forum

How important is relative device positioning?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
I've had no issues when it comes to SSing od8's and getting 98-99% on od7+dt but when it comes to od8+dt and od9.8/10 [hard rock] i feel like it's more than just my medicore skill that's causing some of these 100's.

Let me elaborate, for the past 6 months I have been playing with my keyboard resting in my lap and my hand resting on my thigh because it is right next to my tablet which is located on a table to my right, however when I see I'm ending up with 7-8% less accuracy on hard rock plays than I would get mid last year, I'm starting to be convinced the way the keyboard moves up and down when I tap is having quite an impact on my unstable rate.

Because of this, I'm debating whether i should place it back on the flat, stable surface that is higher and more in front of me, which would mean my tapping arm would be extended with most of the weight of my arm on my palm on the desk, and my aiming arm would be bent and relaxed at my side. Do you think the importance of having both devices close for symmetry is too important for hand synchronization or that it's fine and I can just do it the way I used to?
ZenithPhantasm
A video or a picture of the problem would be nice.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
im like 215 lbs and i press pretty hard into black switches so that should give some idea of the amount of keyboard bounce.
its not exactly resting on bone.
ZenithPhantasm

Riince wrote:

im like 215 lbs so that should give some idea of the amount of keyboard bounce.
its not exactly resting on bone.
Wow that's heavy. Weight jokes aside I think you should just put it where its most comfortable for you. You can easily regain hand synchronization using the tried and proven method of playing more.
E m i

Riince wrote:

the importance of having both devices close for symmetry is too important for hand synchronization
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
please explain, i didn't understand anything...
cheezstik
I`d definitely put it on the desk, how could you put up with a shaky keyboard? That would fuck your accuracy so hard, as if you bothered posting a wall of text just to ask.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko

cheezstik wrote:

I`d definitely put it on the desk, how could you put up with a shaky keyboard? That would fuck your accuracy so hard, as if you bothered posting a wall of text just to ask.
i got used to it, but im starting to see there are some limitations just being used to it arent going to help with, and just wanted a second opinion since changing setups sucks.
E m i

cheezstik wrote:

this.
regardless of how the positioning of peripherals affects hand synchronization :|
Ichi
Let´s not put excuses anyway, you´re accuraccy is not good enough for that OD. That said, you should play in a more stable surface, but no positioning has nothing to do with it if you are used to that position (unless of course it is uncomfortable or painful). Go and make some maps OD 10 and grind with that also.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko

Ichi wrote:

Let´s not put excuses anyway, you´re accuraccy is not good enough for that OD..
I'm ending up with 7-8% less accuracy on hard rock plays than I would get mid last year
:roll: no excuses, ive definitely not become a less accurate player since i had under 2kpp
leepdesu
my keyboard and mouse/tablet is always below my elbow
Ichi

Riince wrote:

Ichi wrote:

Let´s not put excuses anyway, you´re accuraccy is not good enough for that OD..
I'm ending up with 7-8% less accuracy on hard rock plays than I would get mid last year
:roll: no excuses, ive definitely not become a less accurate player since i had under 2kpp

The beauty of learning :D
koromo

Riince wrote:

for the past 6 months I have been playing with my keyboard resting in my lap and my hand resting on my thigh because it is right next to my tablet which is located on a table to my right
Wow I can't believe you play like this. How do you even.

Sounds outright uncomfortable and detrimental to both accuracy and consistency. I think you should put it on the desk.
Yuudachi-kun
Changing my keyboard position helped with stream speed. weeeeeee
winber1

koromo wrote:

Sounds outright uncomfortable and detrimental to both accuracy and consistency. I think you should put it on the desk.
hi kawaiimo
koromo

winber1 wrote:

hi kawaiimo
winburger

hi
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko

koromo wrote:

Riince wrote:

for the past 6 months I have been playing with my keyboard resting in my lap and my hand resting on my thigh because it is right next to my tablet which is located on a table to my right

i mean everyone says do whats comfortable and then it turns out to be the wrong idea :|

ive decided to compromise, i have my keyboard on my lap but its now on a piece of wood which my wrist rests on, this ensures the keyboard and my hand stay at exactly the same location in relation.

i believe this solves my issue, but the question can still remain i guess.
B1rd
the positions of your tablet and keyboard makes no difference. I've seen a lot of players play with a large variety of tablet and keyboard positioning. I've seen people play with their arms at a right angle. You should probably just put your keyboard on a stable surface.
winber1
why train accuracy when you can train speed

???
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

???
dont really care about acc but when im getting 100's that clearly shouldnt have happened it gets on my nerves.
makes hard rock impossible without nofail
not anymore though, my acc is a lot more consistent now, all it took was a piece of wood..
Synpoo

Riince wrote:

wood..
hehehhehehehehe
buny

winber1 wrote:

???
legitimate point
Hydra105
Damn that's pretty bizarre to put the keyboard on your lap. No idea whether or not it would limit you that much, but my guess would be probably a little. For what its worth a sc2 pro named sheth used to do the same thing, so it's possible to do well I guess.

Regarding the actual device positioning, I seriously doubt that it matters how close or far apart the keyboard and tablet are.
winber1

Hydra105 wrote:

Regarding the actual device positioning, I seriously doubt that it matters how close or far apart the keyboard and tablet are.
tablet and keyboard distance further than arm span master race??
ZenithPhantasm

winber1 wrote:

Hydra105 wrote:

tablet and keyboard distance further than arm span master race??
Sweet Shalquoir
Tbh I played in a similar fashion for some time, keyboard on lap, due to lack of space on my table. You're not alone in this Riince ;D
When it comes to hand synchronization however I don't really understand why would it be an issue?? As long as it feels comfortable it should be fine.
If you're having troubles, then changing device positioning to find what works the best is easy enough. No need to complicate things imho ._.
Gumpy

B1rd wrote:

You should probably just put your keyboard on a stable surface.
winber1

Gumpyyy wrote:

B1rd wrote:

You should probably just put your keyboard on a stable surface.
like his rock-hard quadraceps
ZenithPhantasm
What if he skipped leg day.
bigfeh
While it is true that changing setups is a bitch, it's a bigger bitch to change from a setup you're more used to. Change early, change easy.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, just put it on the table, symmetry isn't important. Comfort is what matters
teasp00n
I've had my keyboard in my lap since I started. 8-)

I don't think positioning affect accuracy. But I believe finding a nice ergonomic position is important to avoid unesseary... escseary. ese... DAMNIT! *google*... unnecessary strain on all joints.

English wai yoo so hard :(