forum

Anyone getting Windows 10?

posted
Total Posts
show more
D33d

Riince wrote:

cant wait for none of my hardware to be compatible with this new overglossed piece of microshit garbage, and having to run everything in compatibility mode
Unless you've been slumming it with XP and ancient components, pretty much everything will either be compatible or will otherwise have compatible drivers available for download.

I'm running the preview as a dualboot and it's slowly looking nicer--other than the icons.

Thankfully, they'll likely be changed in later releases. The things I'm enjoying the most are the proper tiling and the slicker UI. I'd add the start menu to that, but it sort of took a step backwards while Microsoft finalise its Continuum functionality. As a whole, it looks like the whole OS is going to look a lot more sexy and current by release, or at least better at all. It's supposed to release during June, so here's hoping that progress is rapid from build to build.
BrokenArrow
A new build is most likely going to be released later this week, could even be today if we're lucky
I actually think the folder icons are one of the better ones, the trash bin and drive icons that were leaked some time ago look far worse in comparsion.. ugh.
I hope they're going to unify the new context menus, title bar, etc. with the next build and also bring back some of the functionality of the start menu

While we're at it, can't we make this a "let's talk Windows 10 TP" thread" for the few people that actually do support what Microsoft is doing?
D33d

BrokenArrow wrote:

A new build is most likely going to be released later this week, could even be today if we're lucky
I actually think the folder icons are one of the better ones, the trash bin and drive icons that were leaked some time ago look far worse in comparsion.. ugh.
I hope they're going to unify the new context menus, title bar, etc. with the next build and also bring back some of the functionality of the start menu

While we're at it, can't we make this a "let's talk Windows 10 TP" thread" for the few people that actually do support what Microsoft is doing?
I can say that I definitely like the general concept of the icons. However, they're a) a touch garish for me and b) too childish for me a the moment. I really liked the initial icons, so I'm hoping against hope that there's a comprehensive pack of them in the final version.

The next build doesn't appear to be changing much, but if it's got the new Start codebase and general polish, then I'll be quite happy.

We should make this a thread for general chatter though--even though I made one a while ago, this one seems to be getting some buzz. It'd be great for linking articles and such.
Vuelo Eluko

D33d wrote:

Unless you've been slumming it with XP
I am.
D33d

Riince wrote:

D33d wrote:

Unless you've been slumming it with XP
I am.
Even then, unless literally everything you run is stuck in 2003, you'd be unlikely to have compatibility issues and you wouldn't be running on an OS with hacked-together security fixes. 7's generally solid enough, but 10's gonna be mega-efficient. 8 already was and users have already said that 10's got performance improvements out the wazoo.
Vuelo Eluko
ever since the vista-7 fiasco i dont trust microsoft

im gonna wait it out and see what happens- for at least a year. even then im probably just going to transition into linux
Zelda
I think the real question here is, where did the search bar in the start menu go ?
IppE

Zelda wrote:

I think the real question here is, where did the search bar in the start menu go ?
It'll be replaced with a Bing Bar in the near future.
Zelda
Please no
KatsuraKotonoha
will move to windows 10 mainly DirectX 12
trebby
Windows 8 is decent.

*prepares for hate*
Friendan

CuboidBeats wrote:

Windows 8 is decent.

*prepares for hate*
but it's objectively true, don't listen to nostalgia-fags.
PatZar
wins 10 cirno extreme edition
[Min]
I won't be since alot of the games I play wouldn't be able to support windows 10..
Or am I missing something here?
Dyallo
I'm fine with w7, maybe in a few months I upgrate to w8
Factorial
Yes Yeas Yeaes

(And managed to run osu on it!)

Maybe NO
Rizumu Tenshi

Neil Leo wrote:

Yes Yeas Yeaes

(And managed to run osu on it!)

