forum

Taiko Questions and Advice Thread.

posted
Total Posts
show more
karterfreak
You can use most midi drum sets, might have to use xpadder or similar controller mapping software if it isn't detected in osu!. Will likely have to do some pretty serious global offset adjusting to have hits be accurate.
-Kazu-
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with my pc than osu itself but i will ask anyways.
Lately i've noticed that my acc gets owned by the fact my error margin is like -6ms~4ms , tilted for -x ms and it usually matches that box in the bottom-right which for me almost everytime is around 2-3ms, which i suppose it indicates input lag (not sure).
So, is there any way to fix that without trying to hit the notes 2ms later? :p
I think in mania you can modify a value for the hitposition, fixing the tilt in the margin error but it seems taiko doesnt feature that :/
Also, using global offset doesnt really work, i keep getting my error margin tilted :(
Purplehoboes
I could use some advice improving, as I seem to have hit a wall
Right now I'm just under 3000pp (honestly, I could probably get a couple hundred more without much struggling if I downloaded some more maps, but I want to get better, not farm pp on easy maps)
What's getting to me the most is streaming (I can stream in some maps up to 150ish bpm depending on the specific note patterns, but anything above that is pretty much impossible unless it's an easy pattern like ddkkddkk or ddddkkkk or dkkkdkkk)
Besides that, I've been trying to just increase my speed in general for the past couple weeks or so until I can play 200bpm more consistently, but I don't feel like I've improved at all in this time considering I can hardly score any higher on any maps I've done before.
What's the best way someone around my skill level could improve? Thanks in advance
karterfreak

Purplehoboes wrote:

Right now I'm just under 3000pp (honestly, I could probably get a couple hundred more without much struggling if I downloaded some more maps, but I want to get better, not farm pp on easy maps)
What's getting to me the most is streaming (I can stream in some maps up to 150ish bpm depending on the specific note patterns, but anything above that is pretty much impossible unless it's an easy pattern like ddkkddkk or ddddkkkk or dkkkdkkk)
Besides that, I've been trying to just increase my speed in general for the past couple weeks or so until I can play 200bpm more consistently, but I don't feel like I've improved at all in this time considering I can hardly score any higher on any maps I've done before.
What's the best way someone around my skill level could improve? Thanks in advance
From a quick glance at your profile, something you could work on is consistency FCing. You're likely working on songs that are a little -too- far out of your play range currently. Focus on FCing for a bit with at least S rank (no low acc A's). If a map gives you trouble, find out what pattern is causing that trouble and work on getting that pattern down to muscle memory. Ideally once you've learned how to play most triplet, quadruplet and quintuplet patterns, you can start to play any map up to your bpm comfort zone (including streams once you learn how to string those patterns together!)

Also, a comment about speed. You likely do have the speed to play maps above 150bpm. You're more likely to not have good enough reading and finger control more than anything, which builds with playtime. Speed comes with comfort reading and playing patterns.
Purplehoboes

Tasha wrote:

Purplehoboes wrote:

From a quick glance at your profile, something you could work on is consistency FCing. You're likely working on songs that are a little -too- far out of your play range currently. Focus on FCing for a bit with at least S rank (no low acc A's). If a map gives you trouble, find out what pattern is causing that trouble and work on getting that pattern down to muscle memory. Ideally once you've learned how to play most triplet, quadruplet and quintuplet patterns, you can start to play any map up to your bpm comfort zone (including streams once you learn how to string those patterns together!)

Also, a comment about speed. You likely do have the speed to play maps above 150bpm. You're more likely to not have good enough reading and finger control more than anything, which builds with playtime. Speed comes with comfort reading and playing patterns.
Thanks, I appreciate it :D
Zoggoth
I've got pretty good muscle memory for all patterns 5 notes or less, but I'm having trouble putting them together in streams, so if I'm not single tapping 1/4's (bpm>~120) then 1/4 streams of the same length have a huge difficulty range depending on the order on dons/katsus. For example I find Endless Tewi-ma Park Oni (3.8*, 128bpm) as hard as Anthem (6*, 220bpm) because the first has 5 17-29 note streams with almost no pattern, with 13 & 15 ones all over the place; whereas the worst I can find in Anthem is ddkdddkkkkddddklkkkddddk and almost every 9+ note stream is made of just dd & kk pairs.

