Sub
89.08%
Dub
10.92%
Total votes: 229
show more
Mogsy

colonelkickass1 wrote:

I like Sub because it has more emotion then Dub.
Although some Dubs can be just as good if not better.
It all depends on context here, again.

My big thing when it comes to typical Japanese voice acting archetypes is that there tends to typically be a more over-the-top and melodramatic timbre in vocal delivery, with the voice type relying very heavily on archetypes as well. It's not bad per se, it's just that the standouts tend to be fewer and further between (on both the extremely good and extremely bad side). I prefer my Japanese dubbing a bit more naturalistic, personally, but that very rarely happens (it comes down to script and vocal direction in that case; best examples are Beck and Paradise Kiss for me).

English dubs can have plenty of emotion, as well, but again, the adapted scripted and direction need to be there to make those emotional beats successful. It's gotten a lot better in terms of quality within the past 5 or 6 years, compared to say 10-15 years ago where we pretty much had, uh, Cowboy Bebop for really fantastic dubs.
Volta
by watchin subs, you can learn japanese by reading the subtitles while hear the original voice. and can still enjoy the story. even if it's not significant at least we can know some japanese vocabulary

onii-chan, peace peace
Green Platinum

Flying Pan wrote:

by watchin subs, you can learn japanese by reading the subtitles while hear the original voice. and can still enjoy the story. even if it's not significant at least we can know some japanese vocabulary

onii-chan, peace peace
I feel this is a point against subs because it just causes people to drop Japanese words into otherwise completely English (or other language) sentences. Then you also get those sub groups that choose to keep certain words untranslated, sure you pick them up if you watch enough but it is really only unhelpful to new fans while providing nothing to more experienced fans aside maybe stroking their egos.

I feel if you learned Japanese exclusively from subbed anime you'd get your point across by just chanting kawaii or moe. Alongside actual lessons is probably fair though.
edisk
Sub>Dub. though subs are not 90-100% accurate a lot of times...
ShiroNekomura
Sub
Green Platinum

ShiroNekomura wrote:

Sub
Then just vote. Comments like this are not constructive.
7ambda
I guess it depends what company is translating it. For example, Funimation produces some really good dubbed series like Fairy Tail, while other websites that attempt to translate the same thing sound goddamn awful. I still prefer dub since I'd rather get the full immersion while watching than having to speed read the text.
Fezzes_old
Sub since the original voice acting tends to fit much better most of the time.. in my opinion.
-Nya-

F1r3tar wrote:

I guess it depends what company is translating it. For example, Funimation produces some really good dubbed series like Fairy Tail, while other websites that attempt to translate the same thing sound goddamn awful. I still prefer dub since I'd rather get the full immersion while watching than having to speed read the text.

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
-Nya-

Fezzes wrote:

Sub since the original voice acting tends to fit much better most of the time.. in my opinion.

I totally agree with you on that.
Justykanna

-Nya- wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
Yup, that's me.
I actually never hear people use this as their reason so I thought I was alone for the said reason.
yumi
The only acceptable dub is Cowboy Bebop
Green Platinum

heyitskry wrote:

Is this because you've seen every dub or is it because you are just elitist and really have no clue what you are talking about?
Mikichiyo

therealhashtag wrote:

I prefer Sub. If I watch Dub and after that Sub I always think about how bad it is.

Sometimes Dub can also be very good, but I still prefer the ''original''
Justykanna

heyitskry wrote:

So what other dubs have you watched and why were they horrible?
Examples, people!
Gumpy

-Nya- wrote:

But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
Green Platinum

Gumpyyy wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
The shows with the fasted talking also never get dubbed
Zuikaku
Sub all the way.
The voice acting just suits way better imo. When I hear dub it sounds so exaggerated and full of sarcasm :|
Green Platinum

Poisonmellon wrote:

Sub all the way.
The voice acting just suits way better imo. When I hear dub it sounds so exaggerated and full of sarcasm :|
Subs are much more exaggerated. lol
Szymek
I am not a dub fan. I just find it odd sometimes.
Tetsumine
Sub FTW!! I prefer subbed so I could learn Japanese /kid
brunn08
In my opinion sub is much better than dub :P
EneT
I prefer sub but I think ppl trash on dub way too much, there are several good dubs out there if you actually took the time to review them. I take the time to review the dubbed versions of anime's that I like to some degree and I think you ppl should too, you'd be surprised to know that Toradora! actually has really good dub and I watched Gurren Lagann and Code Geass dubbed my first time watching them. Mainly because of Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal and wanting to hear Steven Blum voice act a gay character.

