forum

Your weaknesses & how you approach them

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
idkfa lolz
First off, I'm sorry if either this belongs to GD or there has been a thread like this before, call me retarded but I can't seem to figure out how to use the search function in order to show me proper results for some reason. Feel free to educate me!

Anyways, I'm genuinely interested to hear about the following things:

- What would you consider to be your major weaknesses? Fingers getting screwed on triplets? Slow streaming? Can't read ar10 for the hell of it?
- Have you attempted to fix them yet, and if so, how did you approach it and how successful have you been so far?
- How much effort are you putting into the issue? for ex. are you practicing 260bpm deathstreams 18 hours a day or are you just playing rog unlimitation once in a while to increase your streaming speed?
- Things you used to be bad at, but eventually got better after doing x.
- Also feel free to talk about the aspects you consider to be your strengths

Generally just stories of improvement and/or ranting about things you suck at

I personally find it interesting to hear about those things by itself, but I also feel like this could provoke some thoughts for people with similar issues on how to fix their weak spots efficiently. Everything should be judged relative to your own perception, i.e. don't compare yourself to other players, but think about what you feel like you're having trouble with or not.

Excuse me for any mistakes my english is meh, and also sorry again if a thread like this already exists, I just felt like getting something going.

edit: sweet, thanks for replies so far:)
Mahogany
Consistency is my major weakness but I can't really do much to tackle that besides playing more. (I just need to stop getting mad tbh)
Streams are my secondary weakness, but I've practiced a few stream maps from RaneFire's userpage and now I can just about stream 145bpm. Still improving, but pretty successful considering I was a mashfest a week ago.
I'm also rather poor at jump patterns but I haven't come across too many I couldn't do in regular gameplay yet.
If I play too much I'll lose motivation, and I don't want to overdo it. I usually practice osu at least for an hour a day and usually for at least 2.5 hours but I use the streaming maps to warm up and then whenever I feel like it.
I used to be bad at everything until I got a tablet. 8-)
I think I'm pretty good at reading c:
(Acc too whenever there aren't streams but that probably doesn't even count lol)
Your English is perfect, btw. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between you and a native speaker :D
winber1
>squares used to be gay as hell for me.
>made a ton of random square only maps and/or played those maps, though very few maps actually existed for this purpose back in the day.
>barely helped.
>alternative solution: I played more.
>can do squares now
B1rd
consistent streaming.

I play slow stream maps to counter this. (until I just get frustrated at no improvement and go back to spamming fast stuff)
bigfeh
Actually I think my skills are pretty decent when compared to each other (as in I don't have major weaknesses, except for streaming. I just can't). Note, however, that I am still shit at this game

For some reason, I love triplets and other short bursts (they just feel good. sue me), and my speed is actually pretty good but when I started playing again a few weeks ago, I couldn't stream for the life of me. I've been improving a lot, but I still suck a lot at it
dung eater
other finger is worse at things

do things using the worse finger more

now it's not as bad at things
silmarilen
-long streams (well, depends on what you call long, sometimes after 15-20 notes im already getting problems)
-well, not directly, i just hope i get better at them by playing the game
-see previous point
-high bpm (200+) short streams
-accuracy, altho i cant 99+ acc random hr maps, that's more because of ar10 than because of the high od. so i think my accuracy is definitely my strongest point.
ZenithPhantasm
Speed and stamina as a result of RSI (currently taking a break AGAIN -_-).
Gumpy
-ar9 is my biggest weakness
-I play ar9 stuff to make it better
-I got better at HR by playing too much
Yuudachi-kun
I play more to fc more.
[-Cloud-]
I gave up like a boss.
Noobsicle
people say tablet is easier than mouse

i tried tablet for 2 weeks and realised i suck at tablet

solution: i return to mouse

ty 4 listen
Yuudachi-kun

Noobsicle wrote:

people say tablet is easier than mouse

i tried tablet for 2 weeks and realised i suck at tablet

solution: i return to mouse

ty 4 listen
You didn't play enough.
RaneFire
Lack of motivation.

Playing less.

On a serious note: I used to be terrible at streams, that's why I made a stream list and practiced them incessantly, turning it into my strength. Pretty sure that's how you do it... practice your weaknesses. I didn't focus on other aspects as much, so they are my weaknesses.
Vuelo Eluko
ill bite

- What would you consider to be your major weaknesses? Fingers getting screwed on triplets? Slow streaming? Can't read ar10 for the hell of it?
Jumps. My aim is horrendous. most rank 20ks can jump better than me by far

- Have you attempted to fix them yet, and if so, how did you approach it and how successful have you been so far?
yeah, i grind it out on maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/177523 and some unranked ones but to no avail so far.

