forum

Obscure Retro Games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
adam2046
Found a totally legitimate Japanese NES game in the local totally real game store and took it home to play on your totally real Japanese NES that totally isn't an emulator?
Or perhaps your (not fake) parents bought you some cheap game for Christmas and it was awesome?

Post up old (possibly only somewhat) obscure games for the entertainment of others.
They don't necessarily have to be great (or good) games, as long as they're interesting in some way.
(Please keep your "Mario Bros. lololol" to a minimum, thank you.)
Edit: Might as well make this like the freeware game list and update just the first post.

NES
Summer Carnival '92 Recca
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recca

Fast paced fun shmup that's harder to play than it looks.
There's also a secret "Zanki Attack" mode that makes the game even harder by making all enemies explode into bullets when killed.
Very very rare and very very awesome game.

Sega Master System
My Hero
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_(video_game)

Port of an already pretty mediocre arcade game to the Sega Master System which is slightly worse on the SMS. I played quite a bit of it as a kid because I found the fact that enemies flew off into the air when you hit them and the main character's reaction to anything being curling up on the ground and holding his crotch to be absolutely hilarious...for whatever reason.
The game over screen is probably the nicest music in the game which is good since you'll see it a lot (I'm guessing all the music is based on actual pieces which are probably public domain or something).

Also the box art is hilariously bad (but mine didn't come with a box ;_;).

Bank Panic
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Panic

Notable both for being a fun bank management sim/shooter and for having a bloody catchy version of Dixie.
For some reason I really like the sound effects in this game despite them not really being anything special.

Arcade
Rohga: Armor Force/Wolf Fang
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Fang

A sidescrolling shooter where you pilot a mech and basically shoot a lot of stuff while listening to a pretty rocking soundtrack.
The gameplay isn't the best in the world but it's actually pretty damn fun. Plus the added mechanic of either using four different mechs or mix and matching their parts to make your own is cool (fan of type B).
There's a port to the Sega Saturn (which that video is from) which I think has harder difficulty settings or something, I don't really know since I haven't tried dow buying it yet.

SNES
The Firemen
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firemen (That's...not a very good article.)

This is a multi directional shooter where the enemies are different types of fire (except for the robots, who are still on fire at least). Even the boss battles are with massive fire enemies.
You also have a guy following you around who wields a fire axe that magically put out fires (also he's invincible).
There is a time limit on how long you can stay in one level of the game and you get limited continues which makes the game feel very arcadey. The game isn't very long but the difficulty starts ramping up when they introduce combinations of different fires like fire you have to duck under and fire you have to aim down to hit.

NeoGeo Pocket
SNK Vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash 1&2
SPOILER
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snk_vs._capcom_card_fighters_clash

Yeah, it's a card game using characters from various SNK and Capcom series. Sounds a bit lame (well I guess it is kind of).
But it is actually quite a fun card game and the system works very well which gets a slight upgrade in part 2.
There is a mostly finished English translation of part 2 out and reboot on the DS (which apparently isn't much like the other games and is pretty mediocre).
Also the first game has a place based on the Resident Evil mansion.
Pokebis

Play the first level and keep walking right. Just keep walking. Keeeeeeep walking... No, ignore the doors. Just keep going right.
awp
This thread feels like a repost. Oh well.

Bought a game today for the Atari 2600 called "Vanguard" because the cartridge art made it look like a shmup.

It is a shmup.

And it is awesome.
Nachy
I'm not entirely sure if these are really obscure, but eh

Metal Storm

Awesome fast paced gameplay and pretty good physics at its time

The Magic of Scheherazade

Fun little RPG, sort of a Final Fantasy+Legend of Zelda

LSD: The Dream Simulator

Interesting weird game, it's like Yume Nikki only in a first person perspective and tons of other mindfucks, levels are treated as days and some days are "flashbacks" which are non-playable cutscenes

Metal Marines

Awesome RTS game, it's your basic Rock, Paper Scissors kind of RTS but it was pretty well made and had some awesome units especially the titular mecha the Metal Marine
Xgor
Dunno if these are well known or not

The Flintstones: The Treasure of Sierra Madrock (SNES)

Pretty fun game I bought for like 10 years ago instead of DKC3.
The most unique part about this game is the overworld that plays like a combination of Mario party and Super Mario Bros 3.
It's pretty fun and the soundtrack is great. (Mainly those I uploaded on my Youtube page)

