forum

Tablet users: should I really hover?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sa-yori
Hello everyone!
I've been dragging since forever, but I have people tell me there's a limitation to how fast I can go if I use dragging only. I often try to hover but it's really difficult for me because I'm not used to it at all and dragging feels way more comfortable. :o
But if I can really only go faster with hovering (and hit streams better haha), then I guess I would force myself into learning how to hover properly :?
Any advice/knowledge on this please?
Riri
I don't think you have been dragging for that long. You do only have 330pp
DeletedUser_4041880
Cons on dragging: You need to replace your nibs a lot
Yuudachi-kun
Hovering increased my spin speed.
gregest
hovering is faster and dragging is more accurate
woqx

Frostei wrote:

Cons on dragging: You need to replace your nibs a lot
I've been dragging for about 7 or 8 months and I'm still using my first nib so not really.

OP I don't think you need to start hovering just because someone told you you can go faster by doing so, it'll take you a long time to even become that fast in the first place. You could try it out for a week or so and see if you end up liking it more than dragging, if not you can always go back.
Cayman
z
koromo
It's just preference. I drag at all times and have pretty decent aim. There are a few real pros who also drag and have amazing aim (NerO, JappyBabes when playing tablet).

I can't help but think the people complaining about dragging being slower are people who don't even drag themselves. Of course friction exists, but it's negligible, not enough to hinder your aim at all from my own experience and observations.
naliem
I used to hover, but last moth i started dragging+hovering. I mean, I hover the long and fast jumps but when it's the time to clic the circle I tap the tablet. It's the most accurate playstyle in my point of view.

But it's all about preferences anyways...
Saphirshroom

sa-yori wrote:

I've been dragging since forever, but I have people tell me there's a limitation to how fast I can go if I use dragging only.
These people are probably <1000pp.

The world's best player is dragging. You can worry about your playstyle once you get there.
gregest
WWW ain't deserve 1# imho
B1rd
drag or hover, it makes next to no difference.
Purple
It's just as accurate but I guess you sacrifice some mobility for stability
Dazdy_old
I dragged before my laptop died and had to be repaired, and I plan on continuing dragging once I get it back in about a week. It's all personal preference. I couldn't play properly whilst hovering, so I just tried dragging and I could do it much better.
Kraminka
As many have said, it's about your preference. If you find it more comfortable to drag, then go right ahead.

From personal experience, I've never had to replace my nib. I'm not sure how others play, but you'd have to be pressing pretty hard to wear the nib out. I guess I nearly hover; just resting the pen on the tablet.
Purple
Which tablet you use also impacts how dragging feels like

I remember that the surface of my CTL-480 was painful to drag on because it had this crappy texture that is unsuitable for osu!. I put a film over it from one of my old mousepads, and it felt good but the pen nib pierced it eventually. So maybe you can experiments with things like that, maybe a PTFE film.
Topic Starter
sa-yori
Thank you so much everyone, you were all very helpful! ^-^
tecu
Does anyone have like a list or something of top players with the info whether they hover or not?
buny
kaoru da best also drags
alecA
It's preference yeah. I have a mouse pad over my tablet, and I drag on it, so I never replace my nibs. I hover on spinners, just cuz it's easier, i don't think there is much of a limitation to speed, you can go just as fast.
ThatGuyAtKFC
I guess i never really dragged cause i was afraid it would ruin my tablet or pen or something haha. I really like hovering because its nice and accurate and you can move fast, but when your hand gets really shaky on long maps or because of pressure to fc or something i guess its a little harder. But like everyone says I guess its just preference. B)
Nathanael
Yes, it is depending where you are more comfortable with. I installed a screen protector at my tablet's surface to keep it safe from scratches. (drag)