Sub Vs. Dub

Sub
89.08%
Dub
10.92%
Total votes: 229
show more
piruchan
Despite my first post makes me sound like a stupid sub elitist, I do have a reason.

I'm more into sub because I like the sense of originality from hearing Japanese voice actors. And before someone go, "original doesn't always mean better", I just like things the way they were released for the first time, better or not. Yes, it means I would watch an anime in English if it is how it was first released. Sub is there because I don't understand Japanese, would definitely watch raw if I do.

And this doesn't apply only to anime, I'm pretty much like this for other things as well. Localized Windows? No thanks.
-Nya-
Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
You say this but what is the best Sub you have seen?
Because Baccano dubbed is greater than any Sub I even remember.
Seems odd that people defending dubs are the only ones willing to provide examples of good vocal work.
Gumpy
It was fun reading this thread.

-Nya- wrote:

No one ever said dub is way better than sub.
Whenever I watch a sub it's usually because there is no dub available.

All the dubs I really enjoyed I have watched more, listing that would be boring.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1212/Oban_Star-Racers
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullm ... rotherhood I found the sub to be cringe worthy at best
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate
CrystaltheCool
For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. Yes, a majority of anime takes place in Japan, and I watch sub for those. However, some anime takes place in America. Soul Eater is a good example of this. It's dub is great, btw. Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
Green Platinum

CrystaltheCool wrote:

For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. Yes, a majority of anime takes place in Japan, and I watch sub for those. However, some anime takes place in America. Soul Eater is a good example of this. It's dub is great, btw. Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
What if a series takes place in multiple countries?
Justykanna

Gumpyyy wrote:

It was fun reading this thread.

-Nya- wrote:

No one ever said dub is way better than sub.
Whenever I watch a sub it's usually because there is no dub available.

All the dubs I really enjoyed I have watched more, listing that would be boring.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1212/Oban_Star-Racers
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullm ... rotherhood I found the sub to be cringe worthy at best
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate
Can agree with FMA Brotherhood and Soul Eater (even though a LARGE portion of the actors are the same anyway).
Haven't listened to the Japanese actors of either mind you. So I can't compare. xD

My brother watched FMA (the original) in Japanese and said he really didn't like it as much lol.

Green Platinum wrote:

Seems odd that people defending dubs are the only ones willing to provide examples of good vocal work.
My sister really likes certain Japanese voice actors and has raved at me about one of them about a year ago (I'll repost here when I remember who it was). xD
[Not really relevant to your post... but sorta? =D ]

CrystaltheCool wrote:

Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
It's not about the company, more so the actor and how they do in the anime, for me.
Ex: Vic Mignogna's Ed in FMA Brotherhood and his Ikkaku in Bleach are both awesome. =D
Flanster
If its dubbed good, it works, but its rare, thus sub is the way to go usually.
CrystaltheCool

Green Platinum wrote:

CrystaltheCool wrote:

Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD
Green Platinum

Green Platinum wrote:

Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD[/quote]
What series did you really go to that effort with? Otherwise by saying you only watch sub really means you can't discuss sub v dub.
CrystaltheCool

Green Platinum wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD
What series did you really go to that effort with? Otherwise by saying you only watch sub really means you can't discuss sub v dub.[/quote]
I watched a few dubs. A few, mind you. 2 were okay, 3 were great, and 1 was poop. XD
-Nya-
@ Green Platinum: Literally, all the anime I have watched till now sounds brilliant in Japanese, so it isn't really needed to give examples cuz most subbed anime are great, where dub . . . not so much.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

@ Green Platinum: Literally, all the anime I have watched till now sounds brilliant in Japanese, so it isn't really needed to give examples cuz most subbed anime are great, where dub . . . not so much.
Or you cannot tell what jananese vocal work is actually amazing and they have all been mediocre.
-Nya-
Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
Funny... I didn't come from any of them thinking the vocal work was particularly special. I was expecting something along the lines of Usagi drop for authenticity.
AutoMedic

-Nya- wrote:

>Madoka
Pretty good, but not "over the top"

>SAO
Jesus christ, how horrifying

>Beyond the Boundary
oh no the fuyukai desu memes are just plain annoying

>Another
Dude, have you ever considered listening to better voice acting

Oh I just not appreciate the unbelievably annoying high-pitched girl voices and testosteroned filled ones in anime. I'd say that sometimes, sub can work out but not quite as well as we expect
-Nya-

AutoMedic wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

>Madoka
Pretty good, but not "over the top"

>SAO
Jesus christ, how horrifying

>Beyond the Boundary

>Another
Dude, have you ever considered listening to better voice acting

Oh I just not appreciate the unbelievably annoying high-pitched girl voices and testosteroned filled ones in anime. I'd say that sometimes, sub can work out but not quite as well as we expect
Dub is also not over-the-top. And SAO was really not that bad. Come on people!
I'm also not a "dude", I'm a girl, and the reason why some of the voices, not all of them, sound high-pitched sometimes is because the girls are very young, so it's actually very suitable
And I can also assure you that I would never be able to watch something that has bad acting in it. I just can't.
piruchan

AutoMedic wrote:

>Beyond the Boundary
Fuck-you-kai desu.

