forum

[Archived] Osu port via Mono?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tasem
Hello, I recently switched to Ubuntu Lucid pretty much permanently, and I've tried to get Osu! working through wine endless times to no avail. So, since Osu! is pretty much one of two things I miss about Windows, and because I saw an old thread about this saying something to the effect of a port being planned for early this year, I wanted to see if there were any updates to this I didn't know about.

(If I should've posted on the other thread, sorry, I wasn't sure whether I should post here or necropost over there soo...)

In any case, Osu! Rocks, so yeah.
Neo Adonis
Just wait. Porting, believe it or not, is a hard task. If all is of our side, we'll see it soon, but trust me when I say it's HARD, with all the Windows dependences and techincal stuff.

EDIT: At now, I think peppy is still developing osu! on Windows, so it could be released the port more than we think...
Topic Starter
Tasem
Ahh, I see. Yeah, I realize porting to a whole different OS is probably very difficult, so I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to know where I stood so I know what I'm going to do. I'm more addicted to this game than I thought so now I'm looking into virtualbox ;w; Anyway, thanks~
indrora
Well, it's worth a shot. It depends on what kind of libraries Osu! uses for its stuff.

It'd be cool to see what would happen if you just compiled Osu! using Mono's compiler tools (I'm assuming its written in C#?)
nardii
It wouldn't compile. Someday all XNA and other win32 stuff will be removed and it will work using Mono, but who knows when?
peppy
To be honest, getting osu! to display and make sounds on mono is a few hours work. I have already got this far. It is all the intricacies that make it hard. Things like keyboard layouts, multiple language input support, external calls, window handling, timing, updating, distribution, obfuscation/protection, optimisations etc.

This isn't to say it won't happen, though.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

To be honest, getting osu! to display and make sounds on mono is a few hours work. I have already got this far. It is all the intricacies that make it hard. Things like keyboard layouts, multiple language input support, external calls, window handling, timing, updating, distribution, obfuscation/protection, optimisations etc.

This isn't to say it won't happen, though.
I think the only thing that matters for most Linux users is "make it playable". I wouldn't mind getting more bugs or not having DVORAK/AZERTY/whatever supported, or the game being slower (my PC is good enough...), and not being able to automatically update (I can still reinstall), if I'm running Linux. (At least I don't think I'd mind.)

How does obfuscation change if you're 'targetting' Mono...?
peppy
It already is playable via wine.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

It already is playable via wine.
Not on my machine, at least. =[

VirtualBox isn't too much better.

Could be an ATI driver issue ...? Dunno.
Topic Starter
Tasem
It isn't. I run a Macbook Nvidia Geforce 9400M and it refuses to work. I haven't tried Virtualbox yet but only because of some dumb thing with the CD installation(of windows) not wanting to work O:

Then again, I'm relatively new to linux in terms of actual usage experience, there are any number of things I could have done wrong.

--edit: written from my slightly broke windows 7 while i play long dream on osu. I am so hooked it's sad ;w;