[Edit]For an anime like Gurren Lagann especially, with all the shit that comes out of their mouth, it makes it even more memorable when heard in a language that is native to you
-ryusakihatsue-

Poisonmellon wrote:

Sub all the way.
yes dub makes me feel like that sometimes too, like sometimes the VA didn't bother listening to how the tone's like in the original version

i'm fine with dub but if you watch an episode of sub then the dub, the dub sounds pretty bad

IMO, most people watch dub because it's more convenient? from what i've heard from a few friends, they cant read subs and watch at the same time... but ofc i guess there are definitely people out there who like watching dubs just because... well they like dubs

i prefer subs bc it sounds more natural and the quality is nicer, ofc the japanese too hahaha (and i prefer reading bc it's harder to miss out stuff as compared to when i have to listen)
Green Platinum

-ryusakihatsue- wrote:

yes dub makes me feel like that sometimes too, like sometimes the VA didn't bother listening to how the tone's like in the original version

i'm fine with dub but if you watch an episode of sub then the dub, the dub sounds pretty bad

IMO, most people watch dub because it's more convenient? from what i've heard from a few friends, they cant read subs and watch at the same time... but ofc i guess there are definitely people out there who like watching dubs just because... well they like dubs

i prefer subs bc it sounds more natural and the quality is nicer, ofc the japanese too hahaha (and i prefer reading bc it's harder to miss out stuff as compared to when i have to listen)
What this doesn't make any sense.

-Japanese has far more exaggerated screaming in reaction to the most menial things. Provide some examples of where the dub is exaggerated but the sub is collected.

-The opposite is true have you heard the absolute garbage that is the Black Lagoon sub, hell in Code Geass they can't even say the protagonists name correctly.

-How are dubs more convenient? If the series is dubbed it comes with multi audio and subbed can be easily pirated. The only stuff that are difficult to find subbed no one watches anyway like Crush Gear Turbo or Hamtaro.

-The only reason you find Japanese audio more natural is probably because you have no comparison. The Japanese I have heard in life hardly resembles anime but also I can pick up on the nuances in English that very likely I miss in Japanese. just because I am ignorant of them in Japanese doesn't make it more natural. Also you are going to miss much more in a sub because you spend all that time reading the damn subtitles.

You may have had a case over 10 years ago but stop pretending you know anything about what you actively avoid.
[Superstar]_old
I simply like japanese voices more than english/german ones. That is why I rarely watch dubs. Whenever I get my hands on some dual audio release I always check out the English language, but also always end up just switching back to japanese.

Dubs I actually liked are the English dubs of Psycho-Pass and Angel Beats! And the German dub of Death Note. So it is not like I am completely against it, just a preference thing.
-ryusakihatsue-

Green Platinum wrote:

-ryusakihatsue- wrote:

What this doesn't make any sense.

-Japanese has far more exaggerated screaming in reaction to the most menial things. Provide some examples of where the dub is exaggerated but the sub is collected.

-The opposite is true have you heard the absolute garbage that is the Black Lagoon sub, hell in Code Geass they can't even say the protagonists name correctly.

-How are dubs more convenient? If the series is dubbed it comes with multi audio and subbed can be easily pirated. The only stuff that are difficult to find subbed no one watches anyway like Crush Gear Turbo or Hamtaro.

-The only reason you find Japanese audio more natural is probably because you have no comparison. The Japanese I have heard in life hardly resembles anime but also I can pick up on the nuances in English that very likely I miss in Japanese. just because I am ignorant of them in Japanese doesn't make it more natural. Also you are going to miss much more in a sub because you spend all that time reading the damn subtitles.

You may have had a case over 10 years ago but stop pretending you know anything about what you actively avoid.
hmm...
Green Platinum

[Superstar] wrote:

I simply like japanese voices more than english/german ones. That is why I rarely watch dubs. Whenever I get my hands on some dual audio release I always check out the English language, but also always end up just switching back to japanese.

Dubs I actually liked are the English dubs of Psycho-Pass and Angel Beats! And the German dub of Death Note. So it is not like I am completely against it, just a preference thing.
I hold the same view each can be good in its own way I just don't like the people who suggest that sub is always the superior option and the go to choice for 'true' anime fans. I've also met several people who defend subs as if it somehow justifies piracy and not spending a penny when an official release of a series they love is made available in their region.
The Gambler
Ghost Stories english dub anyone? I mean Funi is legendary here ;)

Sub... An entire voice cast of Vic Mignona hasn't been made yet, I think
Green Platinum

dagambler999 wrote:

Ghost Stories english dub anyone? I mean Funi is legendary here ;)

Sub... An entire voice cast of Vic Mignona hasn't been made yet, I think
A really special case.
The Gambler

Green Platinum wrote:

A really special case.
Basically a genre change instead of faithful dubbing, amirite?
Szymek
Sub deffinatly :D
LukaXGAMErs
Sub, like the originality of an anime, dub.. uhh I watched some, but I only remember are: Pokemon, Blue Dragon, and Cardfight! Vanguard.
Critical Dude
Ayyy this youtube debate again @_@

I'm tired so I'll shorten this:

1) I believe that in order to properly judge subbed anime, you must understand the language. By understanding the language you are able to understand the tones and expressions more clearly, hence you can then say if that person's voice acting is good or bad.
Despite this belief what I'll say next will contradict this as I sometimes feel as though the Japanese voices fit the characters better in certain anime. I have no problem reading the subs and watching at the same time.