Remember guys, taste is generally subjective.
Justykanna

-Nya- wrote:

And SAO was really not that bad. Come on people!
Agreed, lol. People always find ways to hate SAO, I've found. =/

piruchan wrote:

taste is generally subjective.
Basically this whole thread.
DeletedUser_3905941

-Nya- wrote:

couldn't agree more
Green Platinum

Justykanna wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

Agreed, lol. People always find ways to hate SAO, I've found. =/
I asked for an anime with amazing Japanese voice acting. SAO doesn't fit that either. There are plenty of criticisms of SAO I don't thin the voice acting is one though.

Justykanna wrote:

piruchan wrote:

taste is generally subjective.
Basically this whole thread.
Pretty much every Otaku Culture thread. If you have an opinion you should be able to defend it with reasons.
Justykanna

Green Platinum wrote:

I asked for an anime with amazing Japanese voice acting. SAO doesn't fit that either. There are plenty of criticisms of SAO I don't thin the voice acting is one though.

Pretty much every Otaku Culture thread. If you have an opinion you should be able to defend it with reasons.
I never said it was lol.
I like it because I'm an MMO nut. xD

I honestly don't read many Otaku Culture threads, lol. Just ones that catch my eye.
Yes, but at the same time, it almost sounds like whenever this topic comes up (third time that I can remember), it sounds like people try to force their preference on others (not you, obviously).
Dispel
I like Sub because it has more emotion then Dub.
Although some Dubs can be just as good if not better.
Mogsy

colonelkickass1 wrote:

I like Sub because it has more emotion then Dub.
Although some Dubs can be just as good if not better.
It all depends on context here, again.

My big thing when it comes to typical Japanese voice acting archetypes is that there tends to typically be a more over-the-top and melodramatic timbre in vocal delivery, with the voice type relying very heavily on archetypes as well. It's not bad per se, it's just that the standouts tend to be fewer and further between (on both the extremely good and extremely bad side). I prefer my Japanese dubbing a bit more naturalistic, personally, but that very rarely happens (it comes down to script and vocal direction in that case; best examples are Beck and Paradise Kiss for me).

English dubs can have plenty of emotion, as well, but again, the adapted scripted and direction need to be there to make those emotional beats successful. It's gotten a lot better in terms of quality within the past 5 or 6 years, compared to say 10-15 years ago where we pretty much had, uh, Cowboy Bebop for really fantastic dubs.
Volta
by watchin subs, you can learn japanese by reading the subtitles while hear the original voice. and can still enjoy the story. even if it's not significant at least we can know some japanese vocabulary

onii-chan, peace peace
Green Platinum

Flying Pan wrote:

by watchin subs, you can learn japanese by reading the subtitles while hear the original voice. and can still enjoy the story. even if it's not significant at least we can know some japanese vocabulary

onii-chan, peace peace
I feel this is a point against subs because it just causes people to drop Japanese words into otherwise completely English (or other language) sentences. Then you also get those sub groups that choose to keep certain words untranslated, sure you pick them up if you watch enough but it is really only unhelpful to new fans while providing nothing to more experienced fans aside maybe stroking their egos.

I feel if you learned Japanese exclusively from subbed anime you'd get your point across by just chanting kawaii or moe. Alongside actual lessons is probably fair though.
edisk
Sub>Dub. though subs are not 90-100% accurate a lot of times...
ShiroNekomura
Sub
Green Platinum

ShiroNekomura wrote:

Sub
Then just vote. Comments like this are not constructive.
7ambda
I guess it depends what company is translating it. For example, Funimation produces some really good dubbed series like Fairy Tail, while other websites that attempt to translate the same thing sound goddamn awful. I still prefer dub since I'd rather get the full immersion while watching than having to speed read the text.
Fezzes_old
Sub since the original voice acting tends to fit much better most of the time.. in my opinion.
-Nya-

F1r3tar wrote:

I guess it depends what company is translating it. For example, Funimation produces some really good dubbed series like Fairy Tail, while other websites that attempt to translate the same thing sound goddamn awful. I still prefer dub since I'd rather get the full immersion while watching than having to speed read the text.

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
-Nya-

Fezzes wrote:

Sub since the original voice acting tends to fit much better most of the time.. in my opinion.

I totally agree with you on that.
Justykanna

-Nya- wrote:

F1r3tar wrote:

Yeah, I think the main reason why some people prefer dub is because they don't want to read the subs or don't have the ability to read really fast.
Yup, that's me.
I actually never hear people use this as their reason so I thought I was alone for the said reason.
yumi
The only acceptable dub is Cowboy Bebop
Green Platinum

heyitskry wrote:

Is this because you've seen every dub or is it because you are just elitist and really have no clue what you are talking about?
Mikichiyo

therealhashtag wrote:

I prefer Sub. If I watch Dub and after that Sub I always think about how bad it is.

Sometimes Dub can also be very good, but I still prefer the ''original''
Justykanna

heyitskry wrote:

So what other dubs have you watched and why were they horrible?
Examples, people!
Gumpy

-Nya- wrote:

But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
Green Platinum

Gumpyyy wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

But I can easilly read fast enough to enjoy both. Some shows are just better dubbed which I have listed before.
The shows with the fasted talking also never get dubbed
show more