forum

Beatmaps Contests!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
What about making some contests?!

We choose a song, everybody has a week to complete the beatmap..
Than we make a poll and the TOP3 will be chosen for online ranking.
chan
I was thinking of something similar, but maybe not so specific. Like, say, make a beatmap for a song with +200bpm or for a live song, or some other kind of theme like a particular artist, songs featuring about a theme.

Now that I'm ranting, I thought up of all kind of crazy ideas like note counts between a certain range, making a song entirely out of sliders, not using sliders, etc.

On another note, do you think that there could be a more substantial prize awarded, or do you think that the glory of making a popular beatmap under constraints will prove to be enough motivation for beatmappers to participate?
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
Prizes? Maybe, in the future.. :o
At the moment WE shold make donations to peppy.. not peppy to us.. :lol:

I was thinking about putting the winners in the same *.osz and, instead of calling the various versions [Easy] [Medium] and so on..
Call them [by JacoPOP], [by chan] etc..

I think this will be a way to decrease the number of mediocre songs and rise their quality.
chan

JacoPOP wrote:

Prizes? Maybe, in the future.. :o
At the moment WE shold make donations to peppy.. not peppy to us.. :lol:
Couldn't agree more. I was thinking more along the lines of competition awards going into stats, and maybe people who start the competition could offer something to winners (no idea what though)

Competitions do sound like a great way to get beatmappers involved. Not only in the competition participation but also in beatmap judgement. I'd start a competition thread now but I don't have time to judge, so this will have to wait.
chan
Double posting, but oh well.
Do you think that maybe we should have a playing contest some time?
Like, first announce the contest and state which beatmaps will be included (so that entrants can download and practice), then have everyone competing play through all the beatmaps included. Entrants will be judged on accuracy and score, as well as max combo.

Or even better, string together all the songs listed and have everyone play until there's only one person who hasn't failed. I imagine that'd be something like an endurance contest hehehe. Well, you'd select the difficulty to start easy and get progressively harder.

Anyway, this is just a thought for the future, when I actually have time to play and make beatmaps.
peppy
I like your thinking chan. I wonder how many people would be interested!
eyup
I've got another idea. Have one person make a beatmap (which nobody else has seen yet), and post it up. Then everyone else has 10 attempts to get the highest score. The top 3 are immortalized in bronze (or get some other sort of recognition, say in their profile - I like the immortalized in bronze idea though).

The beatmap would have to be not so hard that it deters less adept players, but not so easy that better players can easily crank out an S rank.
chan
Yeah, I've already submitted (PM-ed) a proposed concept for a beatmap contest to Peppy, I really hope it falls through coz I think it's a pretty hax idea. There are issues with your suggestion such as preventing people from running the .osu file through the editor, but I like your thinking!

Also, I'm not sure about what kind of incentive can be provided to contestants. Like, maybe I can make beatmaps for them but I doubt anyone would really want that. Hopefully being immortalised in a precious metal/glorified in the contest topic/forum will be enough incentive to draw in a healthy amount of competitors.
Extor
I prefer the inmortalization. But with Ivalset and eyup around, it will be a though competition... (But I wanna see how they beat eachother out with the scores) XD
peppy
I'm all for this stuff. Chan submitted an excellent proposal which I'll definitely make happen. Set for sometime next month - hopefully we can get quite a few people interested before then.

While I can't offer prizes of monetary, I'm sure we can organise some cool stats and forum goodies for winners :).
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
Here I am..

Each kind of contest would be great for the community!
Hitoshirenu Shourai
I agree, though I think it would be best if we waited maybe a month or two for many more players to show up. It's not fun when eyup and Ivalset are the ones that'd win, hands down.
Ivalset
Pfft.

eyup would school me so hard if it was in 10 tries, I'd probably die for the first nine.
chan
Yeah, I've been thinking of ways to make a level playing field. My plan is to make a song list based on requests and the official beatmap listing and provide contestants adequate time to practice, and then asses the first attempt on the competition day. Probably no-fail should be automatically implemented...
Also, how do you guys feel about playing in excess of 30 minutes continuously? No escape key pauses, no menu screens, no score screens after finishing a song. What length would you be willing to play continuously?
Ivalset
Whatever it takes for immortalization.
chan

Ivalset wrote:

Whatever it takes for immortalization.
That's the perfect attitude for my schemes... plans... I hope we can muster more people who think like you, otherwise your/their glory won't be the same. Personally, I'd like to do this but as I'm organising this, I don't think I should be immortalized/assessed. I will partake in the competition however!
peppy

chan wrote:

and then asses the first attempt on the competition day.
Nice typo :P. When reading that, I thought you were going to say something like

"and then the asses that passed on first attempt would be disqualified"
eyup
*immortalizes Ivalset in ASCII :mrgreen:*

I V A L S E T

Anyway, can't wait to see how Chan's grand plan goes! I think Ivalset's practicing already...
Ivalset
Always practicin'.

Always.

Most of the time.

A good portion of my day.

Usually when I have time.
also don't think I didn't see that Extor immortalization!
eyup
*immortalizes peppy and Extor in ASCII as well :mrgreen:*

p e p p y

E x t o r
Extor
Now if my monitor screen was made of bronze...
Echo
So, it's been a month, anyone ready to start this, or make some more detailed plans?
chan
Yeah, I need to talk this over with peppy, not sure if any coding will be required specifically for a contest. Will definitely try to get a decision as to going ahead with one or not tonight and if one does, a notification will most likely accompany it. From memory, I think we have some substantial plans, but I probably need to discuss these with some mods/peppy.

Been pretty busy with exams/badminton/work/vacation work/girlfriend so osu! has taken a back seat for a while. But it's good that exams are over now :)
Echo
There's no way one beatmap will suffice, since the level of skill varies so much. I'm thinking one song, but multiple levels of difficulty. You can pick one to enter, or one is picked for you based on your ranked score. Or, there should be some incentive to play the harder level rather than the easier levels.

Also, I'm thinking not a limited number of plays but a limited amount of time, such as one day since the beatmap release.

Then there should be the usual "mapper can't compete" rule, but should be be acknowledged as the mapper for that particular contest somewhere.
eyup
Okay, this is a just a post letting everyone know that the idea of a Contest is far from dead. Since chan seems to be MIA, AWOL or BBQed, I've decided to take on the responsibility of organizing the contest. Here are some preliminary details.

1. Three categories: Beginner, Intermediate and Expert, corresponding to an Easy, Normal and Hard beatmap of a single song.
  2. Each member is only permitted to register for ONE category, so you will have to choose carefully.
  3. The maps will be open to competition play for a duration of one week. During this time you can clock up as many plays as you wish.
  4. The highest score from each category is the category winner.
  5. Prizes in the form of custom forum ranks and perhaps a nice signature pic or avatar will be up for grabs for each category winner. Additional prizes for accuracy and other stats are being considered.
  6. The beatmaps will be made by me (eyup) and will be reviewed by two other mods prior to being released for competition. The three of us will be ineligible to enter the contest.
  7. To ensure a level playing field, use of modifiers (e.g. Hidden mode) will NOT be allowed in the Contest.
I still need to find time to sort out some details with peppy, but I'll try and finish the beatmaps first. Feel free to discuss other features/rules you would like added or removed, speculate on the song choice, et cetera! When I think the competition is about ready, I'll start a new thread.
Echo
there should be some incentive to play the harder level rather than the easier levels
We don't want someone with eyup/Ivalset's skill playing in the easy category =P
chan
Can you base difficulty elligibility on rank/score/accuracy stats? Like forcing people like Ivalset to take the hardest difficulty, and leaving all difficulties open to really lowly ranked players.
eyup
Not too sure about forcing difficulties. I've heard Echo49 say that he'd rather enter in Easy because it's easier to win. Hopefully that was jokingly because honestly that kind of attitude towards anything in life is pretty poor, really. Also hopefully only a small number of players will have that sort of approach. If you're in the top 20, be a man, do the right thing and join Expert :P

Actually, thinking back to the Beginner difficulty, the winner will most likely be decided by spinner bonus, which means it will actually be HARDER to win on that difficulty. Conversely, if you have the skillz and can S-rank Expert, that will most probably put you in the Top 5 at least.

Progress report: Easy and Normal difficulties completed (Easy almost made me cry whilst making it), Hard is about 25% done. They are quite different so they take a bit of time to do. Plus I'm very busy this week so probably no comp until next week.