forum

Anyone getting Windows 10?

posted
Total Posts
show more
[ Pingu ]
pfft, im gonna stick with my win 8.1 bae
BrokenArrow
New build 10041 is out, you heard it here first!
I'm updating right now

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2015 ... eview.aspx

EDIT: WOW they finally updated this thing after about 20 years

Offended
I'm going to wait until it's released since the majority of programs isn't compatible with the system. I'm not even sure if I might get it after it's released, I guess I'll wait until various problems will be found and then fixed so the experience can be a little flawless.
Factorial
Oh no, don't leak screenshots please.
Kingkevin30
the only reason i really dislike Windows 8 is because of its smartphony design and compabilty issues with soft/hard-ware
i don't know...i don't get why people like it...
kouzuki_karen
yes
[ Violet ]

Chokladboll wrote:

Kenshin wrote:

Will win 10 have the aero thingy left or will it finally be possible to use windowed mode? xD (for those who don't know win 8 forces aero to be on so you will have input lag in windowed games)
It is not aero, it's just taskbar/window tile translucency, which actually can be disabled with third-party software like Start8, or just enabling the AeroLite theme instead of the default theme.
Changing to other themes didn't remove the input lag for me. The only thing that actually worked was to shut down dmw.exe or w/e with some program but then basically the desktop turns black and you can't do anything else other than playing osu >.>
carolyfisher
It's actually available right now. c: I've got it on Dual Boot.
Also, Microsoft is also making it available free for people with pirated versions. XD
Parasyche
Windows 7 will forever be my favorite. Haven't read too much on Windows 10.
Rizumu Tenshi
Again deleted
See my userpage for Windows 10 randomness (as of 3 April 2015, 1:15 pm Cairo @ Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10041)
VLC set. Winamp set. HexChat set. Even ioTablet, my tablet driver, is set (screeny: DeSmuME).
Now I have half the 8.1 experience on 10. I still can't believe I went for Love Live! School Idol Project to test VLC :o
Shiyzo
I might get it, but Windows 98 is the best <3
xch00F

Riince wrote:

cant wait for none of my hardware to be compatible with this new overglossed piece of microshit garbage, and having to run everything in compatibility mode
it's like you dont know how operating systems work
xch00F

CuboidBeats wrote:

Windows 8 is decent.

*prepares for hate*
as someone who is a power-user
hyper-v built into the os is fucking sick
GSG95
I am looking forward to it. But I don't feel like I need it right now.
Zelda

carolyfisher wrote:

Also, Microsoft is also making it available free for people with pirated versions. XD
XDDDDD
No they aren't.

On topic though, I don't know. Lots of things I like about Windows 10, but then there's no search function integrated in the start menu (Cortana is now its own thing and hotkey is Win+S wtf), and the start menu doesn't accept any keyboard input whatsoever. These two things alone are pretty dealbreaking to me.
Flanster

Zelda wrote:

carolyfisher wrote:

XDDDDD
No they aren't.

On topic though, I don't know. Lots of things I like about Windows 10, but then there's no search function integrated in the start menu (Cortana is now its own thing and hotkey is Win+S wtf), and the start menu doesn't accept any keyboard input whatsoever. These two things alone are pretty dealbreaking to me.
I wasnt thinking of moving to Windows 10 anytime soon but now I'm pretty much convinced to never do it.
Corin

Zelda wrote:

carolyfisher wrote:

XDDDDD
No they aren't.

Wow it's just like you're quoting invalid facts!!!!!!
Oh wait! You are!

http://corin.s-ul.eu/VtUSqLWi
http://corin.s-ul.eu/YyHwbmxY

Good job at those facts!
BrokenArrow
People are always gonna find reasons to keep using their outdated OS and complain about minor issues that are apparent in a technical preview
D33d

Zelda wrote:

carolyfisher wrote:

XDDDDD
No they aren't.

I think it's pretty safe to say that any quirks like that are solely a result of it being a preview. The menu lost the ability to resize due to the switch to XAML/unification with the mobile side, but that'll be back as things progress (I fucking hope). Cortana's also not in its final state by a long shot--I can't find the article, but it's going to look a lot sleeker and more usable. Also, I've never had any problem with its search function, let alone having to go back to win+S. It might've had that quirk in 9928 or something, but certainly not now.

Why, though, did Corin's videos need offensive music blaring out of them? It's completely unnecessary.
Trash Boat
I couldn't agree more with you, D33d. ABSOLUTELY unnecessary
Corin
Then mute it, I was just listening to it at the time.
I'm not about to mute my music for a quick 5 second video :/
ZenithPhantasm
Depends if there's input lag or not.
troke
Windows 10 Can't start without Internet :#
Zelda

D33d wrote:

I think it's pretty safe to say that any quirks like that are solely a result of it being a preview. The menu lost the ability to resize due to the switch to XAML/unification with the mobile side, but that'll be back as things progress (I fucking hope). Cortana's also not in its final state by a long shot--I can't find the article, but it's going to look a lot sleeker and more usable. Also, I've never had any problem with its search function, let alone having to go back to win+S. It might've had that quirk in 9928 or something, but certainly not now.