At the moment I can sort of handle these patternless streams by splitting the stream up into bits like dkdk... (alternate fingers on right hand) and bits like dddd.../kkkk... (alternate index/middle fingers) but this isn't even vaguely consistent. I've started spamming a collection of maps like the Tewi-ma Park one (120-140 bpm, ~4* with long patternless streams) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Do I need to start by forcing myself to alternate streams on 100 bpm maps I could otherwise play with one hand? Or even relearning with full alternating? (I'm keeping my ddkkddkk... and kddkdd... patterns though)

As a side note, is there any long term point to chasing FCs for anyone without huge consistency issues? 99% FCs seem to be great for PP short-term but is there a better way to practice consistency?
SkullNoise
I've been playing this game for a few years now but mainly as just a solo game without really interacting on the forums or anything. However now I'm starting to be active on the forums and am seeing a lot of terminology I don't really get... Would anyone mind giving me a basic run through of taiko terminology on here so I can better communicate with you guys?

I also have a second question regarding taiko itself. I have fairly good muscle memory of every pattern from 3's all the way into 500+ note streams, however one specific thing I've been seeing in a lot of higher ranked beatmaps is what appears to be a condensed note pattern, typically 4 notes, in the middle of a stream that ends up throwing me off. I've learned these patterns by themselves but when they appear in a stream I miss them almost every time. Any tips or beatmaps to practice these on?
karterfreak
@Zoggoth:

For a kddk player the ideal way to deal with any long stream is to fully alternate. Realistically you should do what works for you so long as it won't cause you problems down the line. (I don't know good examples of this for kddk as I'm mainly a ddkk player). As for more complex patterns, reading and familiarity are 99% of your issues right now. At a certain point you start thinking less about what button to press and just naturally do it from muscle memory. That's personally when I found streaming to be much easier as I was able to focus on reading the more complex patterns. As your reading gets better, so will your consistency. Your reading improves with playing a lot of varied maps and going for FC's (eliminating mistakes on patterns you struggle on in the map). That's why I suggest people play songs slightly out of their comfort zone so they can have something to work on as they play.

@SkullNoise

I dunno if there's actually a list of terminology anywhere (and too lazy to check) so I guess I can cover the ones I use a lot.

1. don - red notes, also shortened to d when explaining streams / patterns.
  2. kat - blue notes, also shortened to k when explaining streams / patterns. (i.e: d k ddk d kd dk)
  3. sliders / drum rolls - the yellow note that you hit all the white dots on for bonus points
  4. dendens / spinners - the note that you need to alternate between don / kat to get the counter to hit 0 for bonus points.
  5. finishers - The big notes that give bonus points for hitting with both don / kat keys. Shortened to D and K respectively.
  6. important note on key layout: Players will often describe their key layout using don and kat shortened, not all players use the default kddk style layout, there are players who use dkdk / ddkk playstyles and their opposites (kdkd / kkdd / dkkd(?))
  7. 4/1, 2/1, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8 - These are all basically spacing between notes using editor terminology within osu!. You may need to research a little on music to understand this part but basically 4/1 is whole notes, 2/1 is half notes, 1/1 is quarter notes, 1/2 is eighth notes, 1/4 is 16th notes, 1/8 is 32nd notes. 1/3 and 1/6 are editor snappings equivalent to 12th and 24th notes (or eighth note in a eighth note triplet / sixteenth note in a sixteenth note triplet). These are all used to explain a stream to someone. (i.e: That 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/6 (k k d)d(kkkd)d(kkkd)d at 200bpm is a really hard pattern! Brackets are emphasizing the 1/3 and 1/6 and the notes not in bracket are 1/4)
  8. doubles - patterns in pairs of 2 (i.e: dd, kk, dk, kd are all doubles).
  9. quads - patterns in pairs of 4 (i.e dddd, kkkk, dddk, kkkd, ddkk, kkdd, dkkk, kddd, dkdd, kdkk, dkkd, kddk, dkdk, kdkd are all quads).
  10. monocolors / monostreams - something I kinda coined for use myself being a player who uses a ddkk playstyle. I use this to describe any streams that are all one color or have long sections of one color (i.e: 1/4 dddddddddddddddd or 1/6 (kkkkkkkkkk) are monocolors / monostreams)
That covers about all the terminology I can think of off the top of my head.

