forum

No idea how PP works now

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Evanlet
Hey, so I'm back on Osu! after an extended (2+ years) break and I haven't a clue how PP works... I've gotten a few highscores but it seems my rank either DROPS (assuming someone beat my scores not long after), or doesn't move at all...

After my last 4 maps, I went from rank 1299 (I think), to 1303. So if anyone could enlighten me as to how exactly it works I'd be much appreciative. From what I've read you should only need top#500 to gain some sort of PP, or to not give a fuck at all. Just to clear things up I'm just wondering how the system works, I don't give a fuck about a rank I probably don't deserve in the first place.
sayonara_sekai
bascially the higher your PP is the better your plays need to be to gain any. at your rank SSing a od8 4star map wouldnt give you anything but for a rank 30k it would be like 2k ranks.
Bauxe
Oh shit it's Evanlet.

Any score counts towards PP now. Rather than your map rank having an effect on PP worth, it is instead calculated based on the map its self. Primary factors are accuracy and combo.

As this is the age of PP farm, you are probably dropping ranks due to people farming PP and passing you. There isn't really much more to say on the matter I suppose.
ZenithPhantasm
DT=pp
All you need to know.
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

DT=pp
All you need to know.
hahahahahahaha
Topic Starter
Evanlet
Hi all, thanks for your informative answers.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

DT=pp
All you need to know.
Yeah.... I only generally play DT and go for highscores and was wondering why I never got any PP which is the reason for this thread.
buny
the skill level has increased a LOT since you quit

what you dt'd that was considered good before, is considered pretty mediocre to the dt population

there have also been a lot of maps that give artificially high amounts of pp. Most people abuse this and so the rankings list is fucked up even more
Topic Starter
Evanlet
Yup, I've definitely realized that the median skill level has substantially increased since I quit many years ago so I've been trying to catch up. Thus far Ive done Snake Eyes, Mind in Motion, Courage to tell a Lie, Natsukoi Hanabi and Hot Right Now DT and I've got much more to improve on!
Vuelo Eluko
i almost didnt believe you but then i saw that the last time you played was about 8 months before i even registered.

Wow.

Also what the heck is going on with your performance graph

what you dt'd that was considered good before, is considered pretty mediocre to the dt population
i dont know, theyre pretty impressive to me but then again im still at the very bottom level as far as DT players go
Topic Starter
Evanlet
I actually don't know haha. I left when I was rank #374, and I guess it decayed to #500 something before disappearing completely. Came back as rank #500ish, played a map and was placed #1300.
leepdesu
Wow #1k problems. :C
buny
you did improve very fast and reached a high rank in a low time span

catching up shouldnt be a problem for you
Rewben2
damn welcome back, i haven't even met you but I used to stalk your profile because you were a top australian player huehue

I'll try to summarize ppv2 for you; Plays you make are worth an amount of pp based on your max combo, the amount of misses, accuracy, star difficulty etc. It has nothing to do with the ranking you have on the map, you could have first place or be 2000th. These scores are then ordered from highest pp to lowest pp and have a weighting applied to them, as you can see on your top ranks on your profile. The weighted x% is how much of that specific score will count towards your total pp, so your top play which is 100% weighted and worth 291pp will contribute 291pp to your total, the next is 95% and 277pp so will contribute (95% of 277=263) 263pp to your total and so forth.. And it eventually goes down to very low weightings, where they contribute next to nothing to your total pp. Because of this, if the plays you make aren't in your top performances, you probably aren't going to get any pp for the play at all. Well you will, it will just be a decimal and a very small amount and won't change the whole number

You don't lose pp unless you replace a score with a different score that is worth less pp. For example a 100% nomod score is replaced by a 96% HD score, the HD score is worth less pp but it has a higher score so replaces it. This is being changed soon, though.

Your rank has been going down from you setting plays because when you set a score, it updates your profile. Since it was last updated, people would have set scores themselves and passed you in pp and therefore passed you in rank.

If you want me to clarify anything/ask anything specific I'll be glad to help
ZenithPhantasm
Rewben for senpai 2015.
Rewben2
dam
Vuelo Eluko
i remember back when rewben posted regularly
Rewben2

Riince wrote:

yeah then i died rip
cheezstik

Riince wrote:

I remember when you said you'd keep your pp in line with your post count, I don't see no 3.3k pp on your profile u liar m8
ZenithPhantasm

cheezstik wrote:

Riince wrote:

I remember when you said you'd keep your pp in line with your post count, I don't see no 3.3k pp on your profile u liar m8
^^^^^^
Topic Starter
Evanlet

Rewben2 wrote:

damn welcome back, i haven't even met you but I used to stalk your profile because you were a top australian player huehue

I'll try to summarize ppv2 for you; Plays you make are worth an amount of pp based on your max combo, the amount of misses, accuracy, star difficulty etc. It has nothing to do with the ranking you have on the map, you could have first place or be 2000th. These scores are then ordered from highest pp to lowest pp and have a weighting applied to them, as you can see on your top ranks on your profile. The weighted x% is how much of that specific score will count towards your total pp, so your top play which is 100% weighted and worth 291pp will contribute 291pp to your total, the next is 95% and 277pp so will contribute (95% of 277=263) 263pp to your total and so forth.. And it eventually goes down to very low weightings, where they contribute next to nothing to your total pp. Because of this, if the plays you make aren't in your top performances, you probably aren't going to get any pp for the play at all. Well you will, it will just be a decimal and a very small amount and won't change the whole number

You don't lose pp unless you replace a score with a different score that is worth less pp. For example a 100% nomod score is replaced by a 96% HD score, the HD score is worth less pp but it has a higher score so replaces it. This is being changed soon, though.

Your rank has been going down from you setting plays because when you set a score, it updates your profile. Since it was last updated, people would have set scores themselves and passed you in pp and therefore passed you in rank.

If you want me to clarify anything/ask anything specific I'll be glad to help
Hi, thanks for your explanation! Nice to meet you. You're completely right, ranking definitely has no role in PP calculation.

The PP system is still kinda strange to me, I just shamefully DT'd Tsunamaru - Daidai Genome [Insane] for rank #987 (96%) and jumped up 46ish ranks on the first attempt, whereas I also just DT'd Mind Vortex - Alive (SS 100%) placing me at rank #5 and gained 0 pp, sending me one rank backwards (as you said, someone else set scores and passed me during that time). I certainly know which one was more difficult too. I guess if I feel like flying up ranks I'd better check peoples top ranks and play those maps, hehe.
Synpoo
make sure you HDDT 100% koigokoro for 500pp huehuehue
Vuelo Eluko

exozion wrote:

make sure you HDDT 100% koigokoro for 500pp huehuehue
pretty much
Topic Starter
Evanlet
Will do when I feel like PP farming I guess, thanks for the heads up!