2) When you have stuck to sub for a long time, dubbed anime will sound bizarre as if the voice actors are not in sync (with the animation) or have other problems.

Personally I prefer subbed because very few anime sound good when dubbed.
B1rd
Subs are better. There is a better voice acting industry in Japan; dubs are often quite awful and cringe worthy, with a couple exceptions. And on top of that, they're more accurate in conveying the meaning of what the characters are saying, because with dubs they're limited by having to translate the English to fit the speaking animation which was meant for the Japanese.
Green Platinum

Critical Dude wrote:

1) I believe that in order to properly judge subbed anime, you must understand the language. By understanding the language you are able to understand the tones and expressions more clearly, hence you can then say if that person's voice acting is good or bad.
Despite this belief what I'll say next will contradict this as I sometimes feel as though the Japanese voices fit the characters better in certain anime. I have no problem reading the subs and watching at the same time.

2) When you have stuck to sub for a long time, dubbed anime will sound bizarre as if the voice actors are not in sync (with the animation) or have other problems.

I've only seen a small amount of anime (about 940) and I don't have this problem. Some are bad some are good. Do I need to see more? Coincidentally no one mentions examples of these amazing Japanese voices (So many sound like adolescents on helium to me) whilst ignoring the horrible japanese voicing of Black Lagoon and Code Geass etc.

B1rd wrote:

Subs are better. There is a better voice acting industry in Japan; dubs are often quite awful and cringe worthy, with a couple exceptions. And on top of that, they're more accurate in conveying the meaning of what the characters are saying, because with dubs they're limited by having to translate the English to fit the speaking animation which was meant for the Japanese.
What's this shit about conveying the meaning better? You are still trusting the meaning to either a fansub group or company hired to translate the show unless you watch raw.
Justykanna

Critical Dude wrote:

Not really disagreeing with you, but to your first point, dubbed anime still have tones and expressions too (obviously). You can use that thought for both dubbed or subbed anime. And when you say "understand the language", what particularly do you mean? The tones / expressions as stated earlier, or the literal translations, how people talk, etc etc?

I'm actually just curious, but what do you mean by "other problems", for your second point.
Critical Dude

Justykanna wrote:

Not really disagreeing with you, but to your first point, dubbed anime still have tones and expressions too (obviously). You can use that thought for both dubbed or subbed anime. And when you say "understand the language", what particularly do you mean? The tones / expressions as stated earlier, or the literal translations, how people talk, etc etc?
Ah! Thanks for bringing that up because I should of made myself clearer. To answer it short I meant both tones and translations (how people talk).

Dubbed anime do have tones and expressions, but are they as good as when you are listening to the original voice actors' take on the same anime?
In order to know how good a voice actor is you have to understand what they are saying and how they use their tone (or emotion) to express what they're saying. If you are unfamiliar with another language then even with subtitles you will struggle to understand some tones. Most tones like anger, frustration, sadness, being excited and more can be easily be seen through other languages (especially when watching anime). However when trying to understand more advanced things in another language, like sarcasm, it can become a bit difficult without the help of the character's facial and bodily expressions or without the correct use of punctuation in a sentence.
Hence why it is better to just learn the Japanese language so you can truly understand how it is better.

Justykanna wrote:

I'm actually just curious, but what do you mean by "other problems", for your second point.
Not sure how I could make myself more clear about that but what I meant by other problems are things based on personal views. For example not liking a ones voice acting (regardless of whether it is really good or bad) because you dislike the voice actor for personal reasons.
When I said "other" I meant anything that you or anyone else would think of as a problem when listening to dubbed.
Green Platinum
I don't think just learning the language will help you there. You'd need to actively communicate with experienced speakers to pick up all the nuances of any language
Critical Dude

Green Platinum wrote:

I don't think just learning the language will help you there. You'd need to actively communicate with experienced speakers to pick up all the nuances of any language
That is true, I remember struggling a lot to learn French because I never really tried talking to others that would speak French fluently. Hence I could not properly converse with French people or translate what they were saying.
show more