As for the second question, you're referring to 1/4+1/6 patterns is my best guess such as ddddkkkkdd(kkkd)d(kkkd) or other such examples. These patterns may take a little longer to learn as you're having to adjust your speed as you're streaming to compensate on top of reading the different spacing on these notes compared to 1/4 ones. Your best bet for practicing these are on lower bpm maps that have these patterns and working your way up much like you did when you first started to stream 1/4 patterns. Best of luck!
Zoggoth
@Tasha

Is the "recommended difficulty" in the search function a good place to start? Right now I'm doing random maps with "stars>4 bpm<241" but I could easily just sort by difficulty and play every map 5.4* (recommended) and up. I think I may have already messed up slightly by playing dkd and kdk with one hand, as I think it's messing up my speed and stamina on dkdk... streams
IControl
Maps With 1/6s in the middle of the streams?

I can do ddd(kkkd)kk fairly easily but I sometimes struggle with ddd(kkkd)dd or any generally any last note of the 1/6s that leads into the same color note as the 1/6 stream. Does anybody have any advice for a ddkk player? Also maps?
karterfreak

Zoggoth wrote:

@Tasha

Is the "recommended difficulty" in the search function a good place to start? Right now I'm doing random maps with "stars>4 bpm<241" but I could easily just sort by difficulty and play every map 5.4* (recommended) and up. I think I may have already messed up slightly by playing dkd and kdk with one hand, as I think it's messing up my speed and stamina on dkdk... streams
Whatever works for you. When I was learning I just played as many maps as I could get my hands on and tried to pass. It was pretty easy to tell which ones were too far out of my range (pattern complexity was too much / streams were too long for me to understand / etc.) and which ones were only slightly out of my range (~10 misses / FC but low acc). I'd just focus on the maps that I thought I could FC / improve my score on. As for your issues with dkd / kdk, make an effort to change it then. You'll notice a drop in skill initially but as you engrave into muscle memory how to do them the way you want to, you'll have less issues with it and you'll remove the problem you feel you have (speed / stamina) because of it.

IControl wrote:

Maps With 1/6s in the middle of the streams?

I can do ddd(kkkd)kk fairly easily but I sometimes struggle with ddd(kkkd)dd or any generally any last note of the 1/6s that leads into the same color note as the 1/6 stream. Does anybody have any advice for a ddkk player? Also maps?
The best advice I can give with regards to 1/4+1/6 (with 1/6 usually being quads) is to be incredibly comfortable with all of the different 1/6 on their own and be extremely familiar with knowing how much time there is between a 1/2 snap at a given bpm. Reason I find this useful is quads fit within the spacing of two notes at 1/2 snapping. (i.e d k at 1/2 snapping and (ddkk) at 1/6 snapping would both start and end at the same time). Knowing this you can play 1/4 until the first note of the 1/6, play the quad within the 1/2 timing window and continue on with your 1/4. As for reading individual patterns, try to think of ways you can get the muscle memory down faster. For example the ddd(kkkd)dd pattern you struggle with? imagine it as dddkkkddd 1/4, a pattern you're already used to. It's the same inputs just done at different snappings, so try and train your fingers to get used to the different snapping.
IControl
Ty tasha. This is what bursting is I guess.
HattuKeisari
ds
Appelkatt

HattuKeisari wrote:

I have problems with doing fast DK DK DKs (KD KD KDs). Any tips to improve?
TL;DR Practice, first and foremost.

