forum

Any tips for Pure Mouse players?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rokusho

KillerGecko wrote:

I too am a mouse user, and have 2000 dpi. Anyway, to the OP, it's hard to stay a mouse only player, because once you get to harder songs and have to do streams you will be unable to single tap fast enough to keep up. You can try to alternate between mouse buttons, but that makes things much harder. Most people use the keyboard to hit notes and mouse/tablet to move.
Actually alternating is one of my best sides as mouse only player, and I really don't think its impossible to keep up with hard songs. It is absolutely possible to even play the hardest maps mouse only, but of course it will take lots and lots of practice. The solution for not being able to keep up with fast songs was alternating for me, which I can do fairly good already imo. Downside is that my singletap speed is very low, because I never really train my singletap speed.
Speed can always be improved, but, of course there are limits.
Gumpy

KillerGecko wrote:

Really, the ultimate end all of OSU is practice. Practice long enough, and you'll be able to do it eventually.
KilleGecko our prophet.
B1rd

Rokusho wrote:

KillerGecko wrote:

I too am a mouse user, and have 2000 dpi. Anyway, to the OP, it's hard to stay a mouse only player, because once you get to harder songs and have to do streams you will be unable to single tap fast enough to keep up. You can try to alternate between mouse buttons, but that makes things much harder. Most people use the keyboard to hit notes and mouse/tablet to move.
Actually alternating is one of my best sides as mouse only player, and I really don't think its impossible to keep up with hard songs. It is absolutely possible to even play the hardest maps mouse only, but of course it will take lots and lots of practice. The solution for not being able to keep up with fast songs was alternating for me, which I can do fairly good already imo. Downside is that my singletap speed is very low, because I never really train my singletap speed.
Speed can always be improved, but, of course there are limits.
mouse only +alternating is a viable playstyle https://osu.ppy.sh/u/2954937
Rokusho

B1rd wrote:

I haven't really seen any alternating mouse only players, pretty cool to see people can play that well with such a playstyle. I never full alternate though, only on parts I can't singletap.
woqx

Rokusho wrote:

It is absolutely possible to even play the hardest maps mouse only

You can be good with any playstyle, PeaChick is ranked #49 and alternates M1 and K1 on streams if I'm not mistaken
uberpancake

Rokusho wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I haven't really seen any alternating mouse only players, pretty cool to see people can play that well with such a playstyle. I never full alternate though, only on parts I can't singletap.
There are a few, see [ oitan ] and gasanww too.
GuiltyGecko

Rokusho wrote:

Bleh, I should have worded my post better. I agree it's a viable playstyle. What I should have said instead of "makes things much harder" was "makes things harder than alternating with keyboard". Perhaps I'll just add an edit at the end.
Topic Starter
[ Hazzy ]
I appreciate all of the Input -no pun intended- xD. I'll try these tips out, see what I can play and make a few teaks to how I'm playing. I do like the Idea of using alternating M1 and M2 for steams and things, something that is a hard workaround.
buny
you won't be able to stream properly with mouse only using a high dpi
Shabui

buny wrote:

This guy here, it will take way too much effort to learn how to stream with a high dpi but i'm not sure who is he talking about since OP didn't say what his dpi was.
HazordousLove, if you are serious about sticking with mouse-only, you'll have to understand that mouse-only has a big disadvantage in that allowing yourself to separate your focus from just 1 hand doing everything to 2 hands, each one doing its own specific task will make progressing much easier which I assume you are trying to do.
ZenithPhantasm

buny wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Use low dpi. It will help with stability.
buny

Shabui wrote:

buny wrote:

This guy here, it will take way too much effort to learn how to stream with a high dpi but i'm not sure who is he talking about since OP didn't say what his dpi was.
HazordousLove, if you are serious about sticking with mouse-only, you'll have to understand that mouse-only has a big disadvantage in that allowing yourself to separate your focus from just 1 hand doing everything to 2 hands, each one doing its own specific task will make progressing much easier which I assume you are trying to do.
it wasn't really directed to anybody, just a statement i wanted to make
cheezstik
High DPI is for faggers, use 400 dpi like cpntxn and you will instantly FC freedom dive, tru story.
ZenithPhantasm

cheezstik wrote:

High DPI is for faggers, use 400 dpi like cpntxn and you will instantly FC freedom dive, tru story.
Use 720 dpi like FunOrange and instantly FC Airman.
GuiltyGecko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

buny wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Use low dpi. It will help with stability.
Would that be low dpi, but high ingame sensitivity?
bigfeh

KillerGecko wrote:

Would that be low dpi, but high ingame sensitivity?
nope, that's dum

If anything, higher DPI and negative sensitivity adjustment in-game. This allows for greater precision
GuiltyGecko

bigfeh wrote:

nope, that's dum

If anything, higher DPI and negative sensitivity adjustment in-game. This allows for greater precision
Hmm. I play with 2000 dpi and an ingame sensitivity of 1 currently. I used to play with 1500 dpi and I think 1.2 ingame, but jumps were too hard at higher difficulty. Maybe I'll try low again and see how that goes.
Noobsicle
it'll help a lot to list your resolution as well
2000 dpi could be considered low medium sens at 4k res ik noone uses that res

also it's not really more precise to use 8000 dpi and 0.1x osu sens in comparison to 800 dpi + 1x osu sens (why would you use such a high dpi outside of osu anyway)
just stick with 400 - 2000 dpi 1x in osu
GuiltyGecko

Noobsicle wrote:

it'll help a lot to list your resolution as well
2000dpi could be considered low medium sens at 4k res ik noone uses that res

also it's not really more precise to use 8000 dpi and 0.1x osu sens (why would you use such a high dpi outside of osu anyway)
just stick with 400 - 2000 dpi 1x in osu
1680 x 1050. Basically full screen. I have tried several times to use small res, but it was always strange to me. Though it was probably strange because I left my sensitivity the same. I think I might be learning more than the OP in this thread lol.
Topic Starter
[ Hazzy ]
Alright, So I've heard more and recently started alterating my clicks and catching up where I left off (playing 4ish star songs) Here is everything I used based on what you guys have said:

- Res: 1920 x 1080
- Logitech G602 Mouse
- dpi is 600/500
- I have a 15.8 x 17.7 x 0.2 inches mouse pad
If anyone is able to give anymore input based on these specs, that would also be nice :).
XgenSlayer

HazordousLove wrote:

Alright, So I've heard more and recently started alterating my clicks and catching up where I left off (playing 4ish star songs) Here is everything I used based on what you guys have said:

- Res: 1920 x 1080
- Logitech G602 Mouse
- dpi is 600/500
- I have a 15.8 x 17.7 x 0.2 inches mouse pad
If anyone is able to give anymore input based on these specs, that would also be nice :).

That is a pretty low overall DPI considering your resolution, but that's a good thing if you're comfortable with it. That big mouse pad is going to help a lot considering the fact that you'll need to move your mouse quite a bit. :P

The only thing I don't get is the 600/500 DPI part. I would recommend sticking at one DPI instead of changing between the two, if that was that the / meant. Otherwise you're practically just erasing and rebuilding your muscle memory and getting nowhere.
gregest
guys pls,I use 1200 dpi and 0.60x senvisity in osu,1x is too high
Saphirshroom

XgenSlayer wrote:

The only thing I don't get is the 600/500 DPI part. I would recommend sticking at one DPI instead of changing between the two, if that was that the / meant. Otherwise you're practically just erasing and rebuilding your muscle memory and getting nowhere.
Muscle memory isn't as big of a part in osu as people make it out to be. I switched my tablet area like four to five times in order to make it bigger and my aim always improved. It takes about 1 day of getting used to it though so you are right about the fact that it uses time.
XgenSlayer

Saphirshroom wrote:

XgenSlayer wrote:

Muscle memory isn't as big of a part in osu as people make it out to be. I switched my tablet area like four to five times in order to make it bigger and my aim always improved. It takes about 1 day of getting used to it though so you are right about the fact that it uses time.
Well, you get my point, right? It's not harmful to change your settings, but changing your settings often is what causes the problem. Doing what you did (Switching a couple of times and staying at your final setting) is entirely fine, it's just annoying to get used to your new settings each time.
Knit_old_1
just stop playing this game
Achromalia

Ecomattis wrote:

Well if you're a dedicated mouse only player.Meaning, consciously avoiding keyboards or whatever and sticking with mouse only no matter what.

Only advice i'd give is: try to keep your hand relaxed as much as possible no matter what.

Kind of tough to do when you're doing streams and fast maps, but i've found it's relatively impossible to them otherwise without staying relaxed.

Still a nub myself, don't play enough to be good. So i'm not gonna say much.

Just keep your hand relaxed.

Mouse only is pretty tough,it's not for everyone. Probably want to look into kb if you don't like torturing yourself.
Not for the weak of mind.HEH

There are no advantageous to playing mouse only, probably only disadvantageous.
Doing it this way only serves for preference and or a personal challenge. otherwise meh.

Alot of it's up to you.
I can imagine there being more disadvantages, and I'm like a semi-conscious mouse-only player, I know I can switch but my offhand is so much worse. I sorta use the mouse-only like a permanent challenge, but I've still practiced switching to keyboard. I was surprised about many gaving me props to playing 2.8* maps moue-only, I thought they only cared for those that do big 6* maps or something. Im now trying keyboard more often, but I'll use mouse-only as my default, im just not used to committing from one thing to another so suddenly. Also getting better and starting to be able to mouse-only Hard diff maps, around 3.2* and stuff. haven't beaten one yet but I'm getting better and better. Well this post helped me out, thanks peeps :3
Sandy Hoey
This post is 2 years old. I think he is over his problem by now... Try not to Necropost next time. Srsly
Ronja
hahahhah poor dude used so much time writing all that for nothing