forum

How to break the skill barrier?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Anti Fun
Recently, I realised that I've reached my skill cap. I haven't made any significant progress through the month. I've tried playing lots of Yolomania songs, taking a breaks, or playing easy map for fun - but it doesn't work. Could you give me some advices?
ovnz
It isn't your skill cap, it is one of your skill walls. Just play as you usually do and after some time, you'll improve "a lot" during maybe a week and then you're back to this state. At least it's how it works for me.
Conor
lenpai
Will be straight here (no not gender straight ahaha)

People have different learning paces. I know people who have played rhythm games for years and aren't even able to pass 5 star (for reference) maps while there are some who just played for like a year and are crazy good in relation to the amount of time they played rhythm games. That being said, life is unfair

Just keep playing. You'll get to that point where you will be able to break you current skill wall. That's the truth.
Bobbias

Ovnize wrote:

It isn't your skill cap, it is one of your skill walls. Just play as you usually do and after some time, you'll improve "a lot" during maybe a week and then you're back to this state. At least it's how it works for me.
As someone with over a decade of experience with rhythm games, you've nailed it. Skill walls happen. I find that when you hit a skill wall, sometimes it can help to try something totally different. If you don't play with any vision mods, try turning on hidden and practicing playing with hidden for a while. Force yourself to play much harder songs than you're used to more often than you used to. Practice a different key mode more often. That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, some skill walls can take a very long time to overcome. For me, since I've been playing for so long, whenever I hit a skill wall, it can take me 6-9 months before I see any real legitimate improvement. However, in my experience skill walls tend to be a lot easier when you're starting out.
CephiCC
I'm currently just coming out of my 5th skill wall. It's the most rewarding thing in the world. Just have a look at the times of my high scores!
http://gyazo.com/e149dc40f748d2325c4343791ed46563

Just keep at it. Keep playing the maps that give you a hard time. Play higher BPMs, try hard maps with the random mod. Do DT on easy songs. It's all a matter of just pushing yourself in other ways for the time being while this wall passes. It WILL pass on it's own. All you have to do is keep playing, and keep fueling the fire that will burn down your skill wall eventually. You'll get it. :)

Sometimes what I find fun, is I enjoy surfing bloodcat for some new maps with cool songs that aren't ranked yet. I like playing unranked songs because it's sort of relaxing knowing that this score won't be getting ranked. Just find some songs that you ENJOY listening to, and enjoy playing, to pass the time before your skill wall breaks again. It's all a matter of just doing your thing. Keep having fun, it's a game after all :)
Pinecone
If you play without knowing you're at a wall right now,

the wall magically disappears.

~Fact~
Aqo
today I discovered I've been at a wall for over 7 months

help

this is the opposite of disappearing. it's more like hitting you in the face with a hard metal slap
Drace
eat yo veggies
Shoegazer
I broke a skill wall recently, so this might help.

For speed, 4K is primarily muscular (your issues are not psychological from what I've seen). If you plateau you're probably not using a muscle right or something like that. Your best bet is to use a more optimal technique (or at least a technique that gives better results than before). There are obviously no "perfect" technique, so you have to fiddle around with your posture. People generally play with their wrists raised, which gives significantly better one hand trilling speed but issues with jacking as they have less leverage on their wrists. People play with their wrists planted, which gives better jacking ability and but you require significantly more tension to hit one hand trills. I've recently swapped for the former, managed to hit significantly faster streams and patterns that I need a very good day on to nail without warming up with a new technique.

Reading is a different thing altogether and I don't think that's your issue. If your reading ability isn't improving at all you're probably not focusing at the right area. Try reading with less space with Hidden, Flashlight, or open up Task Manager and cover up some of the screen. You could also increase your speedmod if you focus more on the spaces between notes, or decrease your speedmod if you focus more on the overall direction of the notes.

Also don't think about breaking your skill wall. You're adding unnecessary stress to yourself.
kidlat020
the biggest "wall" that I have to overcome is the fact that I am overweight and I need to lose. like, a lot.

I'm 5'9" height and 210lbs in weight. go figure. I can only imagine how many barriers would I break once I lose something like 50 lbs.
Topic Starter
Anti Fun
I've just found that I have issues with reading. I covered up a half of screen, then i realised that reading patterns had been much easier than before. Without it I totally screw up, I can't read anything.
Drace
Lol the top half? Lanecovers imba, nerf pls.
6GoodNight9
Play with Hidden give me higher score on hard maps.
Halogen-
If one of your issues has to do with contending with heavy density, it might be good to emulate dense environments on maps you are familiar with. Lower your speed on maps that you have sound muscle memory and try to play audibly. Successful training will not only yield better accuracy, but increased reading ability as well.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to experiment. Everyone finds themselves with different methods that bring them increased ability in some aspect of the game.
lenpai
Accuracy will forever be an impediment in my improvement in osu mania. Broke a lot of skill walls in 4k and LN specific ones in 7k.

But yeah, just play and don't stress yourself in a certain pattetn type. Play somehing else then try maps covering your weakness once in a while. As for reading, I actually don't know how I managed to break skills walls related to that.
ovnz
Try playing a different VSRG might help too.