finish the previous pattern, what hand was the last. And I continue to start everything with right hand.
What should I do?
I was singletapping everything and playing even weirdest playstyle, I was playing DDK like left hand, right hand, right hand, etc, but then i suddenly decided to learn full alternating. It was really hard at first, but you must force your brain to use different hands everytime. Now I am not even thinking about my hands, my brain learnt it and it is easy now. But you must not be using your previous playstyle while re-learning, because it will make it more difficult to do. Personally I started my relearning from easiest songs, and it took about 3-6 days to learn full alternating.
amax
Hi!

I've been trying to play more Oni maps but there are just so many patterns I just cant hit. I stumble trying to hit the correct color on those long 4 or more note
patterns. I've tried different ways to do them but I'm just not sure how to. I know which colors should be pressed but my fingers just don't appreciate such strange patterns.

If it means anything, I can play almost any Muzukashii difficulty with relative ease, as long as it doesnt contain kiai parts with Oni patterns. I can almost DT them, actually. I 90% of the time play real taiko difficulties (rare seeing me play a convert.)
tkdLolly

tkdLolly wrote:

To answer myself 5 months ago I guess you don't you just do

- - -

Rank hasn't quite moved in two months at around #600-620

Trashing my life to play but still getting no better, need taiko / life advice
tkdLolly

Tilt on English wrote:

Hi!

I've been trying to play more Oni maps but there are just so many patterns I just cant hit. I stumble trying to hit the correct color on those long 4 or more note
patterns. I've tried different ways to do them but I'm just not sure how to. I know which colors should be pressed but my fingers just don't appreciate such strange patterns.

If it means anything, I can play almost any Muzukashii difficulty with relative ease, as long as it doesnt contain kiai parts with Oni patterns. I can almost DT them, actually. I 90% of the time play real taiko difficulties (rare seeing me play a convert.)
Memorise whatever pattern you can't play, practice alternating, start slow, make sure you're doing it right, then accelerate, a couple hundred times if you have to, shouldn't take long

Ideally when you see the pattern it should be like a reflex playing it, good luck
CrabCow
Do you have any tips on how do people start playing hidden maps? I can play up to 6* Stars but I can't find a starting point for playing hidden and it seems very hopeless to me.
Also is there a more safe and efficent way to hit dddkkkdddkkk[/color]kkk patterns in a quick bpm?
CrabCow
Do you have any tips on how do people start playing hidden maps? I can play up to 6* Stars but I can't find a starting point for playing hidden and it seems very hopeless to me.
Also is there a more safe and efficent way to hit dddkkkdddkkkdddkkk patterns in a quick bpm?
CrabCow
Also is there a more safe and efficent way to hit dddkkkdddkkkdddkkk patterns in a quick bpm?
tkdLolly

CrabCow wrote:

1. Consider deleting repeated posts

2. I think you can try playing 5* maps better before venturing into 6*, judging from your BP

3. HD is not hopeless if you know the map well enough to anticipate certain patterns and timings, so my advice for that is play more NM then play HD when you're confident enough that you can recall parts of the map you might miss otherwise, like irregular patterns and ninja notes. Of course if you're good enough you can just sightread

4. Start ddd with one hand, alternate to starting with it her hand, repeat
Practice.

Good luck
Cheezburgr
I used to be around 5k but then I stopped playing for a while because I couldn't get any better/couldn't find decent songs. My problem is that I always played with my left hand almost exclusively so I could never do streams consistently. Even now I'm having trouble doing someting like ddk d kkd k ddk d
What I'm trying to do is practice those parts of the song that I'm having trouble with so I can develop that muscle memory for my right hand because whenever I see something like what I posted above, the reflex is to jump back to vibrating my left hand which is not optimal. The problem is I can't find any way to do that, is there a way to edit the map so I could playtest a specific section? It would be excellent if I could do that.

Thanks in advance. :D
Revaxion
hi there!
my problem is my left hand doesn't want to click:(
how to solve this? or maybe is there any practice to do?
thx before!
Tyistiana

Cheezburgr wrote:

I used to be around 5k but then I stopped playing for a while because I couldn't get any better/couldn't find decent songs. My problem is that I always played with my left hand almost exclusively so I could never do streams consistently. Even now I'm having trouble doing someting like ddk d kkd k ddk d
What I'm trying to do is practice those parts of the song that I'm having trouble with so I can develop that muscle memory for my right hand because whenever I see something like what I posted above, the reflex is to jump back to vibrating my left hand which is not optimal. The problem is I can't find any way to do that, is there a way to edit the map so I could playtest a specific section? It would be excellent if I could do that.
Thanks in advance. :D
When you've start to play osu! Not click play yet , go to Edit section, then select the music that you want to practice.
Then choose the period that you want to practice and press F5 to enter to the test mode.
That will allow you to test-play too.