Why, though, did Corin's videos need offensive music blaring out of them? It's completely unnecessary.
Come to think of it, I did have 9928 at the time I wrote that post, if they've fixed those issues in a newer build that's great. And yes, I realize that it's a preview aka. beta and that things can change. I'll probably go and download a new ISO to install on my laptop sometime soon to play around with it some more, since 9928 for some reason said there were no updates like 4 days ago.

As for Corin's videos, don't know don't care. I haven't watched them and I don't intend to.
Rizumu Tenshi
Those with Windows 10 installed your builds expire at a late date except those behind 9926
Mine is 10041 and forever 10041 till an update comes, in the Slow ring, and expires 2 October 2015 weee~

Need to check?
Windows+R --> "winver" --> "Evaluation copy" line. profit if it expires in October :D

-Troke- wrote:

Installation is what needs the internet. I once forgot and left the Wi-Fi off, booted to 8.1 like I didn't install 10. When I booted into 10, it worked. It's JUST the installation.
Espionage724

Baka Tenshi wrote:

-Troke- wrote:

Installation is what needs the internet. I once forgot and left the Wi-Fi off, booted to 8.1 like I didn't install 10. When I booted into 10, it worked. It's JUST the installation.
It's the initial setup that requires Internet, and it only seems to be on later builds (can confirm it on 10051). If the internet isn't connected, you'll reboot as soon as you get to the login step.

I disable the internet connection on 8.1 during setup, and don't connect it until I do some initial settings on my install (such as disabling Windows Updates). Reason for this is, Microsoft thought it was a good idea to have WU automatically download some outdated graphics driver for me without even asking.
Rizumu Tenshi

Espionage724 wrote:

It's the initial setup that requires Internet, and it only seems to be on later builds (can confirm it on 10051). If the internet isn't connected, you'll reboot as soon as you get to the login step.

I disable the internet connection on 8.1 during setup, and don't connect it until I do some initial settings on my install (such as disabling Windows Updates). Reason for this is, Microsoft thought it was a good idea to have WU automatically download some outdated graphics driver for me without even asking.
Did you take your time reinstalling the graphics driver but instead of the installed version, the latest version, if you KNOW it works? Intel did NOT prepare an HD Graphics driver for Win10 but the latest version, which is supposed to be incompatible with 10, works on 10. If you use a Radeon or GeForce, see AMD or NVIDIA's websites and good luck installing!

Oh, I needed the HD Graphics driver for osu! to play at a good framerate on Win10. Realtek HD Audio is for further configuration of the speakers, hehe~ (like balance, which is a setting I set up frequently; my right ear is weaker than the left)

OK wtf I'm writing on Windows 8.1, gotta finish messing with FontForge then go back to Windows 10
Zelda

Baka Tenshi wrote:

If you use a Radeon or GeForce, see AMD or NVIDIA's websites and good luck installing!
Then you grab the Windows 8.1 driver and everything is fine. It'll install and work with no issues on Windows 10.
BrokenArrow
Build 10061 is available through Windows Update, I'm really excited for this one
QuiteDizzy
Hmm mby ill take it xD
Rizumu Tenshi

Zelda wrote:

Baka Tenshi wrote:

If you use a Radeon or GeForce, see AMD or NVIDIA's websites and good luck installing!
Then you grab the Windows 8.1 driver and everything is fine. It'll install and work with no issues on Windows 10.
I did that with my HD Graphics yo (integrated only here)

BrokenArrow wrote:

Build 10061 is available through Windows Update, I'm really excited for this one
Slow ring masterrace (still 10041, ahaha)
BrokenArrow

Baka Tenshi wrote:

BrokenArrow wrote:

Slow ring masterrace (still 10041, ahaha)
Newest one is 10074 which got just released about 12 hours ago :P
Microsoft made an official ISO file available of the build so you might as well use that one.

For some reason most of the localizations seem to be missing in the latest build (at least in the German version many tooltips are English now) but apart from that the build is really stable for me.
Mati_old_1
I prefer Hackintosh because Apple > Microsoft.
Michel
I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but the reason I'm not moving to Windows 10 is because of Microsoft's Privacy Policy. They allow themselves to collect data on: your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage.

Someone please clarify if I'm wrong
BrokenArrow
a) You can always choose not to use Cortana, that way you will at least be able to keep some of your privacy

b) A Microsoft account is only neccessary to participate in the Technical Preview and will remain optional at the final release

c) The built-in keylogger is only present in the Technical Preview and will eventually vanish by the time Windows gets oficially released
Cyclohexane
I rarely use windows either way, but I haven't had any reason to switch to 8, much less to 10.
HaibokuShounen
i have a pc with windows 10, not the one I am using right now though.
CalmirageD88
Due to compatibility issues, I keep my Windows 7..
Windows 8 had greater performance than Windows 7, but not when playing games..
I'm gamer, but I can't upgrade my computer, I stay with seven
Rizumu Tenshi
Internet's back at home so TIME TO JUMP TO 10074 YAY!
*reboots into 10*
AutoMedic
I heard windows 7 and 8 users are entitled for a free upgrade on the year of the release

I'm looking forward to DirectX 12 tho, and see how much performance gains can we get in gaming
show more