They are pretty difficult, both to read and play. Understanding why they are difficult might help you out. As far as reading goes, I and probably a lot of others first started to learn to read patterns by taking small chunks, usually by their 1/4 structure, such as ddd, dkd, ddk, etc.. When you get into stuff like dd dk kk kd, you want to read them in individual parts but because they are smaller, you have to read more parts in a smaller amount of time. If this is the case, then continuing to try to play these notes is a good way to strengthen your ability to read overall, as you will naturally get faster. Eventually you will want to train yourself to read them in larger parts - in my above example, dd dk kk kd, this kind of pattern is somewhat common and I learned to just read it as a whole. Alternatively, since these notes frequently come in pairs, you can read them as if they were a quad, turning dd dk kk kd into dddk kkkd.

As far as playing them, they're difficult like quads in that if you're getting accustomed to having one hand play "main" notes and your other hand play "off" notes, such as always doing dkd as left/right/left, then it throws you off because you don't end the pattern with your main hand. The result is you have to make your main hand pause for a short amount of time, which goes against its muscle memory that you've been developing. The solution for this is nothing more than to just improve your muscle memory, although learning how to fully alternate will both help you handle these notes as well as help in a lot of other ways. If you think too hard on it, they can be rhythmically confusing, too.

Expect to mess up on them for a long time - even for my rank it's really easy for me to lose track of them, though. They're probably the second-hardest type of pattern for me to actually read and play.
tkdLolly
I'm having consistent trouble reading long streams at (un)reasonably high bpm;
and by 'long' I mean, say, >9 notes?

because I just can't follow them

Are there ways to read faster, or is it just a problem of grinding maps to obtain faster reflexes or muscle memory?
karterfreak
Once you get into longer streams reading and muscle memory are the two biggest things challenged. You have to be able to read the stream (without your eyes trailing down the lane / you falling behind in reading) as well as play it without really thinking about what buttons you need to press. If you just started getting into longer / more complex streams this is really hard at first. Only thing you can really do to get past that wall is work on more dense maps, even if lower bpm. As you get comfortable reading at lower bpms just work your way up to higher ones until you can read it without issue and your hands move on their own.
Edgar_Figaro
I have a problem counting notes. I am fine doing long monocolor streams as long as there are no notes after them. But if I have to do tapping of anything honestly above 6 notes of the same color and then it switch to the other color in the stream I will often miscount and over/under stream causing misses. It's not that I get off rythmn as I can usually Full 100% ACC all the notes in the stream it's just that I don't switch to the other color after the correct number of beats. Any tips on not making this silly mistake?
Raiden
^ I usually look where the opposite color is. If I recognize a full or 1/2 beat, I know it's with the same hand. If I don't recognize it, it means it's on an offbeat, so I'll use the opposite hand.
Swerro
I'm trying to learn to full alternate and it's going pretty well, I can play many combs of 3 and 5 bursts.
but once those bursts come in I keep starting them with my right hand (R-L-R-L-R) and then continueing the next singletaps (or next burst) again with my right hand.
I can do patterns, but I can't get used to not starting everything with my right hand.
Any tips on this?
(Like for example what kind of maps should I practice: harder maps or go back to easier maps)
Appelkatt

Swerro wrote:

I'm trying to learn to full alternate and it's going pretty well, I can play many combs of 3 and 5 bursts.
but once those bursts come in I keep starting them with my right hand (R-L-R-L-R) and then continueing the next singletaps (or next burst) again with my right hand.
I can do patterns, but I can't get used to not starting everything with my right hand.
Any tips on this?
(Like for example what kind of maps should I practice: harder maps or go back to easier maps)
Slower BPM, mostly. You want to find a spot where the BPM is low enough that you have enough time to think about which hand comes next, but not so much time that you remove the aspect of muscle memory. Then, you'll want to focus explicitly on improving where you're failing. For example, to get used to fully alternating such as rlrlr l r l ... then you have to actively rewrite your muscle memory - and then, once you start succeeding at it even slightly, swap it around and start doing that same pattern with lrlrl r l r ...