Revaxion wrote:

hi there!
thx before!
Tried to use your left hand only before to make your left hand memorize the solution to tap the color.
Seems hard, but keep practicing! :D
After that, comes to play alternate hand.
Revaxion

Tyistiana wrote:

Revaxion wrote:

hi there!
thx before!
Tried to use your left hand only before to make your left hand memorize the solution to tap the color.
Seems hard, but keep practicing! :D
After that, comes to play alternate hand.
ok i will try it. thx 4 ur solution :D
Cheezburgr

Tyistiana wrote:

When you've start to play osu! Not click play yet , go to Edit section, then select the music that you want to practice.
Then choose the period that you want to practice and press F5 to enter to the test mode.
That will allow you to test-play too.
Many thanks! This was an immense help!
Adorn
Does it ever get easier to alternate between big don/kat into little? I usually have to skip a big one to avoid choking and if I try it I lose my footing and break my combo / screw up my accuracy pretty badly. Does it just get easier along the way?
tkdLolly

Flannel wrote:

Does it ever get easier to alternate between big don/kat into little? I usually have to skip a big one to avoid choking and if I try it I lose my footing and break my combo / screw up my accuracy pretty badly. Does it just get easier along the way?
I used to skip them because they are confusing. You'll get used to it if you hit them more.
Tyistiana
Seems like I have something to asked here.

How to focus the patterns after 1/6 ??

When the 1/4 pattern have come, I still can focus on it, and when I've noticed first 1/6 pattern , still can focus on it too. But the notes after that 1/6 pattern , I can't concentrate on them, always lose my focus after first 1/6 patterns.
Does their have any solution for this??
Genjuro

Tyistiana wrote:

When the 1/4 pattern have come, I still can focus on it, and when I've noticed first 1/6 pattern , still can focus on it too. But the notes after that 1/6 pattern , I can't concentrate on them, always lose my focus after first 1/6 patterns.
I think this happens because you can't really follow the 1/6 rhyhm so you just "try to tap fast" which causes you to lose your rhythm flow and mess up after
Tyistiana

Genjuro wrote:

I think this happens because you can't really follow the 1/6 rhyhm so you just "try to tap fast" which causes you to lose your rhythm flow and mess up after
To be honest, I didn't think that I'm forced myself to tap faster. On the other hand, I think that I'm too slow somehow ;;w;;
Still can't play 200 BPM maps, lmao
tkdLolly

Tyistiana wrote:

Memorise maybe?
Tyistiana

tkdLolly wrote:

Memorise maybe?
Have a try with this solution before too. But unfortunately, I can't memorize the note because I'm too noob ;;w;; (maybe it's a main reason that why I can't play HD even on 2* map, lmao)
l Zetech l
(sorry for my english, i'm french and i haven't a really good english)

Hi, I stuck in Muzukashi difficulty and i have difficulties to clear some combo like kddkdd , kkddkkdd , and others patterns with more than 3 notes in general.

I'm playing in kkdd , with WEOP. I dunno if the problem is my reading skill or my tap skill.

It's ridiculous cause i'm near to #10k and all the player with my level haven't difficulties with muzukashi beatmaps :|

Any tips for me ? Cause it's very frustrating :?
Endaris
Keep going, I'm assuring you that players at your level still do have difficulties with many Muzukashii difficulties. There are still some I struggle with at least.
As I'm using a different playstyle than you I can't really advise you on how to do these patterns better but generally speaking we're both at the point where we learn to play long 1/2 patterns consistently and learn to read multicolor 1/4 patterns properly.
This is really really difficult at first to do consistently and personally I'm still shitmissing left and right but practice really makes perfect here.

Seeing that you play a lot of converts I would definitely advise you to play more Taiko specific maps as they are generally a lot more smooth in terms of difficulty progression, offer more diverse patterning (which is good for practice purposes) and don't have any ridiculous 1/4 patterns out of nowhere like it sometimes happens in converts I guess.
RedBall
Hello, can I ask a question now?

I have a problem related to big D and K.

Even though I think I pressed two d keys at the same time, it does not give me big D score...
You may see my play here https://osu.ppy.sh/s/672223 by replay (or, if I'm not in #50 cuz I'm suck at Taiko. Could you poke me via PM or in game?)
show more