forum

Option to adjust the Approach Circle's starting size.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +19
show more
Hadis
I think that's appropriate since you can adjust the scrollspeed in mania too.
Sea_Food
This should be a supported feature, as its already kinda possible just modyfing your skin image files.
Topic Starter
abraker

Sea_Food wrote:

This should be a supported feature, as its already kinda possible just modyfing your skin image files.
If you do that, then the approach circle's minimum size will not equal to the size of the hit circle.
Sea_Food
Thats why you use a two sized hit circle. One where the downsized approach circle hits, and one that indicates the hit box. With good coloring/shading/texture you can make it so that its not confusing at all.
Topic Starter
abraker

Sea_Food wrote:

Thats why you use a two sized hit circle. One where the downsized approach circle hits, and one that indicates the hit box. With good coloring/shading/texture you can make it so that its not confusing at all.
You still have the original circle (indicating the hit box) + another circle. I can't imagine how having a thick/double approach circle would not be even more cluttered. I think it's a feature worth considering. And going with what hadis1000 said, my accuracy changes dramatically on different scroll speeds in mania. Having this would allow players to find that sweet spot where the approach circle isn't too big to overlap a bunch of other approach circles, yet not so small that you don't know when to hit it.

Updated the first thread with the depiction of the idea.
autoteleology
I like this idea.
Italo
If I had stars I would shoot them, totally support but I don't think that people will aprove this since that can make the gameplay more easy in some cases.
Topic Starter
abraker

Italo wrote:

If I had stars I would shoot them, totally support but I don't think that people will aprove this since that can make the gameplay more easy in some cases.
It's the equivalent to the scroll speed in mania. I don't see the problem.
If you put "ApproachCircleStartingSize: 4" on a high AR map, for instance, the approach circle would be huge and speeding inwards. On a low approach rate, it would be going inward slower.
Bara-
Just set the setting lower
Ar 10 will be ar 9 speed
Inb4Free ar10 fc's
gregest

baraatje123 wrote:

Just set the setting lower
Ar 10 will be ar 9 speed
Inb4Free ar10 fc's
you can use gamma too :^)
Gumpy

Italo wrote:

I don't think that people will aprove this since that can make the gameplay easy
manjumochi
Why not make a new easy mod (using something like this), trully easy (because actual easy isn't that easy). Or even a beginner mod.
Topic Starter
abraker

Gumpyyy wrote:

Italo wrote:

I don't think that people will aprove this since that can make the gameplay easy
The amount of time the approach circle and the hit circle stay on screen doesn't change with this feature. Also, hit circle size also remains the same, according to the maps' parameters. The only thing this feature affects is the starting approach circle size and the speed at which it becomes smaller as it goes to the size of the hit circle. That means the time frame you have to hit the note stays the same, and the required accuracy to position the cursor on the note (which is big or small according to CS) stays the same. Therefore, the difficult of the map remains unchanged. The approach circle is there to help you approximate when to hit the notes. More advanced players use hidden because they don't need that help and hit the notes by hearing and following the rhythm.
Dephix
bumping, gigantic approach circles ftw
Deva
Bad idea. Would make higher ARs easier. Would be same as asking for custom AR on every map.
Bauxe

HK_ wrote:

Bad idea. Would make higher ARs easier. Would be same as asking for custom AR on every map.
Not at all, the circles would still close over the same time period, the speed would be adjusted.
Deva

Bauxe wrote:

Not at all, the circles would still close over the same time period, the speed would be adjusted.
Im sorry but peppy cant change the laws of physics.
Dephix

HK_ wrote:

this wouldn't change the AR, this is about changing the speed of approach circles.
Deva

Dephix wrote:

HK_ wrote:

this wouldn't change the AR, this is about changing the speed of approach circles.
In orded for approach circle to cover smaller distance during same amount of time its speed has to DECREASE and thus AR11 could be made AR9 just by decreasing travel distance enough.

BAD IDEA.

But if you are willing to change the laws of physics and actually increase the speed im all for it.
Bauxe

HK_ wrote:

In orded for approach circle to cover smaller distance during same amount of time its speed has to DECREASE and thus AR11 could be made AR9 just by decreasing travel distance enough.

BAD IDEA.

But if you are willing to change the laws of physics and actually increase the speed im all for it.
AR11 refers to the circles closing over 300ms. AR9 refers to the circles closing over 600ms. The distance the circles travel in closing is already affected by circle size. You are completely incorrect.
Deva

Bauxe wrote:

HK_ wrote:

BAD IDEA.

AR11 refers to the circles closing over 300ms. AR9 refers to the circles closing over 600ms. The distance the circles travel in closing is already affected by circle size. You are completely incorrect.
THE SPEED OF IT CLOSING IN WOULD BE THE SAME.

AR11 isnt so hard because it takes 300ms to hit the hit circle but because AR11 takes 300ms to cross the SAME DISTANCE it takes AR10 450ms which means that its velocity increases. If you simply decrease that distance enough AR11 would become slower than AR10 and thus easier. And AR11 obviously shouldnt be easier than AR10.
Bara-
No need to caps and/or double post for this. It's about the time, not the speed. Also, larger approachcircles will make it go faster, but the time you need to look at it is much shorter
I like this idea
Bauxe

HK_ wrote:

AR11 isnt so hard because it takes 300ms to hit the hit circle but because AR11 takes 300ms to cross the SAME DISTANCE it takes AR10 450ms which means that its velocity increases. If you simply decrease that distance enough AR11 would become slower than AR10 and thus easier. And AR11 obviously shouldnt be easier than AR10.
Do you really think this would be implemented in a way that causes this?

If this were to be implemented, the speed the circle closes would be faster in order to cover an increased distance in the same period of time.
Deva

Bauxe wrote:

Do you really think this would be implemented in a way that causes this?

If this were to be implemented, the speed the circle closes would be faster in order to cover an increased distance in the same period of time.
Are you aware that you are trying to turn my statement against me?

Im pretty sure we were talking about decreasing the distance and increasing the speed while at it. Please dont use my statements to defend against them.

baraatje123 wrote:

It's about the time, not the speed. Also, larger approachcircles will make it go faster, but the time you need to look at it is much shorter
I like this idea
He said that time stays the same so its not about the time but speed. He also said that he wanted smaller approach circles that go faster not larger.

I used edit. You happy now?
Yauxo
Can you finally stop trying to use "AR11 here, AR11 there" in every damn opinion you post? We dont effing care about AR11. Jeez.
Edit, because I wont post a new post because of that: I give up. I cant help you and I dont think that you'd be willing to be helped. But hey, let's not connect new combos with the followpoint, it could kill AR11 hurr durr

Ontopic: I know that I personally wont use it, but it looks like something people might want, so halfsupport I guess?
Deva

Yauxo wrote:

Can you finally stop trying to use "AR11 here, AR11 there" in every damn opinion you post? We dont effing care about AR11. Jeez.
You actually dont care about anything i say so why sould i listen to you?
Also i just use AR11 where i see it fit. If i think it fits everywhere ill just use it everywhere.
Bara-
You're constantly talking about ar 11 would be easier then ar 10 this way, difference between those, are times, not velocities
Also, the speed goes up, but the time it is om-screen stays the same, thus the difficulty doesn't get changed (as it's still 300ms)
It only ease reading for a few players
Deva
But you never actually look at the whole approach circle (except really low ARs). Thats why if you simply reduced its size to what you actually can catch it will make everything easier because at that moment you can see it it will be slower.
Bara-
The object still appears at the same time, I for example don't look much the approachcircles, but the hitcircles
Speed of the approachcircles doesn't matter to that
Deva
Im sick of repeating same thing over and over again. Just dont cry if it gets implemented. hahaha lol nope
Bara-
You know you're the only one against it, right?
Topic Starter
abraker
Apperently my own thread got bumped, and I didn't even get an email notification :/ Anyway...

HK_ wrote:

This is idea has nothing to do with changing AR. The AR depends on the rate the approach circles appear compared to when you need to hit them. This is just asking to allow a size change. This means that smaller approach circle will get smaller slower and huge approach circles get smaller faster to compensate for the rate from the time which they appear to the time to which they need to be hit.

HK_ wrote:

He also said that he wanted smaller approach circles that go faster not larger.
Wait... what?
Deva

abraker wrote:

This means that smaller approach circle will get smaller slower and huge approach circles get smaller faster
Exactly that is the problem what im talking about. Because lets say you focus at approach circle when it traveled half of the distance already. If you actually set starting distance to be the half of the original its approach rate will decrease and like that you get lower AR which is easier to read.

If nothing else at least you arent trying to change the laws of physics like others...
Bauxe

HK_ wrote:

abraker wrote:

This means that smaller approach circle will get smaller slower and huge approach circles get smaller faster
Exactly that is the problem what im talking about. Because lets say you focus at approach circle when it traveled half of the distance already. If you actually set starting distance to be the half of the original its approach rate will decrease and like that you get lower AR which is easier to read.

If nothing else at least you arent trying to change the laws of physics like others...
What does this have to do with the laws of physics?

Approach rate is difficult at higher values because of the time you have to react from when the circle appears, not due to where the approach circle is.
Topic Starter
abraker
HK_, I believe your understanding of AR is not right. Can you define "approach rate" for me just to be sure we are on the same page, please?
Bauxe
This should help you understand how it will work HK_

http://puu.sh/iuzHj/34f7ec81ef.mp4
Topic Starter
abraker
^ Nice! Added to the first post!
Dephix
im neutral on this, maybe everything is fine as it is now lol.
Yazumi
Excellent idea! :) Supp