forum

retries

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tehu Tehu
am i the only one here that getting really bad at a song when i retry it like 50+ times straight ?
like wtf im trying to practice the map and im only doing worse than before
is that something psychological ? or im just a retard lol
Yuudachi-kun
No, which is why I usually switch to a new song when that happens, except in rare cases when I try 60+ times to fc.
Topic Starter
Tehu Tehu

Kheldragar wrote:

No, which is why I usually switch to a new song when that happens, except in rare cases when I try 60+ times to fc.
im not comparing myself to rrtyui or something [hes a god im an ant] , but he played a song 2 hours straight and fc'd it
i played a song 30 minutes straight and now i cant even pass it , its making me crazy i dont know what im doing wrong
Yuudachi-kun

N3rbex wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

im not comparing myself to rrtyui or something [hes a god im an ant] , but he played a song 2 hours straight and fc'd it
i played a song 30 minutes straight and now i cant even pass it , its making me crazy i dont know what im doing wrong
Then play a different song. I don't know about you, but somehow playing a song 1 hr straight to fc it drained me of all my osu energy for the day.
Almost
Everyone is different, but most people tend to stop concentrating as much when they spam retry a song for a lengthy period of time.
leepdesu

Kheldragar wrote:

Then play a different song. I don't know about you, but somehow playing a song 1 hr straight to fc it drained me of all my osu energy for the day.
If retrying makes you tired or worse at the game, then rest or play another song (that is of similar skill).
GoldenWolf
Yes it's perfectly normal when you don't have good retry habits

The more you retry the same map, to more you start losing focus and making more and more mistakes to the point you can't play that map anymore

Solution: Actively focus each second of each try and retry so you don't develop bad habits on the map
Or just don't retry so much
Yuudachi-kun

-LeeP- wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

If retrying makes you tired or worse at the game, then rest or play another song (that is of similar skill).
N E V E R G I V E U P

Only temporarily give up. 8-)
leepdesu

Kheldragar wrote:

N E V E R G I V E U P

Only temporarily give up. 8-)
R E T R Y B O Y S
Aerislol
don´t make retry a habit.
just play through the map a as many times as possible.
the retry builds up way to much frustration ( personal opinion of-course )
also, after 50 retries and you finally manage to get through that difficult part, and end up failing on a slide breaker or an easy note right before a FC.. gotta love that.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice!
B1rd

GoldenWolf wrote:

Yes it's perfectly normal when you don't have good retry habits

The more you retry the same map, to more you start losing focus and making more and more mistakes to the point you can't play that map anymore

Solution: Actively focus each second of each try and retry so you don't develop bad habits on the map
Or just don't retry so much
Retrying habits.. that's an interesting concept. Seems like good advice though; I think when you retry you start to get complacent, take shortcuts, rely on memory and not sightreading etc which makes you play worse. Though I notice that a lot of better players seem to be able to maintain focus and consistency on the same map even after loads of retrying, long past the point when people like me would be shitmissing everywhere and would have a snowball's chance in hell at FCing the map.
WWW for example, I am amazed he could keep playing Diamond for so long, maintain acc every time and then eventually nail the jumps at the end.
Spirit_Dreamer
Well that's absolutely normal for a human being.Repeating something makes you lose focus more.I rarely retry because of that.Prefer to finish the song.If I want to play it again for FC it then I'm taking at least 30-60 sec break to relax and raise my concentration again but even with breaks it's easier to go for another map.As for those players that manages to retry a lot without a problem I wonder how they manage their concentration level without a break or changing map.In my eyes that's inhuman.
Saphirshroom
Don't spam retry, you'll just reinforce bad habits if you do't know what you're doing.

This applies especially when the map is too hard for you (which it quite clearly is since you said you couldn't even pass it after retrying a lot). Playing through a song without paying attention to your mistakes will just lead to you doing the same mistakes over and over again.
_Kisume
First attempt is always best attempt, you're not alone
ZenithPhantasm
If you're doing bad on a map what makes you think retrying will help you do better? Only idiots repeat the same mistakes and learn absolutely nothing from them.
E m i

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

If you're doing bad on a map what makes you think retrying will help you do better? Only idiots repeat the same mistakes and learn absolutely nothing from them.
t-thanks... :D
Yuudachi-kun
I know I can, said Thomas.
winber1
this guy has a mustache. he's a fucking poser. shun the non-believer.
Black Wolf159
If you're capable to FC the song, you can retry or play the part that you're failing until you get FC. Only for that I think you should retry a song, not things like Airman nor Big Black when you know that you can't even do x100 combo.
Gigo
OP, I hope this can help you a little:
http://ask.fm/thelewa/answer/122918676470

Add variety to your playing session. Try to limit your retries on a map to, let's say, five and then move on to something else. You can always return to that map later.
Hydra105
Maybe I'm just a masochist, but I actually enjoy retying things like 30+ times in a row. It doesn't really feel like I'm trying otherwise.
Green Platinum

Hydra105 wrote:

Maybe I'm just a masochist, but I actually enjoy retying things like 30+ times in a row. It doesn't really feel like I'm trying otherwise.
Maybe but it's devastating when your first attempt was also your best.
DahplA
It's because when you keep playing a map, you start to get past the harder parts easier, therefore not trying as much as you used to. Basically you just underestimate the map or just get lazy. I'd just switch it up.
Mahogany
Definitely switch it up IMO. Once you get past a certain point the whole thing kinda mushes together and before you know it you're in a very bad mood and on your 30th retry.

Make a collection of maps you wanna get a FC of and keep cycling through them every 5 retries
I Give Up
Personally I get better after each retry. If the song is too fast then I get worse due to tiredness.
-Atri-
Freedom dive HT, over 200 tries
Daydream cafe and hoshizora no ima, over 150 tries

You're not alone here