The most important thing is as you start to relearn the muscle memory, you have to shake it up slightly to prevent yourself from reforming non-alternate habits, especially when you're working on the muscle memory piecemeal.
Eeneehaww30PH
hey there! well, i'm a bit far now, but i would really like to have some tips from you.
any help on how to deal well with the sudden change of time measures? like you are doing well with 1/4 patterns around 160bpm? then some clusters of 1/8 appears. my hands end up being forced to hit them right, some were completed but mostly, it ends missed. that makes my hands more tired.

i've tried HT, but it seems to take me more longer to master them when returning to the original bpm.
any tips? or I only need patience?
roufou
You might want to try playing maps with streams that change from 1/3 to 1/4 (or vice versa), a large part of it is accuracy/rhythm based and if you get the hang of hitting notes on maps like those you might find it easier to go from that to faster stuff.

Could also try and see if you find maps that have easy 1/4 streams with 1/6 too, although finding the proper maps can be difficult.

The hardest part is probably the technique and reading, which isn't really too surprising.
tkdLolly

Eeneehaww30PH wrote:

hey there! well, i'm a bit far now, but i would really like to have some tips from you.
any help on how to deal well with the sudden change of time measures? like you are doing well with 1/4 patterns around 160bpm? then some clusters of 1/8 appears. my hands end up being forced to hit them right, some were completed but mostly, it ends missed. that makes my hands more tired.

i've tried HT, but it seems to take me more longer to master them when returning to the original bpm.
any tips? or I only need patience?
I think the problem lies in your speed. A 1/4 to 1/8 transition shouldn't practically make the beat more confusing. If you can't land hits simply because the notes are too fast, HT is a viable option to read, learn, and practise the patterns properly, then perhaps you can hit them quicker. It's like playing Galaxy Collapse without hitting everything because your hands aren't quick enough, unless you have HT, which is absolutely reasonable.

But with 160 BPM, I would say forget HT, and just practise the patterns individually on your desk or keyboard until you can play them up to speed, provided that the patterns aren't too long to practise playing without looking at the notes themselves. You can always use the Edit panel to practise a particular part repeatedly if absolutely necessary (unless the map is a convert). If you use HT you're basically turning 1/4 to 1/2 and 1/8 to 1/4 which doesn't help if you keep playing 1/8 like you would 1/4, because you won't be able to speed up without HT.

If it's streams that you have problems with, and you just can't read those easily on the spot, then HT ahead, and try memorising the stream a bit so you can hit it easier in future. Another option would be to try other stream maps at lower BPM (although 160 BPM is already quite slow).

Tempo changes can occur because of change in BPM, in which case you just hit faster overall.

More of a difficult change in tempo is 1/4 & 1/6, as it can be very confusing when you're hitting 1/4 and suddenly there are more notes at smaller intervals, then your accuracy and combo break. A good map to start learning how to deal with those is Hatsuki Yura - Yoiyami Hanabi [aabc's Oni]. Plenty of higher level maps have this type of tempo change, and as agu has mentioned, reading and technique are both important in playing these, and that's pretty much up to your experience.

Edit: I just had a quick look at your profile and saw that you could play some advanced maps. Just a thought, but maybe telling us what map you have trouble with would help us give you more useful advice for that particular situation.
Edgar_Figaro

tkdlolly wrote:

But with 160 BPM, I would say forget HT, and just practise the patterns individually on your desk or keyboard until you can play them up to speed, provided that the patterns aren't too long to practise playing without looking at the notes themselves. You can always use the Edit panel to practise a particular part repeatedly if absolutely necessary (unless the map is a convert). If you use HT you're basically turning 1/4 to 1/2 and 1/8 to 1/4 which doesn't help if you keep playing 1/8 like you would 1/4, because you won't be able to speed up without HT.
Actually half time makes everything 2/3 speed and not 1/2 (despite it being called half-time) just like DT makes everything 1.5x and not 2x
Hata-tan
I'm trying to get back into Taiko after my ban, but I realized that I've gotten so much worse accuracywise. Usually it was around 98% but now I end up messing up everything and ending up with 89 - 97% acc...except on easy shit like some Onis or qoot maps...
Well, also I realized that finishers make me mindblock so hard, especially if they are spammed like in Nwolfs Anima or in Onos TU4AR