- How much effort are you putting into the issue? for ex. are you practicing 260bpm deathstreams 18 hours a day or are you just playing rog unlimitation once in a while to increase your streaming speed?
Not many, I'd say around 10-15 full plays in any given session, the rest are just maps for the sake of maps.

- Things you used to be bad at, but eventually got better after doing x.
Accuracy, I got better at accuracy when I turned up my effects volume, no word for a lie.

- Also feel free to talk about the aspects you consider to be your strengths
Good singletapping speed, decent streaming speed, fairly versatile when it comes to reading, when i get 'in the zone' i virtually never miss or get a 100.
woqx
Weaknesses:
Can't go fast -> Stopped caring about speed
Can't stream consistently -> Playing a few streamy low BPM maps every day, slowly improving
Can't read low AR -> Playing a few low AR maps every day, slowly improving

Strengths:
My aim/consistency is good compared to how I'm doing at every other aspect of the game. It improved very fast when I stopped retrying and realized that you don't need jump maps, any map you miss on will help improve your aim. Playing maps until I FC them more than one day in a row also helps with the consistency I guess. Also noticed large jumps are easier when I look at the hitcircles instead of staring at the middle of my screen like an idiot. If the map is too fast for me to look at every single hitcircle, I usually stop playing it for a while until I feel like I can keep up.
Kunino Sagiri
I suck at maps that asks me to snap too quickly between notes to maintain a single combo like maps of Guy jonathanflj Tari Fycho etc.

So I just play their maps or any kind of fast paced jump maps. Prolly spent 75k-100k playcount offline already but I just can't FC any of their maps. Jumps are literally 3x harder than streaming :D
tfg50
- I can't read complex stuff on ar10/I'm one of the slowest brazilian players
- I memorize the patterns that give me trouble/I play maps that are barely in my skill range
- Once I played fast stuff for something like 3 days straight and I got fast as fuck but then RSI attacked me ^^
- Reading low ar (started playing old maps/EZ)/ low-medium bpm stamina (play moar)
- acc/low bpm consistency/sightreading anything between ar7 and ar9.6/did I mention acc?

btw how do people read ar10+hd? that shit is impossible, I can read only some triples/notes after the sliders properly, the rest I need to memorize.
Ash Marley
Repetition is the mother of skill.
woqx

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

I suck at maps that asks me to snap too quickly between notes to maintain a single combo like maps of Guy jonathanflj Tari Fycho etc.

So I just play their maps or any kind of fast paced jump maps. Prolly spent 75k-100k playcount offline already but I just can't FC any of their maps. Jumps are literally 3x harder than streaming :D
You have more plays than pretty much anyone in the top50. Stop retrying and stop playing fast jump maps, it obviously isn't working.
Yuudachi-kun
Or rather stop retrying fast jump maps and just play through them.
Kunino Sagiri

woqx wrote:

Stop retrying and stop playing fast jump maps, it obviously isn't working.
Nah, I play things once-twice then move on unless I finished all the maps I had and I have to start at the beginning of my maps again. And I play literally every kind of jump maps (slow-fast 4*-7*s) but it's just useless
Yuudachi-kun
Holy shit your May 2012
B1rd
o wow a good thread for once :oops:

RaneFire wrote:

On a serious note: I used to be terrible at streams, that's why I made a stream list and practiced them incessantly, turning it into my strength. Pretty sure that's how you do it... practice your weaknesses. I didn't focus on other aspects as much, so they are my weaknesses.
I actually downloaded all of your practice maps until like 200bpm. I do practice them, but like I said, when I make effort to purely practice streams for some time it quickly starts to feel like a big chore so I can't find motivation to continuing practising. However I still practise a bit, mostly by playing maps that I like that happen to be streamy (for example that new Grimoire of Alice map <3), and my streaming is slowly getting better. -Although it's extremely inconsistent and completely different on a day to day basis; some days I can stream OK, but other days it's I can't combo through stream for my life.

So my conclusion from this is to get good at something like streaming requires a combination of practising said thing- but not to the point that it's a chore as the training will cease being beneficial. So you should also do a whole lot more 'playing more' and doing stuff that you enjoy.

woqx wrote:

Weaknesses:
Can't go fast -> Stopped caring about speed
Can't stream consistently -> Playing a few streamy low BPM maps every day, slowly improving
Can't read low AR -> Playing a few low AR maps every day, slowly improving

Strengths:
My aim/consistency is good compared to how I'm doing at every other aspect of the game. It improved very fast when I stopped retrying and realized that you don't need jump maps, any map you miss on will help improve your aim. Playing maps until I FC them more than one day in a row also helps with the consistency I guess. Also noticed large jumps are easier when I look at the hitcircles instead of staring at the middle of my screen like an idiot. If the map is too fast for me to look at every single hitcircle, I usually stop playing it for a while until I feel like I can keep up.
I agree. I used to pretty much only play FCable maps because I wanted to be 'consistent', however I realised that playing fast/jumpy maps is essential to get better at aim and speed. Although I think a lot of people are at the opposite end of the spectrum and just spam through fast stuff way too much.

also forgot one of my weaknesses: not caring about acc and just playing for combo.

