community forum

Sub Vs. Dub

posted
Total Posts
207

Sub Vs. Dub

Sub
204
89.08%
Dub
25
10.92%
Total votes: 229
show more
Tom-Senpai
I prefer subs ;A; Sometimes dub voices are meh ;-; and I've watched subs long enough I can see EVERYTHING going on and read the subtitles all at once ;-;
Green Platinum

Pituophis wrote:

I generally prefer sub over dub. Occasionally I'll find a dub that I think is actually good. Rarely do I find a dub better than sub, I can only think of DBZ as a case of dub being better, but I didn't care for the series itself much. I like sub because there is usually more emotion in the VA's voice. I also get tired of hearing the same english VA over and over again.
I can't think of any good animes to hear in Japanese (They all just feel just ordinary or bad) at least none with the impact of Baccano for example.

If you can handle Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei you can probably handle anything in terms of subs. I recall an episode where the fansub had two subtitle tracks on the screen at the same time for the entire episode while dialogue was fired off a at the rate the Monogatari's sometimes get to.
piruchan
Despite my first post makes me sound like a stupid sub elitist, I do have a reason.

I'm more into sub because I like the sense of originality from hearing Japanese voice actors. And before someone go, "original doesn't always mean better", I just like things the way they were released for the first time, better or not. Yes, it means I would watch an anime in English if it is how it was first released. Sub is there because I don't understand Japanese, would definitely watch raw if I do.

And this doesn't apply only to anime, I'm pretty much like this for other things as well. Localized Windows? No thanks.
-Nya-
Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
You say this but what is the best Sub you have seen?
Because Baccano dubbed is greater than any Sub I even remember.
Seems odd that people defending dubs are the only ones willing to provide examples of good vocal work.
Gumpy
It was fun reading this thread.

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
No one ever said dub is way better than sub.
Whenever I watch a sub it's usually because there is no dub available.

All the dubs I really enjoyed I have watched more, listing that would be boring.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1212/Oban_Star-Racers
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullm ... rotherhood I found the sub to be cringe worthy at best
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate
CrystaltheCool
For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. Yes, a majority of anime takes place in Japan, and I watch sub for those. However, some anime takes place in America. Soul Eater is a good example of this. It's dub is great, btw. Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
Green Platinum

CrystaltheCool wrote:

For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. Yes, a majority of anime takes place in Japan, and I watch sub for those. However, some anime takes place in America. Soul Eater is a good example of this. It's dub is great, btw. Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
What if a series takes place in multiple countries?
Justykanna

Gumpyyy wrote:

It was fun reading this thread.

-Nya- wrote:

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can argue with fact that sub is just way better than dub. The japanese acting's just better.
No one ever said dub is way better than sub.
Whenever I watch a sub it's usually because there is no dub available.

All the dubs I really enjoyed I have watched more, listing that would be boring.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1212/Oban_Star-Racers
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullm ... rotherhood I found the sub to be cringe worthy at best
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9253/Steins;Gate
Can agree with FMA Brotherhood and Soul Eater (even though a LARGE portion of the actors are the same anyway).
Haven't listened to the Japanese actors of either mind you. So I can't compare. xD

My brother watched FMA (the original) in Japanese and said he really didn't like it as much lol.

Green Platinum wrote:

Seems odd that people defending dubs are the only ones willing to provide examples of good vocal work.
My sister really likes certain Japanese voice actors and has raved at me about one of them about a year ago (I'll repost here when I remember who it was). xD
[Not really relevant to your post... but sorta? =D ]

CrystaltheCool wrote:

Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
It's not about the company, more so the actor and how they do in the anime, for me.
Ex: Vic Mignogna's Ed in FMA Brotherhood and his Ikkaku in Bleach are both awesome. =D
Flanster
If its dubbed good, it works, but its rare, thus sub is the way to go usually.
CrystaltheCool

Green Platinum wrote:

CrystaltheCool wrote:

For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. Yes, a majority of anime takes place in Japan, and I watch sub for those. However, some anime takes place in America. Soul Eater is a good example of this. It's dub is great, btw. Funimation is the best dubbing company I've seen. Funimation is the only dubbing company I can say I love. Aniplex USA is okay. :/
What if a series takes place in multiple countries?
Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD
Green Platinum

Green Platinum wrote:

What if a series takes place in multiple countries?
Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD[/quote]
What series did you really go to that effort with? Otherwise by saying you only watch sub really means you can't discuss sub v dub.
CrystaltheCool

Green Platinum wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

What if a series takes place in multiple countries?
Then it depends on where the episode I'm watching takes place in, or I just avoid complicating everything by only watching sub. XD
What series did you really go to that effort with? Otherwise by saying you only watch sub really means you can't discuss sub v dub.[/quote]
I watched a few dubs. A few, mind you. 2 were okay, 3 were great, and 1 was poop. XD
-Nya-
@ Green Platinum: Literally, all the anime I have watched till now sounds brilliant in Japanese, so it isn't really needed to give examples cuz most subbed anime are great, where dub . . . not so much.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

@ Green Platinum: Literally, all the anime I have watched till now sounds brilliant in Japanese, so it isn't really needed to give examples cuz most subbed anime are great, where dub . . . not so much.
Or you cannot tell what jananese vocal work is actually amazing and they have all been mediocre.
-Nya-
Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
Funny... I didn't come from any of them thinking the vocal work was particularly special. I was expecting something along the lines of Usagi drop for authenticity.
AutoMedic

-Nya- wrote:

Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
>Madoka
Pretty good, but not "over the top"

>SAO
Jesus christ, how horrifying

>Beyond the Boundary
oh no the fuyukai desu memes are just plain annoying

>Another
Dude, have you ever considered listening to better voice acting

Oh I just not appreciate the unbelievably annoying high-pitched girl voices and testosteroned filled ones in anime. I'd say that sometimes, sub can work out but not quite as well as we expect
-Nya-

AutoMedic wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

Ok, here is examples of great vocal work: Madoka Magica, SAO, Kyoukai no Kanata, Another, etc. and many more.
>Madoka
Pretty good, but not "over the top"

>SAO
Jesus christ, how horrifying

>Beyond the Boundary
oh no the fuyukai desu memes are just plain annoying

>Another
Dude, have you ever considered listening to better voice acting

Oh I just not appreciate the unbelievably annoying high-pitched girl voices and testosteroned filled ones in anime. I'd say that sometimes, sub can work out but not quite as well as we expect
Dub is also not over-the-top. And SAO was really not that bad. Come on people!
I'm also not a "dude", I'm a girl, and the reason why some of the voices, not all of them, sound high-pitched sometimes is because the girls are very young, so it's actually very suitable
And I can also assure you that I would never be able to watch something that has bad acting in it. I just can't.
piruchan

AutoMedic wrote:

>Beyond the Boundary
oh no the fuyukai desu memes are just plain annoying
Fuck-you-kai desu.

Remember guys, taste is generally subjective.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply