forum

Youtube Partnership Questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chainpullz
What are the legal implications to this?

osu! hardly seems like it falls under fair use practices.

Are you able to select out videos you don't want to monetize?

If there is anything else you think is important to point out that I haven't explicitly asked about please fire away.

Edit: Would it be sufficient to cite osu!'s copyright agreement and mention that I will take down videos if requested or something?
Kwonaiden
This is a complicated question. When it comes to any content that you haven't created yourself (in this case mainly the music) you have to be careful. A long time ago I had a Youtube channel that was doing very well with alot of subs and channel/video views. I was very careful about the music I used so what I did was I had a back up channel I will upload a video there leave it for 48hr to see if I will get any infringements before uploading to the main because I was hit by DMCA with 1 strike before.

I was pretty careful with leaving a disclaimer also (which does absolutely jack shit btw),

What happened was 1 day I was hit by copyright infringement out the blue for videos I uploaded like 2 years previously which than got my account terminated I was so upset about that with over 3 years work put into it. (It was a WTF moment for me)

Since then I didn't bother much with videos.

So to answer your question:

When you upload any video, if youtube doesn't like it it will either: auto strike you for infringement, mute the content or block it in certain countries. at this point you can remove it. (In this case never use music from big labels ie. Avex, Sony music etc etc you will be fine)

Be careful! extra note: Just because now it's ok to have the video up doesn't mean later on the future the creator or music company will not decide to come later to claim it back.

For partnership I think it is all about your own content. If you do use Osu keep the clip really short or use a part of the music only (nothing more than a few seconds)

No you cannot select what you want to monetize, (anything dealing in money/income will make it more complicated)

Citing agreement on the comment does nothing
Ash Marley
Maybe if you make sure hitsounds are loud enough it might not detect the music as copyright. Not too sure though.
I have 18,000 subscribers and have been a partner for years. Sometimes I get copyright notices and blocked videos, but it never affected my partnership. Any detected copyright music just means I can't make money from the video. Depends.
Green Platinum

Ash Marley wrote:

Maybe if you make sure hitsounds are loud enough it might not detect the music as copyright. Not too sure though.
I have 18,000 subscribers and have been a partner for years. Sometimes I get copyright notices and blocked videos, but it never affected my partnership. Any detected copyright music just means I can't make money from the video. Depends.
I'm pretty sure the copyright holder can choose to block, mute or profit off your video.
_Kisume

Green Platinum wrote:

Ash Marley wrote:

I'm pretty sure the copyright holder can choose to block, mute or profit off your video.
Yes. Generally it's an automatic process, I've had even some unlisted videos have their sound being removed and unable to be monetized, so it's not even entirely dependant on reports.

In order for your youtube partnership to be affected, you need actual copyright strikes, not simple notices.

theorically, on a pure legal level, you would need authorization from every single artist in order to even be allowed to upload the video, and even then this would only allow you to fight back the automatic complaints if you got said authorization, which is not even guaranteed to work - on a more practical level, most doujin artists don't give a ** anyway so you're fine as long as you don't use music that is too mainstream (aka most osu! songs are in the clear)

When I get a copyright notice (which is very rare to begin with, but happens) I just delete the video instantly, or at the very least unlist it.
Topic Starter
chainpullz
So what I've gotten from all this is that there are legal issues but as long as I'm not like uploading Kalafina videos or some other artist that is heavily copyrighted then I probably don't have to worry about the artist putting a strike on my account. Obviously loud hitsounds can get around the automatic copyright but that sounds like asking for trouble. It seems like if I watch copyright notices (on videos uploaded a long time ago with no notices) like a hawk I can probably avoid any issues before they turn into strikes.

Overall it sounds like a bit of gambling and probably not worth it unless you are actually making a reasonable profit off it. I think I'll probably stay away from the youtube partnership at least until my channel gets big enough that it would actually make me more than a few pennies hehehe.
Lokovodo
Okay i have a youtube partnership and I will briefly explain things for you. If the osu! video you are uploading is a heavily copyrighted song such as anything from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" they can mute, profit, or remove your video and sometimes this will even give you a strike to your channel. However if you are uploading non-licensed/non-copyrighted you are free to do absolutely anything with it. It is as simple as that.

Example of not okay https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44527
Example of okay https://osu.ppy.sh/s/222623

Also dude you uploaded 13 videos in the last 24 hours, even if you are getting FC's on big black nobody going to watch that shit. I know from experience you want to upload QUALITY over Quantity.
Topic Starter
chainpullz

Lokovodo wrote:

Okay i have a youtube partnership and I will briefly explain things for you. If the osu! video you are uploading is a heavily copyrighted song such as anything from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" they can mute, profit, or remove your video and sometimes this will even give you a strike to your channel. However if you are uploading non-licensed/non-copyrighted you are free to do absolutely anything with it. It is as simple as that.

Example of not okay https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44527
Example of okay https://osu.ppy.sh/s/222623

Also dude you uploaded 13 videos in the last 24 hours, even if you are getting FC's on big black nobody going to watch that shit. I know from experience you want to upload QUALITY over Quantity.
Well, it would be more for boss kill videos for WoW than anything else. Like I said, if there was an option to disable monetization on everything osu! related I almost certainly would. I post osu! videos on youtube to track my improvement over time more than anything else. But yeah, I was just curious what legal implications are. No need to get so hostile there buddy.

Edit: @mods, feel free to lock topic now if you want. I've gotten all the information I feel I need. That or leave it open if you see a benefit to that or something.
Kwonaiden

chainpullz wrote:

Well, it would be more for boss kill videos for WoW than anything else. Like I said, if there was an option to disable monetization on everything osu! related I almost certainly would. I post osu! videos on youtube to track my improvement over time more than anything else. But yeah, I was just curious what legal implications are. No need to get so hostile there buddy.

Edit: @mods, feel free to lock topic now if you want. I've gotten all the information I feel I need. That or leave it open if you see a benefit to that or something.
Can't you just have your MMO vids seperated from Osu? cuz from my one main YouTube account I post my MMO's and creative stuff and I can switch to a second account to just upload my Osu! related vids.

Dunno how this happened how I was able to switch accounts since I didn't really follow how youtube does things and the google+ addition since I hardly invest my time on the video editing side any more
Granger

Kwonaiden wrote:

Dunno how this happened how I was able to switch accounts since I didn't really follow how youtube does things and the google+ addition since I hardly invest my time on the video editing side any more
As far i know, you can associate multiple youtube accounts with your google account and then switch between them (and the google account, which seems to work for commenting, not sure about uploading videos) with just one single click.
drum drum

chainpullz wrote:

oki dokie