Am I better off just ignoring the finishers and going for the FC/accuracy or should I consistently practice hitting every finisher just because everything else would be cheesing? I don't know about Taiko morals but ignoring finishers seems wrong to me and the fact that you don't break on them confused me since the beginning. But I guess it's fortunate :D
tkdLolly

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

tkdlolly wrote:

Actually half time makes everything 2/3 speed and not 1/2 (despite it being called half-time) just like DT makes everything 1.5x and not 2x
:o I just knew :o
The concept is similar, I guess ;)
tkdLolly

Hata-tan wrote:

I'm trying to get back into Taiko after my ban, but I realized that I've gotten so much worse accuracywise. Usually it was around 98% but now I end up messing up everything and ending up with 89 - 97% acc...except on easy shit like some Onis or qoot maps...
Well, also I realized that finishers make me mindblock so hard, especially if they are spammed like in Nwolfs Anima or in Onos TU4AR

Am I better off just ignoring the finishers and going for the FC/accuracy or should I consistently practice hitting every finisher just because everything else would be cheesing? I don't know about Taiko morals but ignoring finishers seems wrong to me and the fact that you don't break on them confused me since the beginning. But I guess it's fortunate :D
On finishers *sigh*

They are not compulsory to hit with both hands (at the moment) but they certainly give more points if you do.

If the finishers are confusing, then don't hit them, especially when you're not playing for points (like in multi), but for pp, because pp doesn't take into account your points, but your accuracy, so you don't have to get the extra points from finishers. If you break on a finisher, that would immediately mean a discount in pp, not to mention breaking your combo causes a loss in points as well.

The only Taiko moral you have to keep in mind is S(S) at all costs. 8-)
DJ Enetro
All too interesting, now that you consider it...

Not too long ago, I placed #15 on Ymir by MYTHOLOGIA, beatmap by MLREC, on Beginner difficulty (using FL, HD, and HR mods).

Then again, good osu! players are not judged by one song but by how they utilize patterns.

I am using the default zx/cv setup, and it seems that those ddk and kkd patterns put together seem to be fumbling me up. Maybe I should use xcv - vzx for them? It seemed smooth anyway.

Also, some general tips would be kindly appreciated. Thanks!
tkdLolly

DJ Enetro wrote:

All too interesting, now that you consider it...

Not too long ago, I placed #15 on Ymir by MYTHOLOGIA, beatmap by MLREC, on Beginner difficulty (using FL, HD, and HR mods).

Then again, good osu! players are not judged by one song but by how they utilize patterns.

I am using the default zx/cv setup, and it seems that those ddk and kkd patterns put together seem to be fumbling me up. Maybe I should use xcv - vzx for them? It seemed smooth anyway.

Also, some general tips would be kindly appreciated. Thanks!
Playing two notes with one hand is a legitimate style that I know a few high-level players use. But note that you may run into trouble when facing longer streams, as in ddkdk or ddkdkkdkd. If you can figure out what's going on, awesome. But if not, consider playing the regular alt instead. Especially if you play HR, you might see ddk coming, but be surprised when you see another dk following. Do you alternate or repeat another dk? How about dkd? It would be good to think your style through so that you can play whatever pattern comes next without having to think on the spot and fumble with your keyboard.