Maybe NO
How do you run osu! on Win10 if peppy himself doesn't know Win10? Only few apps are prepared for Win10, including VLC

4GB RAM
Install VirtualBox to try Win10 on the virtual machine? Maybe 8GB RAM will help. Try 4GB?
[ Violet ]
Will win 10 have the aero thingy left or will it finally be possible to use windowed mode? xD (for those who don't know win 8 forces aero to be on so you will have input lag in windowed games)
Factorial

Baka Tenshi wrote:

How do you run osu! on Win10 if peppy himself doesn't know Win10? Only few apps are prepared for Win10, including VLC

4GB RAM
Install VirtualBox to try Win10 on the virtual machine? Maybe 8GB RAM will help. Try 4GB?
I have 2GB RAM

I installed a Technical Preview, installed framework 3.5 and run osu! but I can't play any beatmaps.
No music is playing either...
Nameless
I do plan to grab that free upgrade at some point when Win 10 is released, getting the majority of my files back is a bit of a hassle though.
Chokladboll

Kenshin wrote:

Will win 10 have the aero thingy left or will it finally be possible to use windowed mode? xD (for those who don't know win 8 forces aero to be on so you will have input lag in windowed games)
It is not aero, it's just taskbar/window tile translucency, which actually can be disabled with third-party software like Start8, or just enabling the AeroLite theme instead of the default theme.
Rizumu Tenshi
Because I'm hyped, I installed Windows 10 January Technical Preview and it's running, now I'm just going to do something, then I'm set to do ANYTHING with the new OS. dw, I can run 10 and 8.1, but I'm not telling how.
BrokenArrow
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about, your last post doesn't make any sense to me either
Rizumu Tenshi
Didn't want to say I'm using VirtualBox
Just need to grant Windows 10 access (read & edit--Shared Folders won't work) to the new partition I just created then I'm fully ready for Windows 10
Courage
I installed windows 10 ( Windows Technical Preview ) on my custom built PC. Works like a charm. There are still some minor bugs, but overall I think it's better than windows 8. :)
TakuMii
Probably going to stick to 7 for now... I'm one of the only people who actually liked 8.1's interface on my desktop, but Microsoft patched up a few things behind the scenes so that some driver hacks wouldn't work with it. I need the HIDUSBF polling rate hack for my Playstation controllers to work properly with rhythm games, so upgrading probably won't be an option for me.
Friendan

YayMii wrote:

for my Playstation controllers to work properly with rhythm games
what
TakuMii

Friendan wrote:

YayMii wrote:

for my Playstation controllers to work properly with rhythm games
what
osu's not the only rhythm game in the world, you know
some games require special controllers, and just happen to have very strict timing windows
[ Pingu ]
pfft, im gonna stick with my win 8.1 bae
BrokenArrow
New build 10041 is out, you heard it here first!
I'm updating right now

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2015 ... eview.aspx

EDIT: WOW they finally updated this thing after about 20 years

Offended
I'm going to wait until it's released since the majority of programs isn't compatible with the system. I'm not even sure if I might get it after it's released, I guess I'll wait until various problems will be found and then fixed so the experience can be a little flawless.
Factorial
Oh no, don't leak screenshots please.
Kingkevin30
the only reason i really dislike Windows 8 is because of its smartphony design and compabilty issues with soft/hard-ware
i don't know...i don't get why people like it...
kouzuki_karen
yes
[ Violet ]

Chokladboll wrote:

Kenshin wrote:

It is not aero, it's just taskbar/window tile translucency, which actually can be disabled with third-party software like Start8, or just enabling the AeroLite theme instead of the default theme.
Changing to other themes didn't remove the input lag for me. The only thing that actually worked was to shut down dmw.exe or w/e with some program but then basically the desktop turns black and you can't do anything else other than playing osu >.>
carolyfisher
It's actually available right now. c: I've got it on Dual Boot.
Also, Microsoft is also making it available free for people with pirated versions. XD
Parasyche
Windows 7 will forever be my favorite. Haven't read too much on Windows 10.
Rizumu Tenshi
Again deleted
See my userpage for Windows 10 randomness (as of 3 April 2015, 1:15 pm Cairo @ Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10041)
VLC set. Winamp set. HexChat set. Even ioTablet, my tablet driver, is set (screeny: DeSmuME).
Now I have half the 8.1 experience on 10. I still can't believe I went for Love Live! School Idol Project to test VLC :o
Shiyzo
I might get it, but Windows 98 is the best <3
xch00F

Riince wrote:

cant wait for none of my hardware to be compatible with this new overglossed piece of microshit garbage, and having to run everything in compatibility mode
it's like you dont know how operating systems work
show more