Topic Starter
Shakira
ok.. people of osu.
please explain snapping in details.
and explain to me what not snapping is
videos would be very helpful <3
ZenithPhantasm
buny
snapping is when you use sharp movements to get to the next note position, generally getting there before you actually need to get there
the opposite is flow movement, where you keep your cursor "with the speed of the map"

snapping looks like a less extreme autopilot
flow looks like you're playing relax mod
Noobsicle
seasons greetings frum professor noobsicle wiff luv

B1rd
I like a flowy cursor movement. With proper flowing you need more awareness of the cursor location, and the slight changes of speed and distance between the circles.
leepdesu
isn't snapping easier to do on mouse?
Athrun

-LeeP- wrote:

I've been playing with a mouse, and I try to snap but fail. The only person I know who can snap really well is Potofu
cheezstik

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

-LeeP- wrote:

I've been playing with a mouse, and I try to snap but fail. The only person I know who can snap really well is Potofu
You probably don't know many top mouse players (or mouse players at all then), namely doomsday, one of the hardest snappers who also happens to be a mouse player.
buny

-LeeP- wrote:

yes, because of the mass of the mouse and friction
E m i

cheezstik wrote:

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

You probably don't know many top mouse players (or mouse players at all then), namely doomsday, one of the hardest snappers who also happens to be a mouse player.
ril is the best snapper 8-)
Ichi
Actually noobsicle´s example isn´t the best. It is easier to flow when you have a slow and almost no-spaced map, snapping is only actually usefull when you have jumps or a considerable distance between notes. Snapping is basically going fast from note to note, and in lineal (non circular) motions. That´s it do not put much thought into it.

That being said, snapping is easier when on higher AR. Cause you´re actually reaching the note when you have to hit, and not before (that fucks up your reading )

Example of flow players: WubWoofWolf
Example of snap players: Omgforz, Azer.
buny

Ichi wrote:

Actually noobsicle´s example isn´t the best. It is easier to flow when you have a slow and almost no-spaced map, snapping is only actually usefull when you have jumps or a considerable distance between notes. Snapping is basically going fast from note to note, and in lineal (non circular) motions. That´s it do not put much thought into it.

That being said, snapping is easier when on higher AR. Cause you´re actually reaching the note when you have to hit, and not before (that fucks up your reading )

Example of flow players: WubWoofWolf
Example of snap players: Omgforz, Azer.
you're telling me you VERY slowly move your cursor to the next note on a low bpm, low spaced map?
Ichi
I never said that, but actually when notes are right next to each other, there is no need for snapping. And yes i do move my cursor slowly on slow bpm.

All i said was that it´s a better example to see both insane diff´s comparison, and not one when actually snapping is not required or appropiate.
buny
i don't think you know what snapping is, because it's a waste of energy forcing flow movement on slow maps
Noobsicle
the thing is i find it difficult to display flow movement properly since i'm more snappy less flowy-ish if you know what i'm saying

perhaps it would have been a better idea to record the same difficulty, but then i'd need to make flow/snapping movements more exaggerated than they already are so people can actually see the difference

i agree that the video isn't the best, but it should give people a basic understanding of flow vs snap
ZenithPhantasm

buny wrote:

snapping looks like a less extreme autopilot
flow looks like you're playing relax mod
ZenithPhantasm

Here's a shitty example of snapping. Note how my cursor darts to each circle instead of slowly running into it.

Flowing=Moving cursor in sync with the pace of the song
Snapping=Moving cursor out of sync to ensure you aim at each note
leepdesu
^ mouse or tablet? i can't tell :C
ZenithPhantasm

-LeeP- wrote:

^ mouse or tablet? i can't tell :C
Mouse. I can play with both but Im far better with mouse (tablet has a craptastically unusable 0.5cm max read distance)

TL;DR: Don't buy refurb tablet
Nathan
Snapping will increase your hand sync as you will have a larger window to tap while your cursor is on the circle
Green Platinum

sukiNathan wrote:

Snapping will increase your hand sync as you will have a larger window to tap while your cursor is on the circle
It doesn't matter how synced you are if you are getting 100's from hitting early.
E m i

Green Platinum wrote:

sukiNathan wrote:

It doesn't matter how synced you are if you are getting 100's from hitting early.
it's a separate issue...