Personally, I play dk / kd on the same hand only when they come in pairs of notes so it doesn't interfere with my streams. Dexterity might be a problem when pairs of notes including dd & kk keep flushing down and you can't play all of them on one hand (DDKK/KKDD handswitch players certainly can). Alternating even with pairs of notes seems more like a mainstream way to play. For triplets and more, alternating all the way is definitely the norm. But ultimately it's your choice what kind of style you want to master. (I would seriously recommend alternating everything because it would be a lot less confusing in case of streams)

If your habit seems smooth to you, it may be difficult to change how you play, but given enough practice, you can rewrite your style altogether. I remember one of the first maps I played (Hige Driver join. SELEN - Dadadadadadadadadada [Oni]) has a lot of dk / kd's and short streams, and I used to play them all, albeit, then, with abysmal accuracy, with one hand. More ridiculously, I played dkddkkd with cvcxzvc. :o

But all these habits can be changed. When I had a better grasp of alternating and replayed the map some time later, I could play the entire map with ease and not be confused by anything (of course, with considerably higher accuracy :oops:).

I see that you've just started so picking up the mainstream alternate style shouldn't be a problem. It will eventually pay off. (Unless you switch to DDKK/KKDD, which is another story altogether)

I also played the default setup until beyond #5000. There's nothing wrong with it if you don't care about your fingers rarely touching each other and having to adjust the position of your hands or your keyboard to hit the keys. It's still KDDK.

My general tip to you is try to improve your accuracy. I had a quick look at your profile and your accuracy is not that high. Learning how to perfect your accuracy goes far when you grind for pp or even during multi, where tiny differences in accuracy can make a great difference. It takes a bit of time to start getting consistent 300's. Play easy maps and figure out what timing you have to hit the notes at. If the timing seems uncomfortable or awkward, change your offset.

Good luck with Taiko :D
Edgar_Figaro

tkdLolly wrote:

My general tip to you is try to improve your accuracy. I had a quick look at your profile and your accuracy is not that high. Learning how to perfect your accuracy goes far when you grind for pp or even during multi, where tiny differences in accuracy can make a great difference. It takes a bit of time to start getting consistent 300's. Play easy maps and figure out what timing you have to hit the notes at. If the timing seems uncomfortable or awkward, change your offset.
A few things I'd like to add for knowing if you should adjust your offset or not.

1. If you don't already make sure your score meter is set to hit accuracy. By this you can see if you are hitting early or late (especially good for watching through on replays so you can see if certain sections cause you to rush or lag behind)

2. When you finish a song hover the cursor over the graph at the bottom. This will give you two statistics your -x.xx/+x.xx & your Unstable Rate (UR). For the first number you want to try and get the +/- to be as close to the same absolute value as possible. So if you are say averages -10/+5 this means you are more often hitting notes early. Adjust the offset so this becomes more even. If this doesn't work than your problem is more likely in how you visually see the notes instead of how you hear the notes. In this case you can either try to a. look closer/further from the hit line so it meshes with your timing better or b. adjust the hit location in your skin.
tkdLolly

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

tkdLolly wrote:

A few things I'd like to add for knowing if you should adjust your offset or not.

1. If you don't already make sure your score meter is set to hit accuracy. By this you can see if you are hitting early or late (especially good for watching through on replays so you can see if certain sections cause you to rush or lag behind)

2. When you finish a song hover the cursor over the graph at the bottom. This will give you two statistics your -x.xx/+x.xx & your Unstable Rate (UR). For the first number you want to try and get the +/- to be as close to the same absolute value as possible. So if you are say averages -10/+5 this means you are more often hitting notes early. Adjust the offset so this becomes more even. If this doesn't work than your problem is more likely in how you visually see the notes instead of how you hear the notes. In this case you can either try to a. look closer/further from the hit line so it meshes with your timing better or b. adjust the hit location in your skin.
:o Another something I didn't know before. When I first started off, when I was tuning my offset, I simply moved it left and right until I found it suitable :P (which proved to be quite frustrating :?)
tkdLolly
Hello it's me again, this time with another question.