Burai Fighter (NES)

A game that my little-brother bought (But has it in another place) that he told me about. And i googled and DL it~
A shmup but this one you can shoot in every direction and the screen scrolls in most directions.
Pretty cool except for the overhead stages, those sucks!
Pokebis

NachoPiggy wrote:

LSD: Dream Emulator
I think you've hit the pinnacle of obscure there. I kind of want to see what this game would be like with today's more modern technology. I feel like the intentions of the creators would be much more pronounced. Like this video starts with faces on the wall and stuff. I doubt someone dreamt little green bitmap images on flat walls. I bet there was really a floor made of real, moving, maybe even talking, mouths. I could be wrong, but it's doable with modern technology.
Nakata Yuji
Moonwalker.
Topic Starter
adam2046

awp wrote:

This thread feels like a repost. Oh well.

Bought a game today for the Atari 2600 called "Vanguard" because the cartridge art made it look like a shmup.

It is a shmup.

And it is awesome.
I played a game of Vanguard yesterday. I remember either playing the original or Atari version before at some point but I can't really recall where or when.
Also:

Also updated my first post.
Nachy

Pokebis wrote:

NachoPiggy wrote:

LSD: Dream Emulator
I think you've hit the pinnacle of obscure there. I kind of want to see what this game would be like with today's more modern technology. I feel like the intentions of the creators would be much more pronounced. Like this video starts with faces on the wall and stuff. I doubt someone dreamt little green bitmap images on flat walls. I bet there was really a floor made of real, moving, maybe even talking, mouths. I could be wrong, but it's doable with modern technology.

Yeah, played it about a few years ago. Found out about it through searching through Yume Nikki stuff.

This site has a bunch of stuff about it, info, maps and all that.

Experimented and spent a lot of time on it back then. Really would love a modern remake of the idea.

There was supposed to be a Source Engine remake but it's pretty much abandoned now sadly :(
Pokebis

NachoPiggy wrote:

Yeah, played it about a few years ago. Found out about it through searching through Yume Nikki stuff.
I actually found Yume Nikki searching for stuff on LSD. Seriously. Anyways, I probably wouldn't like the Source Remake. I mean they could do something in the spirit of it, but not try to emulate it. You can't get what the creator was going for without the creator.
Nachy

Pokebis wrote:

NachoPiggy wrote:

I actually found Yume Nikki searching for stuff on LSD. Seriously. Anyways, I probably wouldn't like the Source Remake. I mean they could do something in the spirit of it, but not try to emulate it. You can't get what the creator was going for without the creator.
Wish that guy who had the dream journal was still active.
Leon Magnus
Sweet home for Famicom (NES)
Mogsy

Leon Magnus wrote:

Sweet home for Famicom (NES)
If you're going to make a recommendation, I'd probably suggest at least posting a video and a brief description of A) what the game is and B) why you find it so awesome. Luckily, this was what I was going to post, so I'll add to this.

Sweet Home (NES, JP only)

This is the grand-daddy of survival horror, considering it inspired Resident Evil. Based on an awful/low-budget horror movie of the same name, Sweet Home has you controlling five people investigating the deserted mansion of a famous painter so they can photograph and restore his frescos. The door locks on them as soon as they enter, though, and then they are pursued by the evils of the house, controlled by the former lady of the house. It's an RPG, yes, with random encounters. However, when a character dies, they cannot be revived. The thing is, though, you cannot take everyone with you at once, and they all have a specific item unique to them, so you have to plan your party based on what you will run into. Exceptionally fun, and there are five different endings, based on how you've played.

Don't expect to find it in your local vintage store; to play an actual copy of this, you need a Famicom. There is a translation patch online, though, in case you want to play it.
Topic Starter
adam2046
Added a few more to my first post.
I've been meaning to get around to playing Sweet Home for a while now...by "a while" I mean years. I've tried playing it before but I was just really shit at it.
Atmey

There is also another game I used to play, 2D platformer, the main character looks like Sindbad, he eats a pill and turns into a robot-dinosaur.
Topic Starter
adam2046
Monster Lair is one of my least favourite Wonder Boy/Monster World games but the music totally awesome, especially on the PC Engine CD arrangement with its electric guitars and whatnot.