forum

Mechanical Keyboard for Osu Mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Haven
My keyboard is starting to break :S
Sometimes a key gets stuck and so.
I'll give from 1$ to 120$ for a keyboard?
I might give up to 150$ if needed.

I'd like an mechanical keyboard? " I heard that they're better for Osu Mania when you are at the " harder " levels.
IamBaum
I can recommend a QPAD Mechanical keyboard, especially if u wanna hold the price low.
QPAD mk-50 = 80€/90$ (At least the german prices)
The mk-50 is without LED's but if u really want em then u could get a MK-70+
I'm using red switches and i really like em, but that's a matter of taste, i think most of the ppl use Blue/red switches but i'm no expert myself ^^

But about the question if they are "better" then i have to say... don't know (At least i didn't improve from upgrading to a mechanical keyboard 2 months ago) but maybe u need to be on a higher level for a really obvious improvement.
Elementaires
Any keyboard can bring you to a "high" level

And dont necessarely buy an expensive keyboard just for osumania lol
lenpai
Have a keyboard that has keys similar to the "feel" your breking keyboard provides. Why? So that there won't be unecessary familiarization.
Aqo
tfw I own a mechanical keyboard and I don't use it for mania
Topic Starter
Haven

Elementaires wrote:

Any keyboard can bring you to a "high" level

And dont necessarely buy an expensive keyboard just for osumania lol
Well i have other keyboards but they're pretty much broken, Like 1m clicks on every key xD
5 hours typing a day for like 4 years

( Work ) :S
lenpai
Just sharing. Macbook pro keyboard op. 2 years of active rhythm gaming (in that said keyboard) and only "z" lost some of its paint. Keys still work perfectly.

You guys may now throw bags of attention and call me an apple fanboy :v
CephiCC
Chiclet keyboards tend to be pretty good for mania because they have almost no actuation force. (CHICLET = LAPTOP KEYBOARDS)

Mech boards provide a very consistent experience, that chiclet keyboards can't.

I recommend MX Blues for loud clicky, MX Browns for silent clicky, and MX reds for non-clicky. MX Reds have lowest actuation force, which means that they require the least amount of force to press down. Blues and Browns require similar amounts of force to click down, and are moderate. I do NOT recommend MX Blacks or Clears, or Greens or any of that other shit because they're so heavy and Mania will wear your hands out so fast.

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-R ... B0068INSUM Super cheap, right?
Bobbias
Before I say anything, I'll say this: As long as your keyboard works, you can use it at the top skill levels. It's all about personal preference.

All this information and much more is available on the Deskthority Wiki: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page

Cherry MX Blue switches are not particularly good for anything that requires fast key actuation. They are generally considered the best switches for typists/programmers and anyone else who primarily uses their keyboard for entering a lot of text. However, because of their two part construction it makes it much harder to minimize the travel distance when pressing the key. Blues do have a lighter actuation force than Blacks do, but not quite as light as Reds or Browns.

MX Blue - Tactile, Clicky, 50 cN actuation force
MX Black - Linear, 60 cN actuation force
MX Brown - Tactile, 45 cN actuation force
Mx Red - Linear, 45 cN actuation force

I should point out that Reds are harder to locate than the others, and

Here are some animations. Notice how the Blue has a two part construction. Also notice how the Brown has a similar looking bump on the plastic slider, where the black and red don't:

EDIT: Oops, originally had blues listed as 80 cN. Thanks Drace.
Drace
ye

Though blues are 50cN, greens are the stiffer variant of blues at 80cN (probly a typo) :P
Bobbias
Yeah, I probably just glanced at the wrong spot in the table when typing that out.
ikzune
drace would have to step in here but there are 2 reasons why mech keyboards are better and they aren't really relevant u will still get just as good on any keyboard that you get used to

mech keyboards should last longer, ik my laptop keyboards on average last at least 2 years and i put them in bad conditions

apparently with a certain key pressure the keys actually go back up with you or something rather then raising ur fingers, getting used to playing like this may may provide a different feel and make jacks easier, i need reminding on the specifics on this but its still a factor.

tldr keyboard threads are really starting to annoy me now...
Baerenbruder
I use Rubberdome. <3
Jonirulah
I Have Cherry Red and im going very good, but if u wanna play osu!mania with high difficulties i would recommend to get 1ms keyboard
CephiCC
tldr mechanical boards >

get blues/browns/reds or lighter. blacks simply wear out your hands too fast
Yuudachi-kun

CephiCC wrote:

tldr mechanical boards >

get blues/browns/reds or lighter. blacks simply wear out your hands too fast