How does one train accuracy on DT? It always seems so difficult to grasp. :o
greedystar
How to train bpm for a single tap player? I've been trying to play 240bpm for ages but never seem to make progress.
Tyistiana

greedystar wrote:

How to train bpm for a single tap player? I've been trying to play 240bpm for ages but never seem to make progress.
As I'm a single tap player. It's very hard to tap 240 BPM or higher with your only single hand.
The best solution is, forget single tap play style. And begin the new playing style, alternate. (Completely 2 hands player.)
But if you tries to play single tap and want to play 240 bpm and above, no recommendation in this case.
I thought that the advantage of the single tap player is accuracy. One hand, easier to understand the rhythm.
But the big disadvantage of the single tap player is can't stream a very long pattern notes like Erehamonika remixed by kors k - Der Wald (Kors K Remix)
Okay, I'm single hand player and I can play this map well too, but the BPM problems ran to me too, I can't play stream's map which have a high BPM with my single tap style.
So for the profit in the long period, I'm very recommend you to change your play style to alternate.
Single tap player can't play the music which have a very high BPM. Why?
If you can play alternately, You can use 2 hands to tap the notes, which means you can divide the note you have to tap for 2 hands.
But how about single tap player? The main hand which you've use will be very fatigued from trying to tap the fast note.
Kurokotei - Galaxy Collapse will be a good reason why you shouldn't play single tap.
Because high BPM map is single tapper's nightmare.

tkdLolly wrote:

Hello it's me again, this time with another question.
How does one train accuracy on DT? It always seems so difficult to grasp. :o
Checked the OD of the map first. Did you know that if we compare the error's given of OD5 +DT compare to OD9. It's almost completely equal.
I guess you have to train OD2 or OD3 + DT first. Then, if you can play them well. (Like 99% above)
Just move to play OD4 +DT and OD5 +DT or above.
Very recommend to train to play DT with this map. MYTH & ROID - STYX HELIX
I'm not professional in taiko that much, so maybe my instruction will be useless. lmao :(
anti79
So I've been playing with a weird playstyle whre I begin every pattern with ny right hand, and then play it full alt.
For example, ddkkddk ddk kkd would turn into RLRLRLR RLR RLR.
It was ok until longer new patterns appeared. If there was something like ddkddkddkddk , I would break it down into repeating ddk. But as I can play ddk only starting with the right hand, it becomes slow and confusing. (RLRRLRRLR).
So I've decided to learn full alt, but the problem is I can't remember how did I finish the previous pattern, what hand was the last. And I continue to start everything with right hand.
What should I do?
gamestonk
Can someone explain to me what a kkdd playstyle is opposed to a kddk playstyle? I have literally 0 idea what this means. Trying to expand past Osu! STD so sorry for the stupid question.
Raiden
gamestonk

Raiden wrote:

Ohhh ok yeah that makes sense. Thanks lol
MovieZ

anti79 wrote:

So I've been playing with a weird playstyle whre I begin every pattern with ny right hand, and then play it full alt.
For example, ddkkddk ddk kkd would turn into RLRLRLR RLR RLR.
It was ok until longer new patterns appeared. If there was something like ddkddkddkddk , I would break it down into repeating ddk. But as I can play ddk only starting with the right hand, it becomes slow and confusing. (RLRRLRRLR).
So I've decided to learn full alt, but the problem is I can't remember how did I finish the previous pattern, what hand was the last. And I continue to start everything with right hand.
What should I do?
I was singletapping everything and playing even weirdest playstyle, I was playing DDK like left hand, right hand, right hand, etc, but then i suddenly decided to learn full alternating. It was really hard at first, but you must force your brain to use different hands everytime. Now I am not even thinking about my hands, my brain learnt it and it is easy now. But you must not be using your previous playstyle while re-learning, because it will make it more difficult to do. Personally I started my relearning from easiest songs, and it took about 3-6 days to learn full alternating.
amax
Hi!

I've been trying to play more Oni maps but there are just so many patterns I just cant hit. I stumble trying to hit the correct color on those long 4 or more note
patterns. I've tried different ways to do them but I'm just not sure how to. I know which colors should be pressed but my fingers just don't appreciate such strange patterns.

If it means anything, I can play almost any Muzukashii difficulty with relative ease, as long as it doesnt contain kiai parts with Oni patterns. I can almost DT them, actually. I 90% of the time play real taiko difficulties (rare seeing me play a convert.)
show more