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

woqx wrote:

Stop retrying and stop playing fast jump maps, it obviously isn't working.
Nah, I play things once-twice then move on unless I finished all the maps I had and I have to start at the beginning of my maps again. And I play literally every kind of jump maps (slow-fast 4*-7*s) but it's just useless
I really think your problem is your peripheral; I used to use mouse or a long time but never got any better with it. Then I switched to tablet and the improvement was instantaneous. I would recommend you switch to tablet.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

also forgot one of my weaknesses: not caring about acc and just playing for combo.
I don't think that's a weakness; a lot of people seem to want to start with good acc on easy songs and then gradually increase the difficulty, but I like playing hard songs without caring about acc then going back to easier songs to improve acc.

That's probably because it's the lowest on my priorities of what to improve.
B1rd

Kheldragar wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I don't think that's a weakness; a lot of people seem to want to start with good acc on easy songs and then gradually increase the difficulty, but I like playing hard songs without caring about acc then going back to easier songs to improve acc.

That's probably because it's the lowest on my priorities of what to improve.
This is true to a degree and what I do a lot, but from doing that I quickly got finger mashing habits and ended up not being able to FC through streams no matter how hard I tried. So you should never ignore acc completely.
Topic Starter
idkfa lolz
just gonna make a new post for the sake of readability

weaknesses

1. Accuracy in general; complete lack of sense of rhythm (200 unstable on offset wizard map l0l), I can't seem to get a grip on that one
-> honestly didnt really do much about that one yet since I usually end up getting frustrated over how no matter how hard i try i usually can't even get >95% on 4 star ar9 maps
1.1 Slow streams; due to lack of finger control (and probably other things i haven't figured out yet) any slow stream ends up being a row of 100s and 50s
-> played a ton of <170bpm stream maps for a couple days, went up from ~65% to ~80% accuracy on those, but ended up getting bored and decided that I'd just ignore that fact
1.2 Triples; I'm not even joking but every set of triples usually means at the very least 1x 100 for me, mostly because I habitually just mash zxz as soon as my eyes lay sight on these atrocities, usually ending up hitting either too early or too fast
-> i should probably learn to slow down a little, stop getting nervous about triples and learn zxz xzx, but i didn't really bother with it yet
2. Reading; I tend to get severely confused with certain patterns or lots of notes popping up at the same time, and end up going into a 3 second tilt where i literally don't do anything, usually ending up failing the map
-> started playing some hard to read maps +HT to get a grip, no results for nomod so far
3. Also +HD, holy I literally can't even pass a single map using hidden how do people even do that what are stacks
-> no

strengths

1. Aim; I feel like my aim has gotten fairly decent after playing lots of jump practice maps (at least I think that helped, but it sure did for far jumps, i used to suck at those), I can usually hold big combos on the first try of a song
2. Speed; not sure about that one but at least i feel like sonic the hedge when singletapping >260bpm dt maps
3. AR10 reading; pretty useless but sometimes i end up having better combos and/or accuracy on maps when playing +HR than I'm getting nomod, which probably resulted from playing lots of hard+HR maps for a few days when I got frustrated over my bad accuracy on regular ~4.5 stars
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

This is true to a degree and what I do a lot, but from doing that I quickly got finger mashing habits and ended up not being able to FC through streams no matter how hard I tried. So you should never ignore acc completely.
What's your problem in streams? The only ones I can think of that come up for me (relating to comboing) are random 1x misses in the middle of a stream, missing at the very last note of a stream, and slider breaking on those streams that like to having sliders and back and forth sliders mixed into the middle of them.

Also everytime I'm about to fc a map for the first time and it has a death/mini-death stream I tend to lose a whole chunk of accuracy either from being too slow or from being too fast since it makes me extra nervous. I think I made a map go from 97% to 94% acc because it was only 180-190 bpm or something and I 100'd the entire last stream.
woqx

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Nah, I play things once-twice then move on unless I finished all the maps I had and I have to start at the beginning of my maps again.
Look at your signature, it seems like you do retry quite a lot more than necessary.
Kunino Sagiri

woqx wrote:

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Nah, I play things once-twice then move on unless I finished all the maps I had and I have to start at the beginning of my maps again.
Look at your signature, it seems like you do retry a lot.
That was me 2 years ago, not now especially when I can easily breeze through everything offline